• 27.5” wheels, with new carbon ENVE M70 option
    • RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air160mm fork
    • RockShox Monarch Plus Debonair or Vivid Air RC2 shock
    • USA pricing from $6,599 complete for SRAM X01 build, inc. Reverb Stealth
    • $2,999 frame only
    • Frame weight from 6.2 lbs (2.8 kg)
    • Complete from 27.1 lbs (12.3kg)

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I like the numbers except for the 160mm fork. I wonder if anyone is making a 170mm fork to fit the new 27" wheels?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    X-Fusion Vengeance.

mtbr member
    Or the Metric from X-Fusion!
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    thats the fork this bike shouildve been designed around.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Fox 36 27.5 with ??? travel.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Our new MRP Stage fork can be had at 170mm.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

banned
    Oct 2004
    All reports are the older 36 lowers will work just fine w/ 27.5 wheels. And from the Bronson side, there are a few guys running these forks w that frame w/ good results.

mtbr member
    I like the way they do the lower link above the crank BB shell, like Ibis.

I hope all their redesigns from now on will be like that.
    Last edited by CrozCountry; 04-01-2014 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    The DebonAir looks interesting on the bike..

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-p5pb10758537.jpg

PB Take
    Riding three different makes of bicycles with suspension travel ranging from 150, to 120 and 100-millimeters over Moab's chunky red rock trails provided a good foundation for assessing the effects of RockShox's DebonAir air sleeve. Longer-travel bikes get the most performance from the DebonAir upgrade, because the shock-spring can be charged with slightly higher air pressure, which supports the suspension in the mid-stroke without suffering from rough small-bump compliance. The improvement is also notable under power, because the shock stays up in its travel more and also keeps the rear end from settling on climbs. DebonAir seemed less effective on the 100-millimeter-travel bike, where the shock tended to run through its travel unless the air pressure was set quite high. And even with the higher PSI values, we didn't have to push the bike hard to use full travel. The red rocks are tough on any suspension, but the the consensus was that, for a bike with minimal suspension travel, a more progressive spring curve would reserve the last third of the shock stroke for bigger hits. That said, for long and mid-travel trailbikes, the DebonAir gives Monarch RT3 and RTC shocks the deeper feel that they needed to match the performance increase of the RockShox Pike fork. The DebonAir-equipped 140-millimeter-travel bikes were fitted with Pike forks, and they felt far better balanced fore and aft across a wide range of speed and terrain. While a hundred bucks may seem steep for an air can, it is a far less expensive option than the price of a new replacement for riders looking to improve the performance of their Monarch RC3 Plus shocks. - RC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Thumbs up on that

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think Vivid Air will be a better option for guys that had coil shock or heavy duty air shock on the old Nomad. That's what I ordered the bike with. The Debonair seems like a good improvement to the Monarch Plus, but I doubt it's on the level of Vivid Air on downhill sections. And btw, the Vivid Air is the second generation version that they introduced last year.

old school...
    Bos Deville 170mm or 160mm 27,5" DEVILLE 170 would be perfect fork for the new Nomad
    I love the smell of TF2 chain lube in the morning.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone has thoughts about when the aluminum version of Nomad3 27.5 will come out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    I like the numbers except for the 160mm fork. I wonder if anyone is making a 170mm fork to fit the new 27" wheels?
    I think I'd prefer to stick with a 160mm fork and preserve the original geo unless I was only going to use it for bike park/shuttling. There are other options coming though - there's a Fox 36 in the promo video.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Are you sure that was a 36, and not a 34? I don't see the axle qr levers on the lowers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Are you sure that was a 36, and not a 34? I don't see the axle qr levers on the lowers.
    someone posted this on the other thread. its a screencap from the video:

PULL
    What a rad bike! Not something I'd enjoy riding up-hill without a dual position fork but it would be worth it once you point it down!

mtbr member
    Christ - that blue is fackin hideous. Black looks good tho. Interested to test this out and compare to my previous gen Nomad.

mtbr member
    Anybody know anything about the ENVE wheels that are on it?
    Seems to be that Josh Bryceland has been running some DH version's as well.
    All I can find out is a new naming system and maybe a new cross section to the rim profile.
    The ones on the Nomad are badged M70thirty Bryceland's are badged M90ten.
    From what I have gathered this is a percentage of decent / climb usage i.e. 70/30 90/10
    I'm asking as I'v just ordered up my second set of ENVE's (AM's) and don't want to get caught out by a better rim being available in the next few months.

mtbr member
    It has pinch bolts on the lowers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    you can remove the levers and use bolts instead

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-36-650b.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondratuk View Post
    Anybody know anything about the ENVE wheels that are on it?
    Seems to be that Josh Bryceland has been running some DH version's as well.
    All I can find out is a new naming system and maybe a new cross section to the rim profile.
    The ones on the Nomad are badged M70thirty Bryceland's are badged M90ten.
    From what I have gathered this is a percentage of decent / climb usage i.e. 70/30 90/10
    I'm asking as I'v just ordered up my second set of ENVE's (AM's) and don't want to get caught out by a better rim being available in the next few months.
    BikeRumor mentioned this in their article about the Nomad this morning. just passing along:
    "Sharp eyed readers will also notice the Enve Wheels sporting a special “70″ badge next to the normal decals. We’re under embargo until April 8th, but you can let your guesses rip in the comments section."
    First Look: The All New Santa Nomad 650B with Updated VPP Linkage (UPDATED!)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not super excited about 27.5 Fox 36 anymore. They have to prove that they are ahead of Rock Shox's offerings. I bet that they are coming out with a 27.5 Lyrik w/ Charger damper in response. And btw, at least here in Europe aftermarket Fox 36 is double the price of aftermarket Lyrik. For the price of Fox 36 one can probably buy the upcoming DVO Diamond.

mtbr member
    Any information on the shock size in the new Nomad. Is it the same 8.5x2.5?
    Since I don't like the colour let me keep my shock
    Ride More, Drive Less

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The new "Nomad" is really a VP-Free to me. 74 degree seat angle and 800mm bars. This bike is way more freeride than enduro. Bronson is now the defacto enduro bike and the Nomad the light freeride bike. Don't expect to win races or beat your old strava times if there are significant climbing portions on your runs.

"Its All Good"
    This has come about not needing a front der, so design could be changed.... A great improvement to
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    That's a LOOOOOONG bike; super long reach, slack HT. Wheelbase is longer that the Enduro 29 in comparable sizes! It's sure to absolutely rail on fast DH, but I wonder how it'll do on tighter techy sections? And I can't imagine it'd be great on techy climbs. Not really what it's made for. Really curious to try one out, and in particular to compare to the Mach6. Nomad is a full 2" longer in wheelbase than M6!

mtbr member
    I just wanted to say the new bike looks "neat". I've been resisting trying a bike with a new wheel size (hate to buy new King wheels and tires) but with the new Canfield Balance and now this... well... hmmmmm. Anyone want to buy a pristene black carbon XL?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik2k10 View Post
    This bike is way more freeride than enduro. Bronson is now the defacto enduro bike and the Nomad the light freeride bike. Don't expect to win races or beat your old strava times if there are significant climbing portions on your runs.
    The Bronson is the defacto because it was the best SC available for enduro races, but there were many euro riders who kept their 26" Nomads last year. Now SC's enduro racers will pick which one works best for different races.

I think the bikes are very complementary- Bronson for smoother, pedally enduro courses, Nomad for lift assisted gnar/former DH track races. Very similar to the relationship between the Blur LT and the Nomad.

The committed racer would have both style bikes and choose based on the course. The one bike racer/rider would choose based on their strengths/weaknesses or the terrain where they live.

I own a Bronson, wish I could justify a Nomad!
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    Not super excited about 27.5 Fox 36 anymore. They have to prove that they are ahead of Rock Shox's offerings. I bet that they are coming out with a 27.5 Lyrik w/ Charger damper in response. And btw, at least here in Europe aftermarket Fox 36 is double the price of aftermarket Lyrik. For the price of Fox 36 one can probably buy the upcoming DVO Diamond.
    I just posted the pic as a point of conversation. I ride a Pike currently and I also think they will introduce an updated Lyrik. Here in the US there is a $40 difference at retail between a 36 Float RC2 and a Lyrik Solo Air.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmark View Post

The committed racer would have both style bikes and choose based on the course. The one bike racer/rider would choose based on their strengths/weaknesses or the terrain where they live.

I own a Bronson, wish I could justify a Nomad!
    I'll have a Tallboy LT and Nomad - that should cover the bases!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    The new "Nomad" is really a VP-Free to me. 74 degree seat angle and 800mm bars. This bike is way more freeride than enduro. Bronson is now the defacto enduro bike and the Nomad the light freeride bike. Don't expect to win races or beat your old strava times if there are significant climbing portions on your runs.
    The new Nomad is purpose built for the highest level of enduro racing. Probably more bike than needed for a lot of folks, but at the same time more versatile in some ways. There is a whole host of new enduro bikes coming (or already out) that are very similar - YT Capra, Orbea Rallon X, GT's new bike, Devinci's new bike, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2005

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    The axle looks like the "Kabolt" that Fox had on their RAD 15mm forks....saves up to 50g over the QR15 but you need a 8mm hex to do up though...could be their 20mm version?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Liking the fact that they are making the front derailleur sacrifice to get the rear end shorter. It gives me hope that they'll do the same thing with a "Goldilocks" 29er (Tallboy TR?) sometime soon.

Illuminati
    just to echo a lot of other peoples comments, it does look very well put together & as a few others have mentioned, the now hidden lower VPP link is a good idea. maybe if future frames are designed around not having a front derailleur, this will become commonplace

banned
    Oct 2004

Re: The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Nicely done!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Ow!
    What? SC isn't even going to offer a 26" Nomad anymore? What happens when my 26" Nomadc breaks? Do I have to get one with those big wheels.

Oh, it is April 1. Hah! Funny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well done SC! They have nailed this nicely. However, I don't get the increase reach claim. It's longer than the old Nomad yes, but the reach number is shorter than a Solo - am I looking at a size typo in the tables?

Great to see they have made the BB height just right. Really a top notch bike there, yum.

Obviously it will go perfectly with their other new bikes this year.

One of these and a new 100mm FS 27.5 will be the perfect pair thank you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    That's a LOOOOOONG bike; super long reach, slack HT. Wheelbase is longer that the Enduro 29 in comparable sizes! It's sure to absolutely rail on fast DH, but I wonder how it'll do on tighter techy sections? And I can't imagine it'd be great on techy climbs. Not really what it's made for. Really curious to try one out, and in particular to compare to the Mach6. Nomad is a full 2" longer in wheelbase than M6!

- Sure didn't seem to affect the guy's in the video.....

Jus' sayin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    The new Nomad is purpose built for the highest level of enduro racing. Probably more bike than needed for a lot of folks, but at the same time more versatile in some ways.
    So they only need to sell 10-20 for top privateers?

I suspect the slack HT may be more trail worthy than we suspect. My blur4x with a 140 pike was (according to geometrycalc) was 66.5 and I was surprised at how it carved in the 10-15mph range. The pivot Mach 6 has gotten some good feedback at 66 -

The reach and wheelbase on I these appears to be stretched, but if you think about it what's a two inch stretch the front axle? At big mountain speeds the sizes make sense, and if your just in the hills maybe a 150 fork and a +1 Angleset could help out (66.5 HA?).

I think SC is gonna knock this one outta the park.

Also - baby blue/pink is AWESOME!
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    The new "Nomad" is really a VP-Free to me.
    It even kind of looks like the VP Free!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    - Sure didn't seem to affect the guy's in the video.....

Jus' sayin'.
    Well, they did take a horse to the top instead of riding, and they were blasting down straight, wide-open trails at ludicrous speeds.

My point is that this seems to be what this bike is made for, and the stretched geo. might make it feel a bit ungainly in tight forest twisties or when playing around at the bike park. It probably won't be the greatest climber, and it probably won't be super "flickable" compared to something like a Mach6. All supposition until we can try one of course. I'm sure it'll be a great bike for what it's designed for, going very fast downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's what people get for encouraging that Miami Vice Heckler...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ugh! What is up with the recent colors from SC. I hope this new color scheme is an April Fool's joke. Always been a fan of their bikes(have owned a number of SC bikes over the years and currently considering another), just wish there would be some better color choices to pick from. When you only get two choices for colors now vs a variety of colors in the past, I'd like to see something with a more universal appeal. Sorry, to each their own I guess. Still think they make great bikes...must be getting fuddy duddy with age . Back to the topic, the new Nomad certainly looks like a great addition to their current lineup.
    Last edited by Duh-luth; 04-01-2014 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    So they only need to sell 10-20 for top privateers?

I suspect the slack HT may be more trail worthy than we suspect. My blur4x with a 140 pike was (according to geometrycalc) was 66.5 and I was surprised at how it carved in the 10-15mph range. The pivot Mach 6 has gotten some good feedback at 66 -

The reach and wheelbase on I these appears to be stretched, but if you think about it what's a two inch stretch the front axle? At big mountain speeds the sizes make sense, and if your just in the hills maybe a 150 fork and a +1 Angleset could help out (66.5 HA?).

I think SC is gonna knock this one outta the park.

Also - baby blue/pink is AWESOME!
    I don't disagree! Just pointing out what it was made for to the naysayers. I'd ride one in a minute and will most likely get one myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Absolutely love the new colour schemes! If the 5010 comes in baby blue/pink then I have my next bike.

mtbr member
    It has fairly short chainstays. Anyone gonna buy one and put 26" wheels on it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I'll have a Tallboy LT and Nomad - that should cover the bases!
    Funny. I just answered a PM asking how I was liking my Bronson and I replied that the Bronson is a great quiver of one. If I had a high limit credit card though, I'd be having a TBLTc and Nomad

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post

Pau11y's opinion does not matter. He thinks overfilling a lower oil bath will pop a damper bladder before it blows a wiper seal out of a lower :facepalm:

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    It has fairly short chainstays. Anyone gonna buy one and put 26" wheels on it?
    No.

mtbr member
    I'll be the first then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I'll be the first then.
    Get 165mm cranks and a bash guard to go with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zauberer View Post
    you can remove the levers and use bolts instead

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 650b.jpg 
Views:	13527 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	881775
    What kind of deraileur and crank is that? 1x10 1x11 shimano?

banned
    Oct 2004

Re: The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Pau11y's opinion does not matter. He thinks overfilling a lower oil bath will pop a damper bladder before it blows a wiper seal out of a lower :facepalm:
    True, but maybe you should ask from where I had piece together that info.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have an old NomadC with 65.5HA (-1.5 angleset) and haven't noticed any problems climbing. To me it would be silly to have a steep HA for the 1% of short steep climbs here, because 99% of time I try to go as fast as I can even when it's flat (but rooty and rocky). I actually expect the 2014 Nomad to be a better climber because the X01 build is going to be at least 600g lighter than my current Nomad and because of the updated geo. I think many people haven't tried slack HA's on AM/enduro bikes. It's a completely different feeling than DH bike because the the whole bike is more efficient.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Am I the only one who noticed the black ano hardware? Meaning the derailleur hanger bolt as well as the pivot bolts and conical washers (I know the pivot axles have always been black ano). I need to get me some of those for my Bronson and V10! Wonder if that will be a running change on all their bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have an old NomadC with 65.5HA (-1.5 angleset) and haven't noticed any problems climbing. .
    You'll only notice a 65HA on a really steep section. But the bigger change is the new nomads seat angle. You'll not be able to lay down the power at that angle like a typical enduro bike. That will affect the bikes ability to climb more than a 600g weight reduction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Might be true, but this is what SC says:

"The seat tube angle was also made steeper because the more travel a bike has, the more weight you put on the rear suspension as you climb. So as you start uphill, the bike sits further into its sag, which causes the front end to wander. By steepening the seat tube angle and increasing the reach of the bike, you place the rider in a better position over the BB when negotiating hill climbs."

Copy-paste from here:
    Exclusive First Photos of The New Santa Cruz Nomad, Plus Weigh In!

mtbr member
    that makes sense on the seat tube angle since the only time you seat is when you climb and/or on a fairly flat section.
    Still I wish the Top tube to be a bit longer like the Knolly.
    But nonetheless, this top tube is long enough by Santa Cruz standard.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

In any case a 36 Talas 27.5 or Pike Dual would be a great help in the climbs

mtbr member
    As far as seat tube angle, the reach is actually on the long side. 0.8" longer than tallboy, which is XCish geometry.
    The actual seat angle is probably because of the long rear travel combined with bigger wheel. Bottom line its a longer cockpit, should climb OK.

Longer front, shorter rear, 65 degrees head, reminds me a lot the specialized enduro.

mtbr member
    Might be true, but this is what SC says:

"The seat tube angle was also made steeper because the more travel a bike has, the more weight you put on the rear suspension as you climb. So as you start uphill, the bike sits further into its sag, which causes the front end to wander. By steepening the seat tube angle and increasing the reach of the bike, you place the rider in a better position over the BB when negotiating hill climbs."

Copy-paste from here:
    Exclusive First Photos of The New Santa Cruz Nomad, Plus Weigh In!
    That's something you typically hear about bikes without a lot of anti-squat so I'm surprised to see that for a VPP bike.

Folks are saying the opposite about the Mach 6 [dwlink] for example - that the slack STA makes sense because the bike doesn't sink into its travel when you climb the way an active design does.

Bottom line though - all arm chair engineering in the world doesn't matter as long as the bike rides well.

I'm looking forward to some real world reports from owners...I'm sure every mag/web review will be glowing. That's not telling us anything.

On paper anyway the new bike looks like a worthy rig to carry the Nomad name....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    That's something you typically hear about bikes without a lot of anti-squat so I'm surprised to see that for a VPP bike.

Folks are saying the opposite about the Mach 6 [dwlink] for example - that the slack STA makes sense because the bike doesn't sink into its travel when you climb the way an active design does.

Bottom line though - all arm chair engineering in the world doesn't matter as long as the bike rides well.

I'm looking forward to some real world reports from owners...I'm sure every mag/web review will be glowing. That's not telling us anything.

On paper anyway the new bike looks like a worthy rig to carry the Nomad name....
    Two ways of thinking about this, though. I think they just mean that on a positive incline, your sag position is necessarily lower in the rear due to a change in your weight vector relative to the bike. So separate from "squat" which is a dynamic phenomenon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Well done SC! They have nailed this nicely. However, I don't get the increase reach claim. It's longer than the old Nomad yes, but the reach number is shorter than a Solo - am I looking at a size typo in the tables?

Great to see they have made the BB height just right. Really a top notch bike there, yum.

Obviously it will go perfectly with their other new bikes this year.

One of these and a new 100mm FS 27.5 will be the perfect pair thank you.
    I think there's a typo; the imperial measurements show the L nomad reach at 17.2, and 5010 at 16.8 - switch to metric and nomad is listed as shorter reach than 5010.

If imperial is right I'd be on a M nomad and L everything else - but that's because if tone it Down/steepen HA for hill country and wouldnt see more than one or two rides in the rocky' a year - and maybe a trip to whistler.

Joe G alluded to the link movement having a place in future applications like XC in one of the articles (bikerumor or PB). I bet we'll see a 100mm 27.5 with 68.5hA, 74SA and 16.8 stays and the standard 5010/bronson style TT lengths, Internal routing/dropper guides, and full "magenta" color scheme.

How cool would it be to have a nomad and XC with inverted colors - blue nomad and magenta XC?
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post

Name:	p4pb10776261.jpg 
Views:	22110 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	881687

Name:	p4pb10776339.jpg 
Views:	26960 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	881688

This made my day yesterday! It also made my new dream bike easier to choose.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

I have both a VPP and a DW-link bike and if you ride both on true all-mountain rides - climb for your descent kind of stuff, you'll certainly notice that VPP sags down into the travel much more than DW-link which sits quite high while climbing - almost the opposite of the TALAS idea - raised back end vs lowered front. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying that the Nomad could use a little help from sagging where the DW-link could use a little help settling down into the travel while climbing. And I mean "a little" as in subtle help. YMMV.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

Hey Vikb, I noticed this too and was thinking about it in context of the Bronson vs. M6. I found the Bronson to squat more than the M6 for sure, based on my subjective feel (and different shocks so caveat there.) I suppose SC could vary the amount of anti-squat in each implementation of the VPP; the Nomad's rear suspension is clearly new with the very short lower link and V10 style upper, which maybe behaves more like a single-pivot, less anti-squat but more active for DH performance?

It does seem like the steep STA and long reach would put one in a non-optimal pedaling position on flat trails. But as you say, we're going to need to ride one to find out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    I think there's a typo; the imperial measurements show the L nomad reach at 17.2, and 5010 at 16.8 - switch to metric and nomad is listed as shorter reach than 5010.

If imperial is right I'd be on a M nomad and L everything else - but that's because if tone it Down/steepen HA for hill country and wouldnt see more than one or two rides in the rocky' a year - and maybe a trip to whistler.
    I'm missing something or the website has been corrected - it looks like for any given size the Reach on the Nomad is slightly longer than the 5010. Which makes sense because you'd be using a shorter stem on the Nomad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Seems like bike designs these days are really converging. All the new ones are so similar geometry wise. This just looks like a Rocky Mtn Altitude w VPP to me. Interesting they moved the upper link. Joe Graney talked about how the old way was a constraint on steepening the seat angles. This is the solution it looks like. I bet going forward all their frames will go this way. They have all been too slack esp. if you ran a longer fork than spec.

One big criticism I have is the new lower link setup, which looks like a big problem if you ride in the mud. It's just gonna pack up ridiculous in that space between the ST and rear triangle. Regular VPP lower is bad enough in mud, this looks far worse. Fine for CA, not fine for places where it actually rains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    One big criticism I have is the new lower link setup, which looks like a big problem if you ride in the mud. It's just gonna pack up ridiculous in that space between the ST and rear triangle. Regular VPP lower is bad enough in mud, this looks far worse. Fine for CA, not fine for places where it actually rains.
    question: has this been a big problem in the past on Ibis Mojos or BMC Trailfox?
    Both bikes have the lower link for many years in a comparable position as the new Nomad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, anywhere where they can run a 1X set up on a bike. Wow, your bet hurts - I read those numbers and that is a world of pain - only because I'd want one of those.

The world needs more magenta....

fan of maple syrup
    After digesting it for a few days now ... I have to say I'm missing the Nomad's signature curved top tube. It probably served no purpose other than aesthetics, and it had already been tamed between Nomad 1 & Nomad 2.

But I was hoping it'd at least slightly be there in Nomad 3.

Having said that, I still wouldn't say no to someone if they held a gun to my head and told me to take the free one they're offering me.

mtbr member

radical

mtbr member
    I like everything but the HTA. 65 deg is fine but with a 160 Pike? Really? Those forks are short (A/C) for their length (a good 3mm shorter than a Fox 34 160) so going with something with a longer-than-average A/C like a Vengeance 170 (what the bike SHOULD come with IMHO) you're looking closer to 64 deg for the HTA getting down in the range of full on DH. Could be the first bike I'd ever consider installing a Works headset backwards on! Everything else looks dialed and BOUT TIME they figured out the shorter CS's and lower BB's along with longer WB's IS WHERE IT'S AT! Can't wait to demo one.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    the Nomad's rear suspension is clearly new with the very short lower link
    Not so, JOE GRANEY words
    "The link length is similar to other VPP bikes, but its just tucked up and hidden from view."

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just ordered the bike! Black X0-1 with Vivid Air.

I think they should have put some chainguard on the bike. At least E thirteen XCX+, but preferably something with taco.

Also thinking that WTB i25 would have been a better choice for this bike than i23? The i23 will probably work fine with Maxxis 2.3 tires, but if going for wider Maxxis 2.4 tires, then I think the added width of i25 would have provided better stability in hard cornering. I remember switching from DT EX500 to Flow EX and it was a huge improvement in cornering with 1.8-2.0bar pressures because the tire would not roll from the rim anymore.

But these are still minor gripes. Overall I think the build kit is great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm curious about the new reach numbers. I originally had a L NomadC and then switched frames to an XL I'm happier on the XL because the 1" longer top tube on that bike let me go to a shorter stem (90mm->70mm) but now with the new Nomad that L frame is 1" longer in the top tube length, so I wonder which size I'd be

The reach on the Nomad 2 was 16.8 for the XL and the new Nomad is longer on the L!

The Bronson is similar so has anyone done the dance between the old Nomad and the Bronson and noticed a difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I like everything but the HTA. 65 deg is fine but with a 160 Pike? Really? Those forks are short (A/C) for their length (a good 3mm shorter than a Fox 34 160) so going with something with a longer-than-average A/C like a Vengeance 170 (what the bike SHOULD come with IMHO) you're looking closer to 64 deg for the HTA getting down in the range of full on DH.
    According to the geo chart the HA is based on a 554mm A2C length which is based on the Fox 34. My plan is to use the Pike/Monarch Plus for trail/AM riding and pick up a X-Fusion RV1 (559mm A2C @ 180mm travel) and a coil shock for downhill park riding. If you want a 170mm fork for trail riding, the new X-Fusion Metric is only 560mm A2C @ 170mm travel (and lighter than the Vengeance), but I don't know if you can get a 10mm travel spacer for it, it is only listed officially at 180/160mm. The Metric at 170 would only slacken the HA by like .25 degrees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakeka View Post
    Any information on the shock size in the new Nomad. Is it the same 8.5x2.5?
    Since I don't like the colour let me keep my shock
    Confirmed, same as the old Nomad.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Will the Vivid Air be good enough for climbing? Maybe someone has some experience with the Vivid Air in VPP bikes. I am wondering if I should go for the Monarch or the Vivid. My preference will be on the descents but for me it won't be a park and race bike only so it should be able to climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think xfusion vector air would be the nuts on this bike
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    Will the Vivid Air be good enough for climbing...
    I've used a Vivid Air on my Gen 2 Nomad for few years now. I like it. I do think a Monarch RC3+ or something like that with a compression lever would climb better. But, the Vivid is fine, and is so controlled for jumping and rough stuff.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I think they should have put some chainguard on the bike. At least E thirteen XCX+, but preferably something with taco.
    You should check out our MRP AMg.

I'll probably go full-on and use a Mini G3 though, this is gonna be my gnar-gnar bike afterall.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

Slower But Faster
    Will the Vivid Air be good enough for climbing? Maybe someone has some experience with the Vivid Air in VPP bikes. I am wondering if I should go for the Monarch or the Vivid. My preference will be on the descents but for me it won't be a park and race bike only so it should be able to climb.
    My Mk2 Nomad climbs great with a DHX RC4 so a Vivid Air should be fine. The VPP bikes don't seem to need a lot in the way of "platform" in the shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    I think xfusion vector air would be the nuts on this bike
    Kills it on my Bronson so I'm sure you're right!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Old vs New

Hi guys and gals,

Came across a preview article of the 2014 Nomad 27.5 where SC had both bikes almost side by side in their reception/foyer.

Personally I think the previous gen Nomad looks nicer as it has 'swoopier' lines whereas the Nomad 27.5 with its straight tubes looks more generic.

So...if you are like me and like the look of the old, but prefer the 27.5 size on the basis that it is the best of 26ers and 29ers then I have a solution. A REALLY BIG 26' wheelset/tyre combo that almost takes you up to 27.5 size.

Ladies and Gents I present to you the all new old Nomad C (You can all thank me later)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-santa-cruz-nomad2-nomad-3.jpg  

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-2-side-flat.jpg  

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-2-side-.jpg  

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-2-side-oblique.jpg  

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-2-side-lhs.jpg  

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-front-wheel.jpg  

The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-rear-wheel-detail.jpg  

mtbr member
    I hope shimano sees the writing on the wall. High end mountain bikes are starting to come without a way to mount a front derailleur (unless you want to hack something ugly like BB mount derailleur).

mtbr member
    One of the best dampers I've ever bolted on my Nomad. Of course with all the different stuff I try, I had to sell it to try other stuff. But you can find my settings here somewhere... if you search.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I hope shimano sees the writing on the wall. High end mountain bikes are starting to come without a way to mount a front derailleur (unless you want to hack something ugly like BB mount derailleur).
    Has everyone forgotten SRAM's Hammerschmidt - virtually maintenance free and bombproof. What more could you ask for? Have used it on three bikes so far and dread the day when such a system will exist no more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The new 2014 Santa Cruz Nomad 27.5.-img_1400.jpg

Picked mine up on the 1st.
    Got out for a ride today.. pretty sweet so far.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by moreda_5 View Post

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg 
Views:	32014 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	882473

Picked mine up on the 1st.
    Got out for a ride today.. pretty sweet so far.
    How is climbing with that beast?did you have a Nomad before to compare with the new one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    From my experience with NomadC Mk2 and different shocks, I would say that climbing won't be a problem with Vivid Air. VPP resists bobbing by itself and if you want to enhance platform effect, you just crank up the low speed adjuster (which the Vivid Air has) until you find a good balance. For example with RC4 I have it set about mid-way in the range, like many other people. With that being said, Monarch Plus has a 3-position compression switch (Open, Pedal, Lock) that may appeal to some people. Personally I don't want to be flipping a switch all the time, since we don't have long fire road climbs down here. But of course one part of the equation is that the bike is cheaper with the Monarch Plus... But if you are talking about park bike use, then I would certainly consider Vivid Air. That's my main reason for ordering the bike with it, and I have also got used to the plushness and good tracking with the RC4 on the old bike...

Btw, does anyone know if the bike uses the same derailleur hanger as Bronson?

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I asked to SC about the hanger and it's the same as the NomadC ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The hanger is the same as on Bronson! That's what SC told me, got a reply from Joe. They should include this info in the FAQ section...

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

So the question is, is the hanger of the Bronson the same as the hanger of the old nomad? Haha

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I've just checked both hangers and are the same

mtbr member
    May 2005
    From my experience with NomadC Mk2 and different shocks, I would say that climbing won't be a problem with Vivid Air. VPP resists bobbing by itself and if you want to enhance platform effect, you just crank up the low speed adjuster (which the Vivid Air has) until you find a good balance. For example with RC4 I have it set about mid-way in the range, like many other people. With that being said, Monarch Plus has a 3-position compression switch (Open, Pedal, Lock) that may appeal to some people. Personally I don't want to be flipping a switch all the time, since we don't have long fire road climbs down here. But of course one part of the equation is that the bike is cheaper with the Monarch Plus... But if you are talking about park bike use, then I would certainly consider Vivid Air. That's my main reason for ordering the bike with it, and I have also got used to the plushness and good tracking with the RC4 on the old bike...

Btw, does anyone know if the bike uses the same derailleur hanger as Bronson?

Thank you for your opinion! Looks like it will be the Vivid Air for me too...

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury25 View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

So...if you are like me and like the look of the old, but prefer the 27.5 size on the basis that it is the best of 26ers and 29ers then I have a solution. A REALLY BIG 26' wheelset/tyre combo that almost takes you up to 27.5 size.

Ladies and Gents I present to you the all new old Nomad C (You can thank me later)
    well almost, try the 26+ pkg of P35's with surly dirt wizard 2.75's and that equates to 275.......however rear stay fitment may very well not accept this combo as they must be mmmm 72mm of clearance to stuff it in there. ok quick remove wheel and measure...

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast