mtbr member
    Jul 2013

need some help for my first Santa Cruz and first FS bike!!

Hey everyone,

I have been testing and riding bikes for the past few weeks. I had about 15 bikes I was looking at, and have narrowed the field substantially. I was hoping I could access some of your knowledge to help me decide which direction to go.

For the past 13 years, have been riding a 26" Klein HT. It has been and continues to be a great bike. However, wanting to do a bit more, hence the search for a new bike.

The final contenders have been the SC TBLT, the Cannondale Trigger, and as of last night, I added the SC Solo.

When I first started looking, was looking in the range of 3-4k for a bike. I have the ladies' approval on the lower end of that range, but I hope to work a bit more in there.

I have only been able to test these bikes around the city, finding some fields, a few places to climb up off ramp hills etc.

As of now, love the TBLT and the Solo the most. I know the differences between them as far as one being 29er and the other 650b. I have been on the internet constantly for 2 weeks reading all sorts of opinions in regards to this dilemma

The LBS is willing to let me get the lesser kit, and then trade in some of the kit and upgrade to XT. I loved the feel of the XT brakes especially. They will be able to help with cost there.

Then I find myself wondering if there is that much of a difference with the Carbon frames? I'm 5'9 and 190 pounds. I have been testing the L frame and everyone says it looks just fine, the M is 1" shorter on the tube, but I haven't been able to test one yet.

Any suggestions would be great and helpful. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Don't worry how it looks to other people, how does it feel? FWIW I am close to 6 ft. and ride a large. Medium was definitely too small for me so maybe you are right in the middle and can go either way.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am exactly 5'10" in stocking feet, with slightly longish arms. I own a medium Superlight 29er. Have to run a longish stem, 100 mm right now. I bought the medium with the thought my wife could ride it if I ever bought a new bike. When I went to a Santa Cruz demo a few weeks ago, the demo crew was adamant that I demo a large. I am skinny, so look taller than 5'10". When I told them I was exactly 5'10", they still said large. So I rode a Blur TRc and Bronson C in large. Better fit for me, so I plan on purchasing a large Solo at some point. I would say measure yourself exactly in stocking feet. If you have a level, use that on the top of your head and make sure it is level. If you under 5'9" try a medium. If you are over 5'9", you probably could go either way. The smaller frame would have a shorter wheelbase, making it a little more nimble, but you would need to run a longer stem or wider bars than on the large.

Not sure what you are asking about "difference with Carbon frames" Do you mean size or compared to aluminum?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey guys,

thanks for all of your help, much appreciated!!

I was extremely fortunate today. I went to a bike shop and test rode the TBLTc which I really enjoyed. After that, I was close to another shop that I had been to several times. The sales guy I usually work with wasn't there yet, but saw a new orange carbon solo they were setting up. Man it looked nice!! Started talking with the mechanics about this and that, and we figured the solo would be the best bet for me. They happened to have 2 of them in a M and a L. They thought the medium. The mechanic was also great in that he told me a good place to go. About a 10 minutes ride from the store, but lots of uphill and then some good trails to try the bike on. Much better than around the store and around a parking lot

Weird, loved the bike, but felt too pushed forward. Noticed in the single track trails, that it was a bit squirely, noticed it more on the climbs. I couldn't hold a line. Climbed great, but I wasn't as confident. I thought perhaps it was that I had ridden so many 29" bikes. That ride lasted around an hour. I got back, and decided to do the route again with the L, just to see. For me, night and day difference! Those uphills were straight! Felt great in every way!

So, ended up ordering a Solo C in orange. Should be ready in a few days! Can't wait!