Some Assembly Required

Narrow/wide chain rings...anyone running them on 2 x 9 drivetrain....any issues?

Time to replace the chain rings on my 1st gen Nomad. I have been running Race Face 26t-36t dual up ft & I'm considering getting a narrow/wide 36t ring instead of a std 36t ring & I am wondering if anyone is or has tried running them & if there are any problems??

Thanks & I appreciate any & all help,

asymmetrical
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I have only used in a single ring set up. I would imagine shifting would be terrible if you used a narrow wide ring.

mtbr member
    It won't work with 2 x up front, they only work with 1 x.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    It won't work with 2 x up front, they only work with 1 x.
    Totally, I changed some cranks on a bike recently that had a WTC NW ring..... physically had to pinch the chain with my fingers and pull it up to get it off that chainring (this is with no tension on the chain from the derailluer either!!!)

No front derailluer would have pushed that chain off.

fastdownhill
    I have been using the WTC 32T on my Nomad along with a x-9 type 2 never dropped a chain works flawless

mtbr member
    If the chain goes on a narrow-wide chainring one tooth off, it won't fit at all. A slip during shifting and you'll have to stop and sort it out by hand.

Also there's no benefit to a narrow-wide ring because you already have a chain device: the front derailleur.

You don't mention any trouble regarding dropped chains so I suggest you forget about the narrow-wide. Or if you do get one, ditch the granny ring and front derailleur and consider a 34t size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Or if you do get one, ditch the granny ring and front derailleur and consider a 34t size.
    This!!

Creepy tooth fairy

Answer this question...

...how often or what percentage of the time do you find yourself using your granny ring? Then go find a gearing ratio chart like this from Wolf Tooth and do your homework.

I think narrow/wide chainrings are awesome, but they are designed to run only by themselves. Decide how much you really need the smaller ring and then choose the appropriate front ring. On my hardtail, a steel Surly Instigator (32 lbs) I have a single 32t ring matched to a 9 speed rear cluster (11-34) for comparison. I can climb pretty much anything here (GA, NC, TN...that believe it or not has very similar terrain to BC in some areas) rarely having to walk. On long steady spins it can be taxing.

I think SRAM's 11 speed offerings with their wide range cassette and X-horizon rear derailleur are bada$$, but still very costly. A far less expensive alternative is to score a General Lee converter for a 10 speed cassette. These can be had on eBay for about $225. My friend has one and loves it. This the route I plan to go.

On my new bike I will have a 30t Wolf Tooth ring (their stuff is really solid, beefier than everything else I have seen) and a 11-40 rear cassette with the General Lee. I will also run a MRP AMG because as good as the drop stop rings are they are not infallible, plus I can use the taco guard instead of a bash ring. Get some!
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Some Assembly Required
    Thanx everyone....gonna order th old std 36t from Race Face...can't afford th 10 or 11 spd stuff right now...so gonna stick with th old school parts/bits.

Thnx again & Happy Thanxgivin' yall!!!!
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Totally, I changed some cranks on a bike recently that had a WTC NW ring..... physically had to pinch the chain with my fingers and pull it up to get it off that chainring (this is with no tension on the chain from the derailluer either!!!)

No front derailluer would have pushed that chain off.
    Don't get your reasoning.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Don't get your reasoning.....
    He is saying the narrow wide ring won't work in a double ring set up because it holds the chain on so well that the front der. won't be able to shift it.

NedwannaB
    Got it. Was ment for OP on running one of the n/w rings on a 2x setup.
    Last edited by JMac47; 11-27-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: more info.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand View Post
    Time to replace the chain rings on my 1st gen Nomad. I have been running Race Face 26t-36t dual up ft & I'm considering getting a narrow/wide 36t ring instead of a std 36t ring & I am wondering if anyone is or has tried running them & if there are any problems??

Thanks & I appreciate any & all help,
    Any chance to go 1x9 with your setup? You can get a 30 n/w ring and ditch the front chain device.

Creepy tooth fairy

Here ya go...

...scratch my previous desire for the General Lee. I am getting this!!!
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Narrow/wide chain rings...anyone running them on 2 x 9 drivetrain....any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    He is saying the narrow wide ring won't work in a double ring set up because it holds the chain on so well that the front der. won't be able to shift it.
    The better reason is there is no way to guaranty that the chain would engage the proper teeth when shifting onto the wide-narrow ring. Just as likely the narrow chain links would try to fit the wide teeth (and jam) as the proper teeth.

I should bet the chain could be shifted off the wide-narrow ring without too much trouble. Have seen weeds derail the chain from one fairly easily.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    ...scratch my previous desire for the General Lee. I am getting this!!!
    whoa, that looks really interesting Same as the stainless steel one that's sold on ebay, yet heaps lighter.

Only prob I see is it either chewing the driveshell to pieces or, being aluminium, it disintegrating after a few rides due to the huge amount of torque a gear that low receives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    whoa, that looks really interesting Same as the stainless steel one that's sold on ebay, yet heaps lighter.

Only prob I see is it either chewing the driveshell to pieces or, being aluminium, it disintegrating after a few rides due to the huge amount of torque a gear that low receives.
    Thanks for the comments. The OneUp spline width is 4mm this is a similar load bearing area as XX1. We have a lot of climbing miles on these with no damage.

I hope this helps. Thanks for looking.

- Team OneUp

mtbr member
    May 2005

really for all the trouble it's worth, especially if you have a NW chainring set up.

You might as well outlay for X01 (cassette/derailluer/shifter/chain/XD freehub).

Look on line, you can get the above set up for around the US$600 (less cranks) and a little less if you sell your 10spd cass/derl/shtr etc.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    $600 ... For all that where?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    really for all the trouble it's worth, especially if you have a NW chainring set up.

You might as well outlay for X01 (cassette/derailluer/shifter/chain/XD freehub).

Look on line, you can get the above set up for around the US$600 (less cranks) and a little less if you sell your 10spd cass/derl/shtr etc.
    A quick check came up with a best price of more than $700US for just the XO1 RD, cassette and shifter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I started by going from 2x9 to 1x9:

http://www.austinbike.com/repairs/40...ain-conversion

Then hosed my rear derailleur (several years old, unrelated to the conversion). So I went 1x10:

http://www.austinbike.com/product-re...x10-drivetrain

Managed to hose my xt shadow on thanksgiving morning. Talking to the mechanic at the shop he pointed out the extra linkage on the xt, basically it is like having 2 hangers. He's not a fan and I see his point. I sheared a hanger and bent the "second hanger."

But overall I love 1x10 and can't see myself needing anything more. Might go up from 30t to a 32t.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com