mtbr member
    May 2006

My vision of my next bike... what do you think?

Good news is that I'm not in a hurry... I'll order now and I would need the bike in September.

Bad news is that I still have some tough choices to make!!

Here we go...

Frame: size Medium, either the new v.5 (2007) Heckler or the Nomad (tough choice this one....)

Color: either the Polished or the Ano Silver(Heckler) or Ano Slate(Nomad)

Build Kit: Santa Cruz’s X9 AM kit with a couple of changes like Chris King headset and Thomson stem.

Fork: new 2008 Fox 36 Talas RC2

Shock: new 2008 Fox DHX Air 5.0 or DHX 5.0 Coil (still thinking which one to go for… heard from a few people that the DHX Coil is a much better match to the Talas 36 and in general to the frames in question without sacrificing too much on the uphills…?)
    ++

So what do you think guys? Any sugestions?? Changes that I should consider??

Looks are very important to me ;-) and I have this vision of a polished or ano frame, this fork http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bic...08/36talas.jpg and maybe a redish Headset (ChrisKing?) and hubs (DT's?).

Would love to see a photo of a similar build if anyone got it already!!

Thanks

Mike

nerfherder
    Hi Mike,
    What kind of trails do you ride and what kind of riding style do you have? Current bikes? Builds look fine to me. I'd go DHX Coil or RP23 (if available). Other than that, looks good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Hi Mike,
    What kind of trails do you ride and what kind of riding style do you have? Current bikes? Builds look fine to me. I'd go DHX Coil or RP23 (if available). Other than that, looks good.

Thanks for your message.

Well, I'm not into big jumping or freeride, but do ride aggressively on the trails.

I used to have a '06 Titus Motolite with the RP23 shock and Revelation fork, which I sold recently on Ebay. The fit just wasn't right for me (medium felt too big) and I always had the feeling that I needed a burlier bike.

Our downhill trails here are really technical... and I mean the really nasty stuff... kinda like rock gardens but forget about the big smooth rocks... and instead picture rocks of all shapes and sizes, most of them razor sharp... throw in a couple of roots... and now you've got an idea of the kind of trails we ride in my area... but it's fun !! The uphill trails are easier, the normal single track stuff. I do about 70% downhill & 30% uphill.

Thanks

Mike

nerfherder
    I think you're kosher with either bike. Can't go wrong. The Heck will lean more towards the trail bike end of the handling spectrum and the Nomad towards the AM/lite FR end. Pretty sure you'd have fun on either. Some key decision making points: budget, vpp vs. single pivot, and commitment to maintenance. Which way are you leaning?

Members who have read this thread: 0