Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My new Nomad beauty! Stunning!

So here it is, my beautiful!

Here is a brief “build” review. Please don’t ask now, I can’t comment on how it rides, if the Rocco is great and so forth... There is still snow where I live! I will try to get a street ride sometimes this week but real ride report will be coming only in a few weeks.

So what do I think of it. Well looks is absolutely stunning and just sitting on it, the Rocco feels SUPER plush. Sure, looks is a matter of taste but it is always fun to have components that match with the color of the bike so the Marzo Rocco is a great match and the “custom painted” Marzo AM1 fork as well. As far as craftsmanship is concerned, I would say it is very good. The tubes are huge; the rear links look very massive.

Cable routing, especially rear derailleur is really what stands out for me. It was a bit of a pain with my previous 4bar classic horstlink frame, the rear cable would sometimes snag on the seat collar, never again will it happen with the Nomad. The rear cable follows the downtube then passes along the rear, very neat and you can run your housing full length. The rear dropout is a marvel, this inspires much more confidence to me than the flimsy derailleur hanger.

Another thing that surprised me is mud clearance. In the pictures below is a Nevagal 2.35. As you can see, there is plenty of space and this 2.35 almost looks tiny! Impressive, I thought the Nomad would have tight mud clearance with a 2.35, not at all.

So here is my configuration:

Medium Nomad with FloarR shock
    Marzocchi Rocco TI spring rear shock 790g (weighted)
    Marzocchi AM1 fork
    Mavic Xmax XL wheelset
    Kenda Nevagal 2.5 front 2.35 rear tires with Stans goop
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes
    Answer Protaper 2” rise handlebar
    RaceFace Deus 70mm stem
    RaceFace Deus seatpost (love how this seatpost is built)
    RaceFace Deus headset
    Shimano XT crankset
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Shimano XT cassette
    SRAM x9 rear derailleur
    SRAM x9 trigger shifters
    SRAM PC99 chain
    CB Mallet M pedals
    WTB Speed V saddle

Total build of 32.25lbs with Rocco TI shock or 31lbs with the FloatR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hold em high!
    Dec 2005
    Hey BanzaiRider,

She is beautiful! I also love the fork paint job. Just don't go crazy while you wait for good weather. I'm happy for you dude!

MG
    What's that smell???

mtbr member
    Lookin good BZ! Atleast go hit some urban stunts like some stairs or small drops, I would really like to hear how the rear shock feels.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Too Much Fun

Good job! Congrats on getting it done!

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    So here it is, my beautiful!
    I love the two tone action. Also glad to see the 66SL is starting to pick up steam with the Nomad riders.

Please be careful though, you forgot to put on the chain! Ride report ASAP!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Benja, it's not a 66sl it's an AM1, you know that fugly yellow one, repainted to match the Nomad/Rocco style!

Stix, I'll hit a few speed bumps and sidewalks just for ya!

Boulder chucker
    Shaaweet!!!
    Nice ride there Banz! Tell me you're stoked!!!

So, like everyone else, I'd like to hear how the suspension feels to you but I know you're burried in snow and I guess I can wait for that... In the mean time how's the geometry/cockpit feel to you?? I know you did some extensive studying with the "worksheet" so I'm wondering how it came out compared to the real thing?? Does the medium feel like it fits the bill??

And coming in at 32+ a bit with the coil is nice to hear! Gives me great hope.

TNC
    noMAD man

Just plain sucks!

Bwaaaaaah!...LOL! Finally, you got that thing! I guess your dog sled team delivery was faster than Drumstix'. Uh, Banz...I didn't know you had an aversion to decals. Good looking rig, and I know one thing for sure...you did your research. I can't believe that you'll be disappointed. The more I ride mine, the more I'm impressed. Really looking forward to hearing the feedback on that rear shock.

Too Much Fun

Wink Awaiting the Rocco Report!

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Really looking forward to hearing the feedback on that rear shock.
    Yeah, seriously BanzaiRider, I mean NomadRider, Marzo should have offered you a marketing gig long ago. I can't wait to hear what you think of that thing. It BETTER live up to your hype! (It will; Marzo has always satisfied for me...)
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Yeah, seriously BanzaiRider, I mean NomadRider, Marzo should have offered you a marketing gig long ago. I can't wait to hear what you think of that thing. It BETTER live up to your hype! (It will; Marzo has always satisfied for me...)

Thats it benja! Banzi's new handle MarzoMario

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Bwaaaaaah!...LOL! Finally, you got that thing! I guess your dog sled team delivery was faster than Drumstix'. Uh, Banz...I didn't know you had an aversion to decals. Good looking rig, and I know one thing for sure...you did your research. I can't believe that you'll be disappointed. The more I ride mine, the more I'm impressed. Really looking forward to hearing the feedback on that rear shock.

Not to mention that if the driver or jockey (lack of a better term) falls a sleep, those darn dogs will turn right and head straight to the US/Canadian boarder and Mario will end up with my Mad too just like the 6.6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No no, I keep the old one, I've grown into this BanzaiRider!

Some marketing money from Marzo, ho well then, maybe I'd think about it, I'm not THAT much attached to BanzaiRider after all! hahaha

mtbr member
    That red paint is nothing but nice; nice set up, you'll have fun on that bike. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your Rocco.
    turtle

mtbr member
    hey, thats one nice bike you've got there. Im just wondering what bike to get: the santa cruz nomad or the intense 6.6, i just dont know, could u guys give me a recomendation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikeair
    hey, thats one nice bike you've got there. Im just wondering what bike to get: the santa cruz nomad or the intense 6.6, i just dont know, could u guys give me a recomendation?

What type of riding do you like? Fast tight singletrack in the forest, steep DH/FR runs or shuttle runs? These are just a few examples. What type of bikes have you been riding in the past?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You wouldn't believe how much time I spent deciding between those two bikes! Hours, days, weeks, going back and forth, some days thinking, ha the 6.6, other days, ho no, the Nomad and finally, after all this hair pulling nightmare period, I ended up getting the Nomad.

Basically, if like me you can't try both, then you really need to check which geometry fits best your taste/style. The Nomad geometry is a tiny bit more "freeridish" oriented and the 6.6 is a tiny bit more xc oriented. Other then that, it's all minor details for one or the other.

Here are some of the reason why I went to the Nomad but again, there are equal reasons in favor of the 6.6:

- solid dropout instead of a flimsy derailleur hanger
    - very interesting cable routing (I had problems with my previous bike so this is dear to me)!
    - no front derailleur hitting the rear linkage at full travel, some have problems with 6.6
    - longer chainstays then 6.6 should keep front end more planted on climbs
    - a bit slacker head angle and seat angle
    - lower leverage ratio then the 6.6
    - shock size available with the Marzo Rocco, would not have been the case on the 6.6
    - looks, I actually like the hump!
    - feedback from current owners

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reccomendation, i think ill be getting a SC nomad, but heres the question should i get a dhx air, or a rocco rc, i ride really aggresive , yet i pedle up 9 km hills?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reccomendation, i think ill be getting a SC nomad, but heres the question should i get a dhx air, or a rocco rc, i ride really aggresive , yet i pedle up 9 km hills?

I would also consider a DHX-5 coil, might even be the first choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can't get the Rocco directly from SC. I bought my Nomad with the standard FloatR and I bought a Rocco seperate. This way I have the best of both world. An nice coil shock and a light air shock as a backup and for xc days... With all the problems I've read about the DHX air I think if I was you I'd consider the FloatR and when you have the budget you can either have the FloatR tweaked to your taste by Push Industries or you buy a second coil shock like me (Rocco or DHX or CaneCreek).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So i bet it weighs up close to 38lbs once you get the crank and the rest of the drive train on there. TNC is right at 38 lbs or last time it was on the scale in the shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky Mark
    So i bet it weighs up close to 38lbs once you get the crank and the rest of the drive train on there. TNC is right at 38 lbs or last time it was on the scale in the shop.
    Mark, no no, not at all, my total ready to ride build is 32.25lbs with Rocco TI shock and 31lbs with the FloatR. Don't forget I have mostly light weight parts, wheels are Xmax, light crank, no DH bars and stem and my fork is sub 5 pounds. To reach 38 lbs with a frame like the Nomad that weighs less then 7 lbs you really need to have DH parts all around and/or a long heavy fork.

Medium Nomad with FloarR shock
    Marzocchi Rocco TI spring rear shock 790g (weighted)
    Marzocchi AM1 fork
    Mavic Xmax XL wheelset
    Kenda Nevagal 2.5 front 2.35 rear tires with Stans goop
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes
    Answer Protaper 2” rise handlebar
    RaceFace Deus 70mm stem
    RaceFace Deus seatpost (love how this seatpost is built)
    RaceFace Deus headset
    Shimano XT crankset
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Shimano XT cassette
    SRAM x9 rear derailleur
    SRAM x9 trigger shifters
    SRAM PC99 chain
    CB Mallet M pedals
    WTB Speed V saddle

TNC
    noMAD man

Marcus???

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Mark
    You smoking crack? It was 33.5lbs. I knew you needed specs.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    I love the two tone action. Also glad to see the 66SL is starting to pick up steam with the Nomad riders.

Please be careful though, you forgot to put on the chain! Ride report ASAP!
    I agree with the 66 comment!
    Found a 150 mm Marzocchi 66RC for $400.
    At $800+ that friggen Fox 36 is too damn expensive for what you get!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    BanzaiRider - hey - looking for an update on the ride and rear shock - also is that gloss black or black crome rear end? Bike looks great.. let us know how the paint holds up too!

jdkobe

Hold em high!
    Dec 2005
    I'd like to know how the AM1 fork is performing?

Mean Gene
    What's that smell???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdkobe
    BanzaiRider - hey - looking for an update on the ride and rear shock - also is that gloss black or black crome rear end? Bike looks great.. let us know how the paint holds up too!

jdkobe
    Well, to be honest, I was wondering myself the other day. I think it's probably gloss black. When I ordered it I said I want a red front black rear! The paint holds fine but the clear coat is quite sensitive to scrubing. I've added lots of clear tape in strategic spots so that the cables don't damage the finish too much and also below the down tube for rock protection.

The ride is really nice. It is so well balanced. My previous bike had an even slacker head angle then the Nomad so I was a bit afraid I'd find it steep. Well not at all, it feels great going down and unlike my previous bike, the front wheel stays on the ground even on steep uphill and with almost no body english. The geometry on this bike is really dialed, amazing. I think some people are afraid of it because it is not common geometry numbers, long chainstays, a bit slack seat angle for pedaling,... however, it turns out to be the best balanced geometry I've ever tried.

Ho and mean gene, the AM1 is equal to itself, good old Marzocchi coil plushness. I've looked at new forks to change it this year (it's an 05 model) but could not find anything that combined low weight (5# max) with coil plushness, 150mm and regular QR. The Pike is interesting but 20mm hub. The Van36 is interesting but again 20mm hub and 5.6#. So I kept the fugly desert piss colored AM1 and had it repainted! haha

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast