mtbr member
    Aug 2008

My new Highball AL Single Speed...

Finally finished this thing, its my first SS rig. Took her on her maiden voyage today. It was absolutely sublime..My new Highball AL Single Speed...-img_1027_resized.jpgMy new Highball AL Single Speed...-img_1028_resized.jpgMy new Highball AL Single Speed...-img_1029_resized.jpgMy new Highball AL Single Speed...-img_1030_resized.jpgMy new Highball AL Single Speed...-img_1031_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice ride

Warrior's Society
    I like it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What's that crankset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Its a Shimano Zee, its really a DH Crankset, I am VERY hard on my bikes and wasnt going for a sub 20lb bike, its 24lbs 10oz with this Crank. It is perfect for a SS setup and im 6'3 230lbs. Tightend build So I wanted beef where it counted. Not to mention I really like Hollowtech II sets, they take the torque I put on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How do the rear dropouts work? I can't really tell from the pictures here or on the SC site...they swing to adjust chain tension? 2 bolts and a third to adjust the chain tension?

mtbr member
    Sweet ride! I have the same colors.

I have questions about making the Highball AL an SS also. I went to SC store and I think these are the right dropouts to order:

Santa Cruz Bicycles

Can someone confirm?

Also - I'm mechanically challenged so I'm going to ask what is probably an simpleton question: Can I take of the chainrings (triple chainrings) and replace with a SS chainring without removing the crank? I know I'll need smaller chainring bolts but do I need some sort of spacers (to take up the space where the other chainrings were)?

Is a conversion something a mechanically challenged should even attempt or am I better off having the LBS do it?

Where did you get your chainring - I've been looking for a green one.

Thanks in advance!
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yep, that's the right part. The crankset conversion is no big deal, though to remove the granny gear, you'll need to remove the crankset, and if it's a Hollowtech crankset, you need the Park tool. You could also just leave the granny gear on, since it weighs next to nothing. I used a Blackspire bashguard and a Blackspire chainring with the chainring bolts I already had. I don't really need the bashguard, but I kind of like the way it looks. Be sure to apply loc-tite to the bolts or else you might end up losing them on a ride like I did.

The dropouts, however, are a different ball of wax. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, and as they ship without instructions, I was completely baffled by them. Fortunately, someone here posted instructions:

Santa Cruz Highball SS Build

The dropouts swing out on the topmost bolt. You tension the chain by backing a small allen screw out, which mashes against the larger hollow allen bolts. Once you have tension, you tighten down the bottom bolts in their sliding devices. It's pretty ingenious and is a lot more positive than a slotted dropout, but it would have been nice if they had included instructions. They didn't even put them on their website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
    Yep, that's the right part. The crankset conversion is no big deal, though to remove the granny gear, you'll need to remove the crankset, and if it's a Hollowtech crankset, you need the Park tool. You could also just leave the granny gear on, since it weighs next to nothing. I used a Blackspire bashguard and a Blackspire chainring with the chainring bolts I already had. I don't really need the bashguard, but I kind of like the way it looks. Be sure to apply loc-tite to the bolts or else you might end up losing them on a ride like I did.

The dropouts, however, are a different ball of wax. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, and as they ship without instructions, I was completely baffled by them. Fortunately, someone here posted instructions:

Santa Cruz Highball SS Build

The dropouts swing out on the topmost bolt. You tension the chain by backing a small allen screw out, which mashes against the larger hollow allen bolts. Once you have tension, you tighten down the bottom bolts in their sliding devices. It's pretty ingenious and is a lot more positive than a slotted dropout, but it would have been nice if they had included instructions. They didn't even put them on their website.
    Thanks Golden Monkey! That was very helpful!

If I understand correctly, if I go with a bashguard then I would not need new chainring bolts, right?
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    Thanks Golden Monkey! That was very helpful!

If I understand correctly, if I go with a bashguard then I would not need new chainring bolts, right?
    Correct.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    Sweet ride! I have the same colors.

I have questions about making the Highball AL an SS also. I went to SC store and I think these are the right dropouts to order:

Santa Cruz Bicycles

Can someone confirm?

Also - I'm mechanically challenged so I'm going to ask what is probably an simpleton question: Can I take of the chainrings (triple chainrings) and replace with a SS chainring without removing the crank? I know I'll need smaller chainring bolts but do I need some sort of spacers (to take up the space where the other chainrings were)?

Is a conversion something a mechanically challenged should even attempt or am I better off having the LBS do it?

Where did you get your chainring - I've been looking for a green one.

Thanks in advance!

I believe that you can use the geared dropout as a SS.....it just won't have the same clean look as the SS dropout.

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I believe that you can use the geared dropout as a SS.....it just won't have the same clean look as the SS dropout.

There won't be any way to tension the chain with the regular dropouts though. That's where the clever "swinger" design comes in.

Warrior's Society
    There won't be any way to tension the chain with the regular dropouts though. That's where the clever "swinger" design comes in.

Ahhh......thought they were like dropouts on my Salsa. I didn't even bother ordering the geared dropout with my frame....so I actually haven't seen them up close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I did find the only thing I don't like about the swinger dropouts though--they don't have nearly as much range of adjustment as a slotted dropout. With the last SS bike I had (Kona Kaboom) I could swap out the cog really easily without swapping out the chain. With this one, I had to buy a new chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My new Highball AL Single Speed...-highballs.jpg

Nice bike! Love this frame, one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

NedwannaB
    I did find the only thing I don't like about the swinger dropouts though--they don't have nearly as much range of adjustment as a slotted dropout. With the last SS bike I had (Kona Kaboom) I could swap out the cog really easily without swapping out the chain. With this one, I had to buy a new chain.
    Looking to get a '13 sale frame from CC and would like to get the SS dropouts at the same time. Are there different styles for a 135 or 142 frames?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Only 135 qr available. I wish they made 142 thru axle.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    Only 135 qr available. I wish they made 142 thru axle.
    Good to know. Only have 135 wheels.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....