Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My New Blur LT... 650B'ed!

Cross-post from the 650B forum, but wanted to put it in this forum as well for more traffic. I'm happy to answer any questions I can about the bike.

After searching for deals online and putting it together over the last month, I finally have it 99% done. I'm still waiting on a lock ring and new brake pads so I haven't ridden it yet... but I hope to this weekend. I will give a full ride report once I do.

A few comments:
    - The front tire clearance (pictured) seems to be plenty in the standard position- at least 3/8". When I deflate the fork and push it down, the crown does touch the tire when it's *completely* bottomed out. No rub otherwise.
    - The rear tire clearance is similar- about 3/8", and it only rubs when the shock is completely bottomed out.
    - The BB height seems a little high when I rode it around my street, but I think I'll get used to it once I get the rest of the bike dialed in.
    - I don't have a scale, but the bike weighs around 27 lbs, with pedals and with the Reverb seatpost dropper. It should be perfect for the combination of XC and trail riding I do here in Colorado.

On to the specs and pictures....

Frame: 2012 Santa Cruz Blur LT, size Large
    Fork: 2012 Fox 32 Float FIT 150mm RL, 15mm thru-axle
    Shock: Fox CTD
    Wheelset: Stan's ZTR Arch EX with XT/SLX hubs, tubeless
    Tires: WTB Wolverine 2.2", front and back (will eventually get Vee Trail Taker for the front)
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 3 w/160mm rotors
    Crankset: RaceFace Evolve
    Drivetrain: XO shifters, XT front der, X9 rear der
    Seatpost: RS Reverb '12
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Stem: FSA Gravity Gap
    Handlebar: RaceFace Respond
    Grips: ODI Rogue Lock-on

mtbr member
    Any way I can trouble you for a measure of your BB, so I can get some numbers in mind? TIA.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's right around 14-1/4".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's right around 14-1/4".
    Thanks!
    Bad thing for me...I'm running Conti TK 2.4 (26") w/ a Fox 36 Float RC2 at 160mm on my BLTc, and I'm right around 14"
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

b a n n e d
    For the 650Blur, you might try an offset shock bushing coupled with lowering the fork to 140.

14" is just way too high for me . . . most threads that I've read on BLT conversions end up dumping it after a while secondary to poor handling. I think if you could get the BB down, it would help immensely.

Or you can just wait until Sea Otter
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If for some reason it doesn't work for me, I'm not opposed to selling the wheelset and riding it as a 26" bike.

However, given that I ride in Colorado where most trails have some pretty big rocks and boulders, I'm thinking that the higher BB clearance will actually help me out.
    Last edited by smmokan; 01-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Matty-B
    This is the first I've seen for a 650 blur lt. Lots of people are doing the 650b conversion on their blur TRc. I bet it rides well

mtbr member
    If for some reason it doesn't work for me, I'm not opposed to selling the wheelset and riding it as a 26" bike.

However, given that I ride in Colorado where most trails have some pretty big rocks and boulders, I'm thinking that the higher BB clearance will actually help me out.
    I actually agree w/ you on the CO/FR assessment. BUT, if I stuck a set of 650b on my Blur w/ the 36, I'd be looking at 14.5 or 14.75 BB, and that's excessively tall. 14 is still cool, but any more than that...

OP, have you given any thought to the offset shock hardware? I had emailed someone in the Czech Rep about getting a set...$50 to get -1 degree HTA and -1/2" on the BB. But if you do this, you'll def need to shim out the rear shock to 2.25" stroke, cause you're already into the stroke by 4mm. Almost be worth opening up your rear shock and just shorten the i2i by 1/4"...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2005
    LTc was my first go at 650b...the too high bb and it's effect is why I looked at the TRc.

I'd hope that SC look at the LT as their 650b bike and do what Intense have done with 26/27.5" convertable dropouts to correct the geo between wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quick review after my first ride today:

I rode the Blur LT about 15-16 miles on a couple of trails I know like the back of my hand which are a mix of smooth, fast hardpacked singletrack, rocky singletrack, and very technical rock gardens. The overall climbing was around 2500 vert. For comparison, I have ridden these trails dozens of times on my previously-owned NomadC and Trek HiFi Pro, so I'll comment on relation to these two bikes.

Climbing:

The BLT killed the Nomad, hands down. I think part of it is an improved rear shock for climbing (CTD vs the Monarch RT3), but I also noticed the BLT was rolling up and over several features in the mile-long rock garden much easier than the Nomad ever did. On the smooth sections of singletrack I switched it into "Climb" mode on the rear shock, but I don't think that's necessary on anything but fire and paved roads. The "Trail" function was more than adequate and there was minimal pedal feedback or bobbing. It was close to the HiFi Pro 29er in climbing performance- I'd give the edge to the HiFi on most of the trail, but I actually preferred the BLT in the tight, technical stuff going up. Color me impressed.

Downhill performance:

First off, I'm a decently fast rider going down, but by no means am I a downhill expert. I obviously prefer my old NomadC on the technical downhills and tight, rocky sections, but I was impressed by the BLT. The front fork (Fox 32 150mm w/15mm t/a) was solid, and the extra 1.5" wheel diameter helped make up for some of the lack of travel in comparison to my old Lyrik 170mm. It wasn't nearly as big a dropoff from the NomadC as I was expecting. On the smooth, flowy sections coming down I thought both bikes were similarly fun. I wasn't able to push the bike in the corners due to mud and snow on the trails, but I'll report back next weekend when it's dried up a little more. I noticed the BLT was significantly quicker and more maneuverable (?) than my HiFi Pro. Not even close, really.

Other stuff:

I thought the WTB Wolverine tires held up really well, and they only got squirrely in the mud and soft snow. That doesn't concern me, however, since I rarely ride in anything soft here in Colorado. They gripped well on the hardpack, and gripped the large rocks and boulders really well. Once there are a few more wide tire choices (2.3-2.4"), I'll probably swap out the front tire for added grip and stability, but I like it in the back for sure. Seemed to be pretty fast rolling.

I know a lot of people have concerns about the higher BB on the Blur LT, but I think it's actually a plus for the type of riding I do. A get a LOT of pedal strikes here on the Front Range of Colorado (and when I go to Fruita/Moab), and today I noticed that I didn't hit nearly as many as usual. The cornering performance and "higher" center of gravity weren't noticeable, but part of that may be due to my lack of pushing the bike.

I didn't bottom out either front or rear, so there were no clearance issues whatsoever. Even with a muddy back tire, there was plenty of room for the 2.2" Wolverine to spin freely. I'm not concerned about clearance whatsoever.

Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the bike today; it did exactly what I built it to do. Better performance on the climbs and flats than my old NomadC, and much more fun coming downhill than my HiFi Pro. I think I've found the perfect trail bike for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    A get a LOT of pedal strikes here on the Front Range of Colorado (and when I go to Fruita/Moab), and today I noticed that I didn't hit nearly as many as usual.
    Smmokan,
    Where did you do your test ride?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hall Ranch (full lollipop loop from the rock garden side) and then I went over to ride the bottom few miles of Picture Rock, both in Lyons.

mtbr member
    Hall Ranch (full lollipop loop from the rock garden side) and then I went over to ride the bottom few miles of Picture Rock, both in Lyons.
    Haven't hit Hall yet...
    I'm literally a mile from Apex, so I use that trail as mu benchmark

Mostly melted? Much camo ice?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ It's worth the drive, go ride Hall. It's one of the most fun FR trails, IMO. It was 90% dry today with only a little snow and mud on the top 1/3 of the lollipop loop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just a quick update after getting a couple weeks worth of rides on the BLT (way too many rides in fact, since I should be skiing instead).

After getting things dialed in, I'm a huge fan of this bike for the style and terrain I ride. I wanted something that's a good compromise between the climbing ability of a 29er and the nimbleness of a 26" bike, and I found it. I do a lot of 1500-2000 ft climbs over rocky, mildly technical terrain, and I can tell the larger wheels help quite a bit. It's significantly more efficient on the way up than my old NomadC, that's for sure.

On the descents, it took a few rides but I'm digging the bike a lot now. The bigger wheels help roll over technical sections, but the bike is still very quick and nimble in tight spaces. The BB is a tad high, but not that detrimental to the handling on the trails I ride. In fact, I like the higher BB since it means fewer pedal strikes.

I ordered a 2.4" Trail Taker for the front, and I think that'll help even more on the descents in Colorado and Utah. Additionally, I have to say that the rear Fox CTD is much better than I was expecting. The "Trail" setting is perfect for flats and climbing, and the "Descend" is great to flick on for extended downhills.

One last thing- I haven't had any instances of either front or rear suspension bottoming out and rubbing on the tires, so it seems to be a non-issue.

mtbr member
    The BB is a tad high, but not that detrimental to the handling on the trails I ride. In fact, I like the higher BB since it means fewer pedal strikes.
    smmokan,
    Hey, I've been tinkering w/ a Monarch RC3+ and a thought for you... The way RS does their top-out is a rubber bumper ring on the main shock body (what you'd called the 'stanchion' part of the air shock) and the air can. I'm not sure if the Fox can have this...seems you'd need a hard aluminum lip in the air can to do this...but you might be able to fine tune the i2i length of the rear shock to tweak the BB height...

I'm going to revisit this conversion for my BLTc, once this Sequestration BS is done...possibly a set of those LB carbon hoops...since I'm running the Monarch, and can tweak my HTA/BB height.

Say, would you let me swing by to "fit" your 650b wheels to my BLTc, to see if there are any tolerances issues w/ my older frame...say some rainy wknd? Does your front hub allow for 20mm TA as well as 15? And, is your frame the 142 or 135 rear spacing?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sure thing... just shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Sure thing... just shoot me a PM.
    Thanks so much!
    I'll PM you closer to the wknd...looks like winter is taking revenge for this past wknd...SUCK!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Bump for a good thread...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    a lot of BLUR LT are up on SCB sale... this will breath life (not that it's dead) to the Blur LT. Too bad it is only offered in Canada and the US, if not i could get one and make an affordable 'BLURSON' hehe

I am about to 650 mine (waiting on parts) and IF the bike handles and rides as I hope it will, I see no need to jump on the bandwagon of buying the latest and greatest every few months just to keep up with the Jones's.. With or without 650 conversion, I still like my Blur as is. I am going the cheap route by buying just the rims and using the hubs from the stock wheels the bike came with. The DT Swiss hubs are fine enough for me, no need to go nuts....
    Last edited by OscarW; 07-04-2013 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Bump... I had to go back to 26" for a couple months, but I just put 650B wheels and tires back on. This bike is incredible with this wheel size. I'm killing it on the climbs (in Colorado) and the downhills are faster than ever.

I put Sun Ringle Inferno 27s on with a Ardent front, Wolverine in the rear. The bike weighs around 28 lbs right now and is perfect. I came within mm's of bottoming out the rear shock and no tire rubbing at all. I love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    I am about to 650 mine (waiting on parts) and IF the bike handles and rides as I hope it will, I see no need to jump on the bandwagon of buying the latest and greatest every few months just to keep up with the Jones's.. With or without 650 conversion, I still like my Blur as is. I am going the cheap route by buying just the rims and using the hubs from the stock wheels the bike came with. The DT Swiss hubs are fine enough for me, no need to go nuts....
    Oscar- see my post last night, but changing back to 650B wheels enabled me to do just what you described. I don't see the need to even think about a Bronson or Solo with my BLT setup now, as I don't think the price difference would come close to the increase (or decrease) in performance.

Oscar- see my post last night, but changing back to 650B wheels enabled me to do just what you described. I don't see the need to even think about a Bronson or Solo with my BLT setup now, as I don't think the price difference would come close to the increase (or decrease) in performance.
    Yup read your post and today I went to the bike shop to set up the wheel build and ordered new bearings for the front hub. Can't wait to get it done!! Will post up here with my results and impressions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Johnny North

My New Blur LT... 650B'ed!-img_0098.jpg2012 Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.2 with Stan's ZTR Flow rims. Kenda Nevegal 2.3 front/2.1 rear; Fox Talas 36; XT build; KS LEV seatpost; bb height 14 1/4; HT angle 66.5 degrees...What do you think!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast