Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    SWEEETTTT!! I am waiting for my wheels to be built by my LBS...Should be done tomorrow or Saturday...Can't wait.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm still looking for my first MB and this has caught my attention. Thinking of buying the frame from SC and building one. I've never built one before but like to tinker and figured it would be a good way to learn about the parts of a MB. Can anyone give me an idea on what it would cost to build one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny North View Post
    Attachment 8151942012 Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.2 with Stan's ZTR Flow rims. Kenda Nevegal 2.3 front/2.1 rear; Fox Talas 36; XT build; KS LEV seatpost; bb height 14 1/4; HT angle 66.5 degrees...What do you think!?
    Planning to build a BLUR-SON as well I will be using a 160 mm Float 36? how does it ride? do I have to lower it to 140 or 150 with the 650B? which would handle better?
    I also have a 150 Float 32 RLC 15mm TA... which is which? thanks guy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Blur-Son

Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    Planning to build a BLUR-SON as well I will be using a 160 mm Float 36? how does it ride? do I have to lower it to 140 or 150 with the 650B? which would handle better?
    I also have a 150 Float 32 RLC 15mm TA... which is which? thanks guy...
    My 36 is a Talas. It helps to lower the front on steep, steep climbs. I wouldn't use the Float 36, yet it would be nice to have the thicker fork legs and a 20 mm front axle. I would use the Float 150 since you do not have the Talas option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks, excited already, been gathering parts originally for a 650B conversion on a SUPERLIGHT initially. But while reading this I guess this is a more sensible conversion giving my riding here, I'll most probably use the Float 150 RLC to keep the build a little in the light side. I have the NOMAD MK2 for the chunky stuff anyway. Was going to convert the my Superlight to 650B but i might just keep it at 26'er. I might get a good deal on a 2010 (non-tapered) Blur LT medium from someone I know who wants a bronson and his letting it go dirt cheap... BLURSON on the way... will post pictures once I get started... thanks guys!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OCOutdoors View Post
    Can anyone give me an idea on what it would cost to build one?
    Including the $900 frame I got from the SC sale, I spent right around $2,000 on my build. That included a mix of new and used parts for an XT/X9 3x9 drivetrain, Fox 32 150mm Float fork, Stans Arch EX wheels, Avid Elixir brakes, and mostly Race Face other bits. I had my seat post dropper already, so if you want one of those add another $200'ish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Including the $900 frame I got from the SC sale, I spent right around $2,000 on my build. That included a mix of new and used parts for an XT/X9 3x9 drivetrain, Fox 32 150mm Float fork, Stans Arch EX wheels, Avid Elixir brakes, and mostly Race Face other bits. I had my seat post dropper already, so if you want one of those add another $200'ish.
    That's pretty good compared to the price of a Bronson which has caught my attention as a kit bike. I want to try and build one but still have a lot to learn about shocks/forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a lot to learn too, but I'm perfectly happy with the setup I have: the Fox 32 150mm Float RL (15mm T/A) on the front and the Float CTD on the rear. Eventually I'll probably upgrade to a 34 front fork, but for the price and the weight, it's a great fork for out here in CO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can anyone give me some input on a frame size? I'm 6'1"ish and around 31.5inseam.

mtbr member
    5' 11 - 7/8" w/ 33" inseam...a lrg feels tight w/ a 70mm stem. I need to get my 90mm back on this bike. If I were you, XL to start, and then, maybe a XXL...unsure if they make that tho.

Edit: FYI, I'm also on a Tallboy LTc...e-top tube is close to 3/4 of inch longer for the same size. Using the same 70mm stem, it feels great!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Went to my LBS and got to try a few MB's and got to ask questions. They had an xl BronsonC that felt/looked awesome. My question is how close would a BLT w/650B wheels feel to a Bronson? Are you using a front fork that is spec'd for a 27.5", could I use a 27.5" fork with a 26" wheel? If i understand correctly I can use a 27.5" spec'd fork on a BLT and I wont have any issues with tire clearances? any tire clearance issues for the rear? A Bronson would be cool but pricey.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I had my first ride today and I am amazed how well the Blur handles the bigger wheels. I even knocked a few minutes of my lap time, simply because roots and the rock garden were no problem at all. The extra clearance with the BB resulted in no pedal strikes at all either, even though they happen very rarely. The higher CG took about 10 minutes to get used to also. Did a parking lot ride first though.. All in all I am very happy with the conversion. I will get a 650 specific fork in the future as my Fox has almost 6K miles on it and is getting tired. I have WTB Wolverine 2.2 tires on Stans Flow EX hoops with DT Swiss 350 hubs.
    No pics yet as I was too excited to try it out and there was bad weather on the way... 6" of rain on the trails right now..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OCOutdoors View Post
    Went to my LBS and got to try a few MB's and got to ask questions. They had an xl BronsonC that felt/looked awesome. My question is how close would a BLT w/650B wheels feel to a Bronson? Are you using a front fork that is spec'd for a 27.5", could I use a 27.5" fork with a 26" wheel? If i understand correctly I can use a 27.5" spec'd fork on a BLT and I wont have any issues with tire clearances? any tire clearance issues for the rear? A Bronson would be cool but pricey.
    Sorry, can't help you there...don't have a Bronson. Entirely TOO expensive for my budget. Don't even know if I can pick one up if I sold my BLTc AND my TB LTc!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OC- I do believe you can use a 650B fork on a Blur LT "conversion" with no issues, although it might be a little "longer" than a standard 26" fork. I've run some really big tires up front on my Fox 32 150mm fork (Trail Taker 2.4" specifically) and I haven't ever had an issue with bottoming out or rubbing. I've only had a WTB Wolverine 2.2"- which is a fairly tall tire- on the rear and it's not an issue either.

I can't specifically speak to the Blur LT vs Bronson comparison, but I have to imagine they're pretty similar. I'm guessing the Bronson is better on the downhills, but the Blur LT climbs better. I'm not really interested in finding out now anyways- for about $2-3k less I built up a sweet Blur LT 650B conversion that weighs a couple pounds less and is super fun. I'm thinking of picking up another Blur LT frame from the SC sale just to have down the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks ssmokan- I'm gonna get a parts list together to see what it will cost and go from there. I need to decode some of this MB lingo to figure out what parts are, lol. I also tried a 2013 26" Kona Process that really felt good but the parts weren't as good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This may help... here's a list of my parts build and the costs associated with by Blur LT back in January. There are a couple of zeros where I already had the part, and a couple prices ended up being lower than I estimated in this spreadsheet. My total cost was right around $2,100.

Price
    Frame Santa Cruz Blur LT- Seabright Blue 900
    Wheelset Stans Arch EX w/XT 365
    Tubeless setup Stans sealant, valve stems 27
    Front Fork Fox Float FIT 150mm RL 325
    Brakes Avid Elixir 3's (white) 60
    Brake rotors Shimano XT Centerlock 38
    Headset Cane Creek 40 70
    Stem FSA Gravity 30
    Handlebar Race Face Respond White 30
    Grips ODI Rogue 0
    Tires WTB Wolverine 2.2" 80
    Crankset Race Face Evolve Triple 110
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT 20
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X9 35
    Derailleur Cables Jagwire Ripcord White 25
    Shifters SRAM X0 55
    Cassette SRAM PG-970 29
    Saddle WTB Pure 35
    Seatpost Rockshox Reverb 0
    Pedals Shimano XT 0
    Chain SRAM 9-spd 20
    TOTAL 2254

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the breakdown. Did you buy all this from one place or just search the net?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    All over the net. Between eBay, Pinkbike, and the various online retailers, their are a ton of deals out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Blur 650b

All over the net. Between eBay, Pinkbike, and the various online retailers, their are a ton of deals out there.
    OscarWilde, wears the new (SC Blur LT 650b) bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Blur lt 2.2

I have recently build my blur lt 2.2 ... here it is... so... with this fork (140 CTD) i just need to get bigger wheels???

no clearance issues in front and rear???

having a pair of new 27.5 good wheels in stock sounds nice!!

My New Blur LT... 650B'ed!-la-foto.jpgMy New Blur LT... 650B'ed!-la-foto-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

My New Blur LT... 650B'ed!

That's a beautiful Blur LT!

As for the conversion... Yep, just get new wheels and tires and you're ready to go. I haven't had clearance issues yet, and I run some pretty tall tires.

mtbr member
    Is that a pair of 26 inch forks?
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful Blur LT!

As for the conversion... Yep, just get new wheels and tires and you're ready to go. I haven't had clearance issues yet, and I run some pretty tall tires.
    smmokan: saw your bike for sale on CL here locally... what gives?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Heh... sold it yesterday. It didn't really have anything to do with not liking the bike, I really just wanted a new project over the winter since we won't be riding anytime soon. I bought a new/used Bronson to replace the Blur LT. It was kind of bitter-sweet selling it, I was sad to see it go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How does the Bronson compare to the 650'd BLT?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast