mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My Highball and Tallboy....

Finally had a chance to take some pictures of both my MTB's and thought I would share. I also just installed the XX1 on the Highball last night but still not a 100% sure on what bike it will best fit my needs. I guess time will tell on what bike it ends up on .

My Highball and Tallboy....-both-bikes.jpg

My Highball and Tallboy....-highball.jpg

My Highball and Tallboy....-tallboy.jpg
    Last edited by bassn; 01-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Great looking bikes, looks like we have the same taste in color schemes and tires too

Got the weight already?
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Nice rides.
    2013 SC Tallboy LTC
    2013 SC TRC
    2012 Jackal
    2014 Heckler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Finally had a chance to take some pictures of both my MTB's and thought I would share. I also just installed the XX1 on the Highball last night but still not a 100% sure on what bike it will best fit my needs. I guess time will tell on what bike it ends up on .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Both bikes.jpg 
Views:	1174 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	751029

Name:	Highball.jpg 
Views:	1120 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	751030

Name:	Tallboy.jpg 
Views:	1119 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	751031
    Nice!

Interested in hearing more about the XX1 setup and performance.

Get to dah choppah
    Beauty
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

memorable member

here's my babies

Love these bikes! I sure wish SC would put out a carbon road frame. I'd snap one up in a second.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Highball and Tallboy....-20121231_170147.jpg  

My Highball and Tallboy....-20121231_170040.jpg  

My Highball and Tallboy....-20121231_170104.jpg  

My Highball and Tallboy....-highball1.jpg  

My Highball and Tallboy....-highball-bars.jpg  

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice rides! It looks like you have the 120 on the TB, how do you like it? Did you ever run it with a 100? I'm on the fence about purchasing one for my TB and replacing the 100, or just getting the 100 Pushed. For 85% of my riding a 100 would be sufficient, but for the other 15%, the 120 would definitely help.

mtbr member
    I used to run a Talas (95-120mm) on mine. After 1 month I just left it at 120mm, which I liked better even on climbs. The BB is slightly higher which helps. The DH is obviously better = slacker angle. 110 is suppose to be the best compromise, but I can't say anything bad about 120.
    100 might be better if you preffer faster turning bike on flats.
    I have also replaced the Talas internals and installed regular Float. It is much easier to service.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist View Post
    Love these bikes! I sure wish SC would put out a carbon road frame. I'd snap one up in a second.
    How do you like the Answer swept bars?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I used to run a Talas (95-120mm) on mine. After 1 month I just left it at 120mm, which I liked better even on climbs. The BB is slightly higher which helps. The DH is obviously better = slacker angle. 110 is suppose to be the best compromise, but I can't say anything bad about 120.
    100 might be better if you preffer faster turning bike on flats.
    I have also replaced the Talas internals and installed regular Float. It is much easier to service.
    Good info. I'm trying to find a black 120 float and definitely leaning towards the 12' RLC FIT vs the new CTD. Initially I was thinking that the 95mm would be helpful if I do decide to race it every now and then.

How difficult/cost was it replace the internals to convert it to a float?

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    How do you like the Answer swept bars?
    I'm a fan. They'll be on the TB in short order. Very comfy natural hand position. i feel like i'm reaching now when i ride the TB.

They're pretty rad looking so i was skeptical at first but the guys that recommended them to me are expert level dudes so i took thier advice.

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Nice rides! It looks like you have the 120 on the TB, how do you like it? Did you ever run it with a 100? I'm on the fence about purchasing one for my TB and replacing the 100, or just getting the 100 Pushed. For 85% of my riding a 100 would be sufficient, but for the other 15%, the 120 would definitely help.
    The TB came with the 120 so I assumed that was the recommended setup from SC. I like the setup. it eats everything in its path. Besides, if I want to bust out some mach2 i jump on the highball!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like 16 mash. Keeps the elbows in, with a nice short stem. My current Syntace Duraflite is 12, which is pretty nice also.

We're on the same ride.

mtbr member
    To be honest, I don't remember the exact cost.
    And to be even more honest, I did not do it myself. The fork was due for service and figured it was the best time to swap the internals. I got it custum tuned to my style of riding, bike and my weight.
    I used this company: Home Page
    Drake does great job and has years of experience in tuning shocks. I live close enough, so I drove there, dropped the fork, waited 3 hours and rode it the same day

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    I like 16 mash. Keeps the elbows in, with a nice short stem. My current Syntace Duraflite is 12, which is pretty nice also.

We're on the same ride.
    BadHabit! My old friend. Hope you've been well.

I'm surprised how my hands just naturally fall into the 20degree position. Its super comfy and doesn't agravate my busted elbow. I have noticeable elbow flame going after riding the TB from tendonitits. The answer bars don't have the same effect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    BadHabit! My old friend. Hope you've been well.

I'm surprised how my hands just naturally fall into the 20degree position. Its super comfy and doesn't agravate my busted elbow. I have noticeable elbow flame going after riding the TB from tendonitits. The answer bars don't have the same effect.
    If there's a downside to swept bars, I can't think of what it is.

Makes me happy to see SCs in the house, because I know you're having fun too. They make you stronger because you just want to keep riding.

Doing ok here, and the very best to you!

BH

memorable member
    If there's a downside to swept bars, I can't think of what it is.

Makes me happy to see SCs in the house, because I know you're having fun too. They make you stronger because you just want to keep riding.

Doing ok here, and the very best to you!

BH
    what SC do you have? I got the TB in March and loved it so much i grabbed the HB at the garage sale. I'm beyond inpressed with both bikes. The geo is a like a custom fit for me compared to spesh's i've ridden for so many years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what SC do you have? I got the TB in March and loved it so much i grabbed the HB at the garage sale. I'm beyond inpressed with both bikes. The geo is a like a custom fit for me compared to spesh's i've ridden for so many years.

I have a medium TBc (black) since early 2011. Never posted a pic. I lucked into it. Over the winter I'd done a BMC Fourstroke 26" that wasn't comfortable. It had a very cool ceramic Sram BB that I wanted to move over, so I bought the TB frame just for the 73mm shell and the look without knowing what a far out ride it was. The next month it was bike of the year.

Impressed, you got that right. I can't get enough of it. And that's in flatland.

I know you're doing ok when I see two fancy SCs and you want another one. Pleases me no end.

memorable member
    I have a medium TBc (black) since early 2011. Never posted a pic. I lucked into it. Over the winter I'd done a BMC Fourstroke 26" that wasn't comfortable. It had a very cool ceramic Sram BB that I wanted to move over, so I bought the TB frame just for the 73mm shell and the look without knowing what a far out ride it was. The next month it was bike of the year.

Impressed, you got that right. I can't get enough of it. And that's in flatland.

I know you're doing ok when I see two fancy SCs and you want another one. Pleases me no end.
    i just sorta ended up with my TB as well. A trusted lbs guy gently pushed me in that direction. It also happened to be a demo bike with just over a dozen or so rides on it and the discounted price made the decision for me.

After the first ride i felt like i won the lottery or somethin. They put out a road frame I'm on it. I just wish they'd hurry. my old tarmac is beggin for mercy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i just sorta ended up with my TB as well. A trusted lbs guy gently pushed me in that direction. It also happened to be a demo bike with just over a dozen or so rides on it and the discounted price made the decision for me.

After the first ride i felt like i won the lottery or somethin. They put out a road frame I'm on it. I just wish they'd hurry. my old tarmac is beggin for mercy.
    I have to set up so I'm more upright, so no drop bars SC for me. Whereas I'm jealous of the Highball. Nobody rides FS with the local club. I hope you get your wish! Hello to everyone if you get to the old forum. Keep out of that cemetery.

mtbr member
    I just joined the HB/TB party. Both larges. Havn't run the TB yet, still building it up. So happy with the HB though. Great stuff.
    Pictures soon.
    Scott
    Last edited by fire_strom; 01-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm looking to get a carbon highball frame as a race bike but noticed that an alloy tallboy is the virtualy the same price, i'm planning on doing longer 50-80km races and the local club multi lap races. I have a blur trc and find it hard to race as it's set up for trail riding, short stem, drop post, aggressive tyres etc so looking for a the best tool for the job. whats the weight for a alloy tallboy frame?.