mtbr member
    Aug 2006

My Heckler Feels Loose At The Rear - Why?

My Heckler used to be soild at the rear, but recently it has begun to feel loose!

It feels as if there is a huge buckle in the rear wheel and the bike doesnt feel planted or stable, the back wheel does have a buckle but its nothing major, or is this the issue?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    To state the obvious, check the tightness of the pivot bolts, bearing wear, and if applicable the replaceable dropout. Also see if there's any play in the rear wheel bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the reply, the pivot is good and the pivot bearing are new, winter rebuild, I believe my drop is ok, but that is an item I will check tonight.

Rear wheel bearings could be the answer I will check tonight if they are shot I'm guess that a new hub is the way to go?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sounds like the hub to me. I had the same thing awhile back, and just needed to tighten up the hub. Grab your rear wheel and rock it sideways. If it moves, tighten up the hub.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's something interesting. My Ringle 10mm thru hub broke about 1 month ago and while waiting for the replacement borrowed a quick release rear wheel. I can't even begin to tell you how those 2 felt different. I was actually worried about the feeling I was getting from the QR wheel. Felt loose, realllly flexy, really changed my riding. Put the 10mm bolt on back on and the bike feels completely different and solid! I would suggest that if you ever have a chance to compare the 2 on the same bike give it a go! I really never thought it could be so different! cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cheers guy

How much movement am I looking for? It seems ok, but logically think it is really the only thing that it can be!

My current hub is an XT

But if/when I renew I will go for a Hope Pro 2 to match my front hub, how do I go about increasing the rear skewer/bolt size from 9mm to 10 or 12?

Is it possible to get a 10 or 12mm quick release or is it a fixed through axle bolt type?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Bang
    Cheers guy

How much movement am I looking for? It seems ok, but logically think it is really the only thing that it can be!

My current hub is an XT

But if/when I renew I will go for a Hope Pro 2 to match my front hub, how do I go about increasing the rear skewer/bolt size from 9mm to 10 or 12?

Is it possible to get a 10 or 12mm quick release or is it a fixed through axle bolt type?

Cheers
    all rear QR's are 10mm......the drop out's are 10mm, so 12mm wont fit...the debate is still out for me on 10mm QR vs. 10mm Bolt On.....i converted my shimano hub to a Bolt on axle, and couldn't feel much of a difference...granted, i only got one ride in before i destroyed my right wrist in a crash....anyway, if you're running an xt hub it's a cup/cone configuration....you need to take the wheel out, remove the rubber dust boot on the non drive side, remove two of the bolt holding your disc rotor on...then, you need a 15mm cone wrench, and a 17mm wrench (box or open end, doesn't matter).....using the two wrenches, you need to loosen the lock nut, tighten the cone, and then re tighten the lock nut, while holding the cone still......... ideally the amount of preload you put on the ball bearings should be just enough to eliminate play in the wheel, without being so tight that you cause drag.....you just have to play around with it when you first do it....it takes a fine touch....

this is the quick and dirty way.....you technically need to make sure the drive side cone/lock nut are tight too, b/c they could be the ones coming loose....check out the park tools website, as there are guides on there on how to do this......

just to be clear, rear QR axles/drop outs are always 10mm....front axles/dropouts are 9mm..WITH THE EXCEPTION OF shimano Deore and higher, in which case the THREADED SECTION is 10mm, and the ENDS of the axle that slide in the drop out are 9mm.....so TECHNICALLY the 9mm solid bolt on axle i put in my deore front hub is smaller than the one that was in it....but like i said, the verdict is still out on which is better.....

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Back in 04 I bought a Bullit that came w/Mavic EX729 rims and DT Swiss rear/qr ft/20mm hubs. For the life of me I couldn't keep the rear qr tight. I would be riding down the trail and it would start to feel wallowy in the rear and I found out the qr was coming loose. I was scared to hit jumps or drops and paranoid to do anything fast. Not sure why SC spec'd out a qr rear hub "on a Bullit"...??? Crazy IMO. The DT Swiss hub was great, but they didn't offer a bolt on axle for it, so I went to a bolt on hub and it was night and day difference. I don't run a qr in the rear anymore, it just eases my mind and makes for better ride all the way around.
    FWIW, I would still be running that DT Swiss hub had they offered a bolt on axle option.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    check the rear shock bearing where it bolts on. hold top tube and lift slightly while feeling where the rear shock is bolted, if you feel a some play then that may be your problem it was mine. (easy fix $20.) I just had the same problem and it has a tight rear again :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Bang
    Thanks for the reply, the pivot is good and the pivot bearing are new, winter rebuild, I believe my drop is ok, but that is an item I will check tonight.

Rear wheel bearings could be the answer I will check tonight if they are shot I'm guess that a new hub is the way to go?

Thanks
    . . ."winter" was 6 months ago. . . I thought my main-pivot was torqued down enough until I recently took things apart experiencing the same problems as you - just a few turns of the wrench. At least if you can guarantee the rear-triangle is loose, you can move on to the hub and other possibilities. Of course, you could pull the rear-wheel off also but the pivots probably need some love right 'bout now.

Cracker
    see if the swingarm is cracked