The endless excuses guy
    May 2004

My Experience from BLT to Nomad

These are some thoughts (not too well thought out) of my experience after riding a BLT for 7 months and then changing over to a Nomad. I warrantied a BLT frame with SC (there was an upcharge) and swapped over everything thing I could from the LT to the Nomad (details to follow). It was my first bike strip-down-to-nothing and ground-up assembly for me, so I'm feeling a little proud about that. So far, itt has run flawlessly, haven't had to tweak anything yet (I know, I just screwed myself). It's so much fun to ride, but as I was cautioned by a good person at SC, it did in fact bite me when I wasn't paying attention (in other words, I got too cocky). 3 days later I can almost walk normally. After 30 miles, I can say that it seems to climb rocky loose terrain better than the BLT, the front wheel seems to stay planted in the right direction longer/easier. The VPP lets you know it's there when you get into the peddles, it's a pretty cool sensation feeling the whole rig stiffens up under you when your common sense says it should be squishing. I won't go into its ability to decend; that attribute is well discussed. The transition to Nomad may have gained 3-4 pounds total from the BLT (130 mm TALAS > Fox Van 36, RP3 > DHX5.0, Crossmax SL's > XL's), but it had more than made up for in its fun-factor and plushness. Still slices and dices pretty good after you start to get a feel for its mojo. What have I lost? Some of the XC kickassness and get-up-and-go the the LT as welll as some of its flickable-ness and game-iness. But for my style riding (40 y/o trapped in a 20 y/o's body), the happy/fun factor has more than made up for it. Glad to answer anyone's questions.............
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004

Here are some pix of the build

Hope the pix come through, had a tough time uploading
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rooster; 03-16-2006 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Long hair HEMI fan says "SWEET!!!"
    work, play, work, play, play, play, play...

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Glad you are happy with the Nomad...nice ride! I love my LT and am thinking about getting some Crossmax SL's and wondering your thoughts....any pic's? I do more hardcore trailriding than freeride/hucking so I think they would be strong enough and I love the weight (also can get a ripping deal).

TNC
    noMAD man

SL or XL?

Quote Originally Posted by SKULLY
    Glad you are happy with the Nomad...nice ride! I love my LT and am thinking about getting some Crossmax SL's and wondering your thoughts....any pic's? I do more hardcore trailriding than freeride/hucking so I think they would be strong enough and I love the weight (also can get a ripping deal).
    The SLs are good wheels, but they really are an XC wheel. The XLs are still incredibly light but strong enough for serious, rocky, ledgy riding with some reasonable jumps and drops thrown in. Even the XLs are not hucking wheels, though they'll take quite a bit of abuse.

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SKULLY
    The SL's were an outstanding wheel set. If you haven't gone tubeless, you're in for a treat. I'm 200# dressed out and doing 4 footers was never a problem with them. I had to go with the XL's because of the through axle on the Fox 36.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Nice comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    [FONT=Arial]These are some thoughts (not too well thought out) of my experience after riding a BLT for 7 months and then changing over to a Nomad.
    Thanks for posting this. I am a new Nomad rider, days away from first dirt. I went with the Nomad after having an insanely great time on a BLT this past summer up in Tahoe. What got me hooked on the Nomad was the idea of having just that little bit more... More stability, more travel etc. I love the BLT, but for this bike I wanted something able to go a bit bigger and bolder. Glad to read that you are happy with yours. I know I can't wait to take mine out and start putting it to work.

My pics, build and ride reports will be flowing forth soon enough.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I went the other direction. I was riding a Nomad and I just moved all the parts to a BLT. The nomad is an amazing bike, its just too much bike for the riding I do. The BLT is a snappier, quicker, jump out of the saddle bike, and Im less drained after an all day ride. It was really hard to let go of the Nomad, its just too much fun and its sweet looking. But the LT out performed the Nomad in 80% of the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Benja55

How do you like the 66sl on your Nomad? What size is your Nomad and is the 66sl an 06 model, the smaller version. How does it handle and feel. I am trying to decide between this fork the fox 36 van or the 36 talas. Does anyone know if Fox has released the New 36 talas yet?
    Thanks,
    M.C.tigre

Too Much Fun

Don't know yet...

Quote Originally Posted by MCtigre
    How do you like the 66sl on your Nomad? What size is your Nomad and is the 66sl an 06 model, the smaller version.
    I just got mine home today (pics tomorrow!) I have a Med and run the 66SL @ 150mm. We'll see how she rides in the next few days. But all you weight haters will love this: 29.96lbs. on the digital shop scale @ Passion Trail Bikes! Word UP. It took at lot of bling to get there.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    I just got mine home today (pics tomorrow!) I have a Med and run the 66SL @ 150mm. We'll see how she rides in the next few days. But all you weight haters will love this: 29.96lbs. on the digital shop scale @ Passion Trail Bikes! Word UP. It took at lot of bling to get there.

B-jammer, Im looking forward to seeing a pic, full build spec and of course reviews!
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    How the heck did you get to that weight with a 5+ lbs 66SL in front? Did you put 1.9 race tires? I really can't wait to see your build details, are you sure the shop scale is calibrated correctly?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

29.96 Nomad

I'm interested to see your Nomad benja. My nomad is almost build just waiting for the rims and spokes, should be done by wednesday. I wish I should have gotten the 66 SL for the travel adjustment andthe Bling looks (love the all black), but I know the Van 36 is a great fork so no regrets.

mtbr member

noob question

I'm new here and new to biking. I moved to Tahoe and ski my ass off big mt style and want to get into mt biking. I'm 43 but feel act like I'm 23, 6'2" and 190 lbs. I've narrowed it down to the Blur LT and Nomad. I read the Nomad vs Blut LT threads.

I'm leaning towards the LT because it will leave me with more energy at the top of the climb and I don't think I'll be dropping big as I start out in this sport. The Nomad may let me progress to bigger things but thinking it might be overkill for a novice and I'm concerned it's less efficient climber regarding burning my legs out. However, maybe my weight would lend more towards the Nomad than the LT regarding bearings?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TNC
    noMAD man

Nomad.

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseJim
    I'm new here and new to biking. I moved to Tahoe and ski my ass off big mt style and want to get into mt biking. I'm 43 but feel act like I'm 23, 6'2" and 190 lbs. I've narrowed it down to the Blur LT and Nomad. I read the Nomad vs Blut LT threads.

I'm leaning towards the LT because it will leave me with more energy at the top of the climb and I don't think I'll be dropping big as I start out in this sport. The Nomad may let me progress to bigger things but thinking it might be overkill for a novice and I'm concerned it's less efficient climber regarding burning my legs out. However, maybe my weight would lend more towards the Nomad than the LT regarding bearings?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm 55 years old, 6' tall, and also weigh 190. Go with the Nomad. It climbs easily...you'll be surprised. We sell SC, and I hate to admit that I'm not a fan of the BLT for anything but smoother trail riding. We've had some bearing and creaking issues right off the bat. I think SC just made the links and such a little too light on these models. The Nomad is super capable, but don't get fooled into thinking it's just some kind of FR huck machine. Unless you build it up into a heavy, big hit setup, it's an absolutely awesome trail bike. Mine weighs 33lbs., and I can ride it anywhere and do almost anything. You will not be sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images