Golden Bears United

New question here. My decision just got tougher -- Superlight29 RXC or Tallboy2 RXC aluminum?

I am in the market for a first FS and 29, and have tested a bunch. I really like the 29 (talking about riding stairs UP!) but have some standover clearance issues on some models (e.g. Spearfish, Pivot 429) with my own vertically-challenged geometry 5'6. I also like a longer toptube, stretched out position, so size S is generally not a go.

It came down to two: Superlight29 RXC (medium) and Old Tallboy (medium). I like the Tallboy, but found the standover 29.1in just a bit tight. The $900 higher pricetag and a pound weight increase for similarly-spec'ed kit doesn't help. So the Superlight it is.

Or so I thought .... until I checked the SC website this morning.

The Tallboy2's slightly revised geometry means the Medium's standover clearance is about an inch shorter, so would fit me fine. Weight has been reduced, so the weight penalty is only 0.3 lb. And the specially-priced RXC kit means the difference is only $500 rather than $900.

To boot, the Tallboy2 came in the pretty Green or not-so-bad Grey. I would have gone with Orange on the Superlight, but my current bike is already Orange.

142 thru-axle rear and molded chainstay protector are also nice bonuses.

Suddenly, my decision is not so easy anymore.

What should I do??? Help!
    Last edited by TeeKay; 06-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member

Re: My decision just got tougher -- Superlight29 RXC or Tallboy2 RXC aluminum?

Man I don't want to confuse you even more, but at your height look into a SC Solo.
    I have a tallboy and 650 TRc. I prefer the TRc which is basically same geometry as the Solo. You can build the solo very light and make it a perfect Xc/trail bike.
    I have never ridden a SL, so can't comment on that one.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Man I don't want to confuse you even more, but at your height look into a SC Solo.
    I have a tallboy and 650 TRc. I prefer the TRc which is basically same geometry as the Solo. You can build the solo very light and make it a perfect Xc/trail bike.
    I have never ridden a SL, so can't comment on that one.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Isn't the Solo in another stratosphere when it comes to cost?

mtbr member
    5'6 will be no problem on a SC 29er.

I've owned and ridden both TB and SL29. If you ride smooth flow singletrack and basic XC, then the SL29 all the way. Anything tecky with some ledges/gardens ETC and the single pivot shows its weakness.

I'd buy a leftover TB1 from an online vendor. I believe competitive has the Rxc AL for around 2500.00.

2013 Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy R XC Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 06-28-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added link
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The TB2 is future proof, you definitely won't feel the need to buy a new bike anytime soon. Common logic is buy the most bike you can possibly afford. I'd get the TB2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    TB2 without a second thought. When you discover the drawbacks of the single pivot design, you'll be kicking yourself otherwise. The TB2 will ride like a hard tail on the flats.

Golden Bears United
    ATX - Tallboy 1 won't do; I can't clear it. It would have to be the Tallboy 2 or Superlight, and when fitted, I like the VPP's ride more.

Jazz - It's 29 for me. No need to go half way for 27.5.

It's time to convince the wife that a $3k bike is actually a bargain.

mtbr member
    Tell her it comes with a 5 year warranty. So you'll basically keep it at least that long. $3000/5 years = $600 a year. Now we're down to the price of a season ski pass. But wait, you can ride your bike year round, not just winter. So $600/365 of fun = $1.64.

Most people spend more than that idling in the drive though waiting for a Starbucks frappa-whatever.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    TB2 without a second thought. When you discover the drawbacks of the single pivot design, you'll be kicking yourself otherwise. The TB2 will ride like a hard tail on the flats.
    I'm trying to figure out what drawbacks you're talking about. The suspension stiffens slightly under braking with a single pivot. As far as bobbing goes, which is what I'm assuming you're talking about, are you sure you set up your single-pivot correctly? I have a Superlight and Heckler, and neither bobs excessively when pedaling with proper sag and pedaling technique. Especially in the granny gear, if you're using one, as it stiffens up the suspension when pedaling. I've ridden quite a few suspension designs, and there are differences, but not $500 worth of differences unless you're a serious competitor. Also, I've been reading a lot of people complain about bashing up the lower link on their VPP bikes. That's one reason I have stuck with single pivots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what drawbacks you're talking about.
    Ive owned SP, APP, and VPP SC bikes. To me, the VPP really stands out on square ledges and power-on climbs on loose and uneven terrain. I was able to make larger rock obstacles and rutty climbs the first try on a TB that would given me fits on my SL29. Both bikes had the same tires and the SL was also over 3LBS lighter.

The SL29 was great for flow/XC and the APP butcher was great for bombing down stuff, but the VPP works well on just about everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
    ATX - Tallboy 1 won't do; I can't clear it. It would have to be the Tallboy 2 or Superlight, and when fitted, I like the VPP's ride more.

Hmm, don't have access to the TB1 standover height. Did they actually lower the standover by nearly and inch on the TB2? Pretty cool if so

Did you demo a TB1? Numbers can be deceiving as my 5'4 wife could straddle my L SL29 and butcher without much issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Without question get the TB2. SantaCruz really has refined their suspension systems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Ive owned SP, APP, and VPP SC bikes. To me, the VPP really stands out on square ledges and power-on climbs on loose and uneven terrain. I was able to make larger rock obstacles and rutty climbs the first try on a TB that would given me fits on my SL29. Both bikes had the same tires and the SL was also over 3LBS lighter.

The SL29 was great for flow/XC and the APP butcher was great for bombing down stuff, but the VPP works well on just about everything.
    I can agree with that. The APP and single pivot, being single pivots, firm the suspension in the granny gear, which takes away a bit of traction. This makes a single pivot climb more like a hard tail than a more active VPP. I still don't think a VPP bike is worth $500 more than a single pivot unless you're racing, but it will perform slightly better in certain situations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I can agree with that. The APP and single pivot, being single pivots, firm the suspension in the granny gear, which takes away a bit of traction. This makes a single pivot climb more like a hard tail than a more active VPP. I still don't think a VPP bike is worth $500 more than a single pivot unless you're racing, but it will perform slightly better in certain situations.
    I would imagine the VPLS will be offering some TB1s in the 900-950 range soon so they can be had for a good price (if the OP can make it fit). I paid $600.00 less than SC MSRP for my TBLT frame.

Another thing i forgot to add was how FLEXY my SL29 was. When stomping it on the way to the trails in the big and littles, the BB was all over the place. The front derailleur was always making some sort of noise on power no matter how well it was adjusted. I didn't have a front derailleur on the butcher but it felt a little loose when railed on burms. Nowhere as bad as the SL29 though.

IMHO, the drawbacks of SP designs are somewhat mitigated with larger tires like 29s. I could definitely clear big square ledges a little easier on my 29er single than the butcher.

With SC's new pricing structure, i'd stay away from package bikes and buy a frame online from a reputable dealer for a steal and build it or have it built.

Golden Bears United
    Yes I have actually tested the Tallboy 1 twice and clearance is a no go. And yes, according to SC's website, the new TB size medium is an inch lower.

I like the VPP over SP especially on descend. I also like the packaged deal. I'd gone through building my Salsa awhile back and don't particular care for the time consuming process. I would leave it to the guys at the shop to put everything together for me.

I think I have made up my mind.

Now, has anyone seen a Tallboy 2 in person? My local shops haven' t got one yet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    '14 Santa Cruz Solo
    '05 Salsa Ala Carte -- Trail-a-bike Ed.
    '99 Specialize HardRock -- Child Carrier Ed.