mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Mud Guard for Nomads

Anyone find or make a rear lower mudguard to keep all the mud and crap from getting all up in the pivots?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I made this, keeps the lower link and derailleur fairly clean, it will pack up if you ride through snow, but other than that its been problem free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check the Santa Cruz web site store.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece
    Check the Santa Cruz web site store.
    I did and only see guards for V10's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sorry, I thought they had one for the Nomad, it was for the Driver 8. I don't know if that would line up or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullet dew
    I made this, keeps the lower link and derailleur fairly clean, it will pack up if you ride through snow, but other than that its been problem free.

I took a SKS shockboard front fender and cut it to the shape of the rear triangle on my Intense 5.5. Then I drilled wholes in it and zip tied it to the rear triangle where you have your mud guard. It was only marginally effective. It did keep some of the mud and water off the FD and pivots but when things got really muddy the mud would come over the top and slide down the seat tube. I guess it did a fair job of keeping the big chunks of the lower links. Since moving to Colorado its a non-issue since we have 300 days of sun as compared to the 170+ of rain in Germany where I was before. My Nomad hasn't even seen a muddy ride yet. I honestly miss the mud sometimes. It might mean I am a little crazy.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.