mtbr member
    Oct 2004

MRP XCG bashguard on a Carbon Tallboy

Has anyone had any luck installing an MRP XCG bashguard on a carbon tallboy?

In an attempt to save my XO 2x10 chainrings, I am on my second iteration of MRP XCG bashguards.

Besides having to cut down the mounting bolts, the problem that I am having is that the SRAM specific bracket that mounts behind the ISCG mount will not conform with the frame.

I called MRP and they stated that some carbon frames would not work, but he could not provide any details for a tallboy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    The issue with using the SRAM 2x BB-mount XCG on the Carbon Tallboy is that the inside profile of the ISCG adapter will not clear the area around the BB shell.

The only XCG that will work on the Tallboy is the non-SRAM 2x BB-mount version, just the normal BB mount version. This will still provide protection, but the backplate will be 2.5mm further inboard than the SRAM 2x version and the chain may have enough room to slip between it and the inner chainring. On a SRAM 2x10 crank the inner chainring is further outboard than on a triple crank, that is the reason we created the SRAM 2x XCG kit which consists of a ISCG spacer (2.5mm) and the ISCG mount XCG guide (the adapter pushes the XCG outboard and prevents the chain from ever derailing to the inside).

So with the standard BB mount XCG used in conjunction with a SRAM 2x10 crank you get the protection function, but not the retention function.

Make sense?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The non-Sram 2x BB-mount version was installed and works well. Thanks for the help.