What you and I wanna do
    And go forever crazy with it
    Why the hell are we even here?" ~G.Bordello

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ...drool. hope mine arrives soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would love one of those, but I have no where to ride it!!

New Guy
    weighed it today w/o bb, crank, chainguide, chain, pedals

36.8 lbs ... it'll probably be 40 lbs.
    "If we are here not to do
    What you and I wanna do
    And go forever crazy with it
    Why the hell are we even here?" ~G.Bordello

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hi! Since you´re measuring, how about the wheelbase with the 40?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Complete Driver 8

Just completed my Driver 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    has anyone thought about buying an angled cup head set to get the driver 8 slightly slacker and make it a full blown DH rig?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by rongarr
    Just completed my Driver 8
    Picture pleeeze!
    Review pleeeze!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Driver 8

I've only ridden it twice so I'm still getting used to it.
    It is very fast & predictable downhill.
    Climbing is a bit tough but doable (and worth it in my opinion).
    Sorry about the pictures (lack of) I'm having trouble uploading.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Got Mine!

Got my frame this afternoon and had it assembled by 6:30! Have not really got to ride it seriously yet, but my initial impression is good, I think I am going to like it!
    It weighs 39.5 lbs as pictured
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 SC V10, 2009 IBIS MOJO, 2009 SC V10, 2008 INTENSE 6.6, 2008 Intense Socom,2010 Nomad carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BATM
    Got my frame this afternoon and had it assembled by 6:30! Have not really got to ride it seriously yet, but my initial impression is good, I think I am going to like it!

What headset did you use? I'm waiting for mine and will have a Fox 40 like yours...

mtbr member

Very nice! I like it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks sick! I almost went with red.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I used a Chris king headset, bought it from them as a 1.5 to 1.125 head set. I really do like the chris kings, have them on most of my bikes.
    2008 SC V10, 2009 IBIS MOJO, 2009 SC V10, 2008 INTENSE 6.6, 2008 Intense Socom,2010 Nomad carbon.

mtbr member
    Very nice. I am still waiting on my Driver8 Ano/Orange complete with S/C DH build kit plus with upgrades I made. Hopefully it will be in soon.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the FSA Orbit Z is a nice cost effective headset. That's what I went with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Qoute from Mudd:
    Picture pleeeze!
    Review pleeeze!

(sorry for the above qoute style - not real familiar with posting on forums)

I did not get to do a serious amount of freeriding/downhill time on this bike yet.
    This weekend I spent with my family camping in an area where there was no single track so pedaled it up 6.5 miles of fireroad and a couple miles up a blocked off fire road that was about grown over. I was really happy with how this bike pedals up hill(36 tooth up front, 34/11 in the back). It is obviously work, but the geometry and the suspension make it possible with a lot less effort than I was expecting. I have an 08 V10 that is set up identical as far as the parts spec, with one exception I have a 60mm stem on the v-10 and a 50 on the D8, i could not have pedaled that v-10 up this road without several breaks.

Okay now the free ride type stuff, I rode the stuff I have on my property pics attatched. i would say it handles this type of riding very well, the bike feels very nuetral and predictable, and definitely gives you more air with the same riding style and speed than my v-10. I ride the jumps drops teeters, steep ladders on my property at least 4 times a week for an hour, so I have a real good feel for how the v-10 handles, with my skill level and speed I am able to hit these features I feel the D8 gives up nothing to the v-10 and in fact the D8 feels more precise and stable on most every trail and feuture, it gives up nothing to the v-10 on any trail or feuture I have on my property. I would say it is a more fun bike to ride due to the way the back end allows you to jump small stuff easily. I owned a VP free before I ordered this frame, I would say that the D8 is somewhere between the VP Free and the V-10 with better handling than the VP Free.

So far I really like this bike, will be waiting for others impressions!

Some of the pics are blurry - camera apparently not quick enough - sorry!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Very cool. Is that with the RC4 shock? If so, how did you find it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, it is with the RC4 Fox shock. To start with I set it up the same as the fox RC5 that is on my V10, with the limited riding I have done I cannot tell a lot of difference. The shock settings are a bit easier to get too with this shock and frame than the V10 is.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the action shots of your Driver8. Nice shots!!! My Driver8 can't come in soon enough!!! How does the Driver8 feel at high speeds? I will be using my NomadMKII for downhill until my Driver8 comes in.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

All Mt, DH
    Yes, it is with the RC4 Fox shock. To start with I set it up the same as the fox RC5 that is on my V10, with the limited riding I have done I cannot tell a lot of difference. The shock settings are a bit easier to get too with this shock and frame than the V10 is.
    BATM, thanks for review and the pics. It really feeds some (like myself) on how this bike rides/feels...
    Cheers
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by princexxx
    Very cool. Is that with the RC4 shock? If so, how did you find it?
    Spent some time playing with the RC4 shock today, I like it! it has high and low speed compression settings - and they work!
    If you turn the low speed in the minus direction all the way you get a soft feel when pedaling, if you go all the way in the + direction it feels like a hardtail! Actually not that solid, but it really does make a big difference. I ended up putting mine at + 6 clicks from the - direction.
    The high speed compression helped me out on using the travel up to fast, it had come with this 2 clicks from the - side of the clicks, I rotated it 8 clicks in the + direction from the full - stop, I believe total travel is 12 clicks.
    The bike felt good before playing with these - but it really feels good now!

Lord of the Chainrings
    Qoute from Mudd:
    Picture pleeeze!
    Review pleeeze!

(sorry for the above qoute style - not real familiar with posting on forums)

I did not get to do a serious amount of freeriding/downhill time on this bike yet.
    This weekend I spent with my family camping in an area where there was no single track so pedaled it up 6.5 miles of fireroad and a couple miles up a blocked off fire road that was about grown over. I was really happy with how this bike pedals up hill(36 tooth up front, 34/11 in the back). It is obviously work, but the geometry and the suspension make it possible with a lot less effort than I was expecting. I have an 08 V10 that is set up identical as far as the parts spec, with one exception I have a 60mm stem on the v-10 and a 50 on the D8, i could not have pedaled that v-10 up this road without several breaks.

Okay now the free ride type stuff, I rode the stuff I have on my property pics attatched. i would say it handles this type of riding very well, the bike feels very nuetral and predictable, and definitely gives you more air with the same riding style and speed than my v-10. I ride the jumps drops teeters, steep ladders on my property at least 4 times a week for an hour, so I have a real good feel for how the v-10 handles, with my skill level and speed I am able to hit these features I feel the D8 gives up nothing to the v-10 and in fact the D8 feels more precise and stable on most every trail and feuture, it gives up nothing to the v-10 on any trail or feuture I have on my property. I would say it is a more fun bike to ride due to the way the back end allows you to jump small stuff easily. I owned a VP free before I ordered this frame, I would say that the D8 is somewhere between the VP Free and the V-10 with better handling than the VP Free.

So far I really like this bike, will be waiting for others impressions!

Some of the pics are blurry - camera apparently not quick enough - sorry!
    Cool! Thanks for the review!
    I'm looking for a VP-Free replacement, but I'm leaning toward an Intense Socom. The D8 would fit the bill if it had front derailleur capability. Not everyone around here is blessed with chairlifts and shuttles at their favorite local trails. Anyone have a D8 with Hammerschmidt? Someone please tell me why the D8 is better for me then the Socom!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

My Driver 8 from Mexico

Finally, here is my 37.6 lbs. Driver 8 setup for Harcore Fun! I think SC did it again...

All Mt, DH
    El3ctroplatano
    My Driver 8 from Mexico
    Finally, here is my 37.6 lbs. Driver 8 setup for Harcore Fun! I think SC did it again...

Very nice pics and build there. The yellow looks a lot better than expected. If running a Ti Coil the weight could drop a bit more, although I can see you have been careful with parts selection, well done!
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast