mtbr member

LT2 first thoughts/ride experience

So, after a single ride around town and through a green belt with minor single track i can already tell a huge difference between the lt2 and my old heckler. my heckler pedaled great, some bob of course but with propedal turned on it was great. the lt2....blows my mind how well it pedals. it also felt very balanced at high speeds, thru my local greenbelt/singletrack, i was amazed how much faster i was going. i remember weighing the bike and it totaled to 5 lbs lighter than my heckler, given i got a revelation, and some other parts that were lighter, but 5 lbs is pretty epic. i think im sitting at right around 30.5 pounds. in short, i had my doubts how much better the lt2 was, but so far have been very very pleased. sunday i ride auburn and it gets its first true test.

MOBtown
    I'm very interested to hear what you think about the new Revelation. Please let us know how it feels after a few rides, and what model it is. Your bike looks great!
    KENDA

MOBtown
    Also, did you have a chance to weight it before the install???
    KENDA

mtbr member
    the new revelation is so far a very nice fork. total weight is roughly 4.4 pounds. its the reveltion 426 without u turn. comes with a remote lockout that i havent installed yet. so far ive really enjoyed the positive and negative air chamber design, really lets you adjust to your riding style. the motion control i have yet to try out, by sunday night though ill have made some adjustments probably.

3D guy

Revelation Dual Air

Here are some images of my Revelation Dual Air (140mm travel). As you can see it weighs 4.51 lb without the steerer being cut. Basically it is a light Pike (Pike internals and lowers, note the ISO vice post mount tabs) with 20mm Maxle Light.

Last edited by gstahl; 08-22-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gstahl
    Here are some images of my Revelation Dual Air (140mm travel). As you can see it weighs 4.51 lb without the steerer being cut. Basically it is a light Pike (Pike internals and lowers, note the ISO vice post mount tabs) with 20mm Maxle Light.

Interesting - it's the same weight as the Pike 454 Dual Air.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Interesting - it's the same weight as the Pike 454 Dual Air.
    Little dissappointing. My 36talas rc2 is 5.0lbs. Excluding price difference, this is quite shocking.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Pushed already huh? Jesus, does it really need it and how much better is it? I might send mine in this winter but the thing feels so good already.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    I got to ride my lt2 on a trail today. did the foresthill divide trail on it in auburn. Have ridden it a few times on my heckler so it was a good comparison trail.
    First of all, climbing rocked. climbing w/ the propedal on the "light" setting was on par with the heckler with the dhx5 coil propedal turned up all the way. when set to "normal" however, the lt2 smashed the heckler in speed and ease. havent tried the "firm" setting yet, will update on that later i suppose.
    2nd, i loved how similar the lt2 just feels w/ my old heckler, made the transition a lot easier for me. geometry is all pretty much identical, which is awesome.
    3. on the descents, the lt2 was extremely stable, didnt bounce around as much as my heckler. the lt2 is a much more...wheels on ground friendly bike haha. which is why the heckler is awesome too, it can be flung anywhere.
    all in all, my lt2 purchase has seemed worth it. for those who have old gen hecklers and are thinking about a new trail bike, the lt2 makes a lot of sense.

3D guy
    Thanks for the report, can 't wait for all the parts to arrive to assemble my new bike (going from 2002 Blur to LT2).
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

mtbr member
    So compared to the Heckler, did you feel the new VPP is just as strong and reliable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I ride a Heckler so your feedback is great!

I've been riding my Heckler for about 3 years now and it is an awesome bike. Still looks great and is a very low maintenance and consistant performer. I have been getting the new bike itch lately though. I've been considering the new LT2, Ibis Mojo, the new Yeti 575, and a Chumba XCL. Oh, and of course the new Heckler. This will have to be my do everything bike. I had a Bullit also but recently sold it as I've been riding the Heckler more and more as time has gone by. I have a 454 Air U-Turn Pike on my Heckler and it is still in stock form and has about 2 years of flawless performance. I should probably have it rebuilt although is still works as it did when it was new. I'm curious about how the Pushed Pikes compare to stock? It seem to me that my Pike is pretty much perfect as it is. I look forward to more feedback as your get more riding time in on your LT2.

mtbr member
    Ronin, cant say about the reliability yet since ive only had ride time for a week now, but so far no problems. the cool greasegun you get with the lt2 is pretty sweet. i dont a more complicated suspension system in the long run will ever be as strong and reliable as a single pivot, but im confident it will be much more maintenance free.

67 degrees, ive ridden on some bikes with a Pike, and theyre really nice. ive never had any experience with pushed, but only hear good things.

mtbr member
    What greasegun? I didn't get any greasegun with my BLT2.

mtbr member
    Go back to your LBS where you bought the bike and ask them where your grease gun is, Santacruz sends out a nice gun with a tube of grease with the BLT2. A shop here in jersey has been pilfering them and selling them as an accessory, they have been reported to SantaCruz. If they give you the run around, then contact Santacruz and report them, and I would be reasonably sure that they will ship you one.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    NO.......????????

It comes with the grease gun. But according to Mountain Bike Action, thats all it should be coming with. Grease is on your own.

Or is it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mine came with the grease also...

mtbr member
    the shop I used to work for they have been comming in with a small tube of grease as well.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Sometimes it does...sometimes it doesn't. It is a Santa Cruz after all...
    I am immune to your disdain.

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    grease gun, grease, a neopreme chainstay protector and a bottle opener aka derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    hey, whats everyone running their rear shock on? im 145 lbs, running at 2 click away from full rebound, with light propedal on normally.

Surly OG
    Sweet bike! and a Revelation with a 20mm Maxle Light... On the market and on bikes...... the only fox 15qr I've seen have been on Pro's bikes, Yeti Demos, and with custom 15mm Adapters for 20mm hubs.....

Fox Late to the dance and shot in the foot.... Nice going.... Glad I got my 454 U-turn Air.
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member

I love my Blur LT

I got mine early August and cant believe how awesome it is. It was an upgrade from a classic Blur ive had for years. Ive had it on some really tough trails. I live in southern Utah so i know rough rocky trails. The Blur descends so well. It also peddles as good or better than my classic Blur. Im not going to lie its amazing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' -- probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.

mtbr member
    Sympton, how do you like the fox 36 fork on there? i got the revelation thinking 160mm up front would make the bikes geometry not optimal.

mtbr member

fox 36

i really like it. i too was kind of concerned when i got it that it might be to tall. but ive found that it handles really well. i ride alot of really rocky stuff and it soaks it right up. i will admit on really steep climbs it does feel like it wants to fly of the ground but thats why i got the talas, so i could drop it down a notch. over all im really impressed. no issues yet. im still happy.
    As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' -- probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have had my BLT2 for a couple of months now, I have it built up with lightweight XC parts and some 09 Talas 36 forks.

I have since ridden the bike down a Nationals Downhill track, I have ridden it on Epic XC rides, I have on fast flowing single track, I have ridden a jump track and ridden at a BMX park.

I can confidently say this is the most fun bike I have ever ridden and so far it handles everything I have thrown at it.

It Downhills faster than my 08 Bullit did, it climbs hills better than my 07 Superlight and it is more fun to ride than my VP-Free was (The Free was a great all round bike).

mtbr member
    lol.....sooo.....i ate sh*t at N* on the final day on my lt2. hit a little jump, endo'd, fell on a rock. a little soar but should be good to ride by the weekend. really sucked though. tried to figure out what i coulda done regarding psi levels for my bike/the geometry wasnt great for the DH. i weigh about 155 with gear, have an 09 revelation. set it up with 93ish psi in the + chamber and bout 100 in the - chamber. just didnt feel well at all on the 2nd run on flameout. might of been a confidence thing at that point. oh well, got a while to get ready for N* again. the only place where i regret not buying the nomad haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    I've been riding my Heckler for about 3 years now and it is an awesome bike. Still looks great and is a very low maintenance and consistant performer. I have been getting the new bike itch lately though. I've been considering the new LT2, Ibis Mojo, the new Yeti 575, and a Chumba XCL. Oh, and of course the new Heckler. This will have to be my do everything bike. I had a Bullit also but recently sold it as I've been riding the Heckler more and more as time has gone by. I have a 454 Air U-Turn Pike on my Heckler and it is still in stock form and has about 2 years of flawless performance. I should probably have it rebuilt although is still works as it did when it was new. I'm curious about how the Pushed Pikes compare to stock? It seem to me that my Pike is pretty much perfect as it is. I look forward to more feedback as your get more riding time in on your LT2.
    any more thoughts or insights on your short list of bikes you are evaluating ( LT2, Yeti, Ibis, Chumba)? i too got the new bike itch, and just sold my 05 Yeti 575. Loved it, good all around. i had a Talas 32 up front which i liked most of the time, but on rocky, technical stuff (Tahoe, Downieville) it was a little flexy. So... is there that one bike/ build that can still keep up with the XC bikes, and still hold its own on the downhills? I am light (150) and not doing drops or stunts. thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Would you happen to know the bb height with the fox 36? I am looking at putting a Lyrik on an LT2 & am curious about the geo. Also if you happen to know the head angle, that would be greatly appreciated.

THX,
    Dre

Quote Originally Posted by SymptomRelief
    I got mine early August and cant believe how awesome it is. It was an upgrade from a classic Blur ive had for years. Ive had it on some really tough trails. I live in southern Utah so i know rough rocky trails. The Blur descends so well. It also peddles as good or better than my classic Blur. Im not going to lie its amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm with GQOSE

Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE
    I got to ride my lt2 on a trail today. did the foresthill divide trail on it in auburn. Have ridden it a few times on my heckler so it was a good comparison trail.
    First of all, climbing rocked. climbing w/ the propedal on the "light" setting was on par with the heckler with the dhx5 coil propedal turned up all the way. when set to "normal" however, the lt2 smashed the heckler in speed and ease. havent tried the "firm" setting yet, will update on that later i suppose.
    2nd, i loved how similar the lt2 just feels w/ my old heckler, made the transition a lot easier for me. geometry is all pretty much identical, which is awesome.
    3. on the descents, the lt2 was extremely stable, didnt bounce around as much as my heckler. the lt2 is a much more...wheels on ground friendly bike haha. which is why the heckler is awesome too, it can be flung anywhere.
    all in all, my lt2 purchase has seemed worth it. for those who have old gen hecklers and are thinking about a new trail bike, the lt2 makes a lot of sense.
    I upgraded from a 2005 Heckler that was an awesome bike. Sitting on the BLT2 feels almost identical in layout as my old Heckler. Once you start off pedaling you can immediately tell a difference in how much power is going to the wheels. The BLT2 is very efficient bike. I have the Pike 454 Air U-Turn on mine and I think it is only an ounce or two more thant your revelation. Very interesting. It seems the Revelation is replacing the Pike but what will the Pike replace?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i have a large LT2 w/ the R-AM setup (revelation, RP23), and i was also wondering about air pressure setup. right now i'm running about 175 PSI in the RP23, which seems on the high side ( i only get 10mm of sag at that pressure--howver, the bike still feels pretty plush) .

also, any thoughts on the revelation air pressures would also be appreciated, thanks.

i'm about 165 lbs fully loaded
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    I'm 195 nekkid and run 160 in the RP23 on my LT2...
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So for all you folks out there running fox 32's. The 32 vanilla is absolutely butter on anything. the geometry isnt ideal(im hoping for 67-68) but it climbs great and descends extremely well. And the best part, NO LOST TRAVEL like all the other air forks ive tried. then again, im saying this after only 3 rides on it and since my stupid hand injury at sea otter none but i just thought id say, the vanilla has truly made me a fan. also debating on upping my granny ring to a 24 instead of the 22.
    2008 Specialized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    whoa weird, on a coworkers account, this was GQOSE btw
    2008 Specialized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No lost travel

Quote Originally Posted by bgolomb
    So for all you folks out there running fox 32's. The 32 vanilla is absolutely butter on anything. the geometry isnt ideal(im hoping for 67-68) but it climbs great and descends extremely well. And the best part, NO LOST TRAVEL like all the other air forks ive tried. then again, im saying this after only 3 rides on it and since my stupid hand injury at sea otter none but i just thought id say, the vanilla has truly made me a fan. also debating on upping my granny ring to a 24 instead of the 22.

It's good to hear you like your Fox 32. I understand their latest offerings are pretty sweet although I have not ridden a late model Fox 32. I had an older Fox 32 Talas and hated it. This was 3 years ago. I replaced it with a Pike Coil U-Turn at the time and that was a really nice fork. I sold that bike, bought a Heckler and put a Pike 454 Air U-Turn on and it was one of the best forks I've ever owned. I sold the Heckler and bought a new BLT2 and I kept the Pike 454 Air. I have never once lost any travel with the Pike.

I also have a 2008 Fox 36 Talas and it's also a great fork and like the Pike, I have never lost any travel but have only had the 36 for a couple of months.

I guess my point out of this is, the Pike's hav e been awesome and totally reliable and issue free.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i did a couple of searches, but havent found a BLT2 specific setup thread (fork, shock, etc) --can someone link me to one if there is something along those lines? thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here you go

Quote Originally Posted by dth656
    i did a couple of searches, but havent found a BLT2 specific setup thread (fork, shock, etc) --can someone link me to one if there is something along those lines? thanks in advance

There is no setup guide for the fork. You will need to get that from the fork manufactuer but here is the setup chart for the various shock options available for the BLT2.

http://www.santacruzbikes.com/blurlt/index.php?setup=1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    It's good to hear you like your Fox 32. I understand their latest offerings are pretty sweet although I have not ridden a late model Fox 32. I had an older Fox 32 Talas and hated it. This was 3 years ago. I replaced it with a Pike Coil U-Turn at the time and that was a really nice fork. I sold that bike, bought a Heckler and put a Pike 454 Air U-Turn on and it was one of the best forks I've ever owned. I sold the Heckler and bought a new BLT2 and I kept the Pike 454 Air. I have never once lost any travel with the Pike.

I also have a 2008 Fox 36 Talas and it's also a great fork and like the Pike, I have never lost any travel but have only had the 36 for a couple of months.

I guess my point out of this is, the Pike's hav e been awesome and totally reliable and issue free.

I have both 08 140mm travel and 09 QR 15 150mm travel Talas forks and there is a huge difference in stiffness, spring rate and overall plushness between them. The 09 Talas uses more travel but isn't divey, just nicely supportive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    what types of tire pressures are you guys running? this is my first time w/ such a large tire (the OEM kenda nevegal 2.35), and i think i have it around 40-44PSI, and it still feels pretty soft, w/ relatively high rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run 30PSI in the front and 35 in the rear.

mtbr member
    i have 2 sets of main tires i use for different runs. 2.35 maxxis high rollers for front and rear and run em at about 45 psi each for the long epic days. for shuttling and northstar i got a pair of specialized cltuch dh's and theyre running around 30-35 psi each. as far as setup of suspension goes, i think most people here are running the rear with a little less air. i also have rebound about 2 clicks away from full rebound in the rear. just try a few runs with different setting and dial it in for your needs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it.

i used the SC website sag as a starting point. i'm more of an XC rider (lotta climbing), w/ some rock gardens and max 1-2' drops thrown in.

i started off w/ 20mm sag (a little above the 15-18mm suggested by SC, but the air pressure was spot on for my weight), and felt that in technical climbing, the front wheel would come up easily, and that i could no longer stay seated on the bike, but had to put my nose to the stem. of course, on the way down, the rear felt super plush, and i was able to go a lot faster than i ever had before

i came back, added air (sag now down to 14mm), and hit hte same trail. my weight wasnt as far back now w/ the reduced sag, so the bike climbed better than before. downhills are still fast over rough stuff, but not as fast w/ the 20mm sag. i think i'll ride this config a few more times before adjusting further.

last question, however. i noticed that in the first 2 months of riding this bike, there was a SUPER noticeable difference w/ pro-pedal on vs. off. in the "3" setting, the rear end was a lot stiffer during sloppy cranking. now, however, pro-pedal on vs. off doesnt seem to do much (much like in the "RP23 light valving" thread). is this just the shock breaking in, or the light valving issue? thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656
    what types of tire pressures are you guys running? this is my first time w/ such a large tire (the OEM kenda nevegal 2.35), and i think i have it around 40-44PSI, and it still feels pretty soft, w/ relatively high rolling resistance.
    As for tire pressure, I'd say that's most likely too high. I ran the same tires in the low 30's on technical terrain (not not too high speed), and I weigh 200lbs with gear on a 6" trail bike. The Neve's are notoriously slow rollers. Awesome grip in the corners, but you pay a penalty everywhere else. So for you to have such a grippy tire run at such high pressures, you're not really taking advantage of all the nobs (basically could look at it as lugging around a lot of nobs that aren't helping as much as they could). With this line of thought for my bike, I switched from the Neves to a High Roller up front 2.35" UST (its smaller than a Kenda 2.35), and love the faster rolling style. Grip isn't as good worry free, but well worth the trade off since I'm able to get lots of speed in the tight spots.

On the rear you need a lot less grip...like I'm running the Weirwolf LT, but still want something lighter so I'm still going to try something different. Point is the Neve 2.35 is most likely waay overkill on the rear, so you could start there with a faster rolling tire as step 1 in a tire experiment, and leave the grippy Neve up front where it matters most. If you're in a dry place you could even try a Small Block 8 in back...the speed will blow your mind!!

-Kcavt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tires

I have been running a 2.35 Nevegal Stickee up front and it is awesome. I just switched from a Micheling All-Mountain X-Treme 2.2 in the rear to a Nevegal DTC 2.35. The Michelin is a great rolling tire but has few side knobs and is slippery on loose off camber situations. The Nevegal has great off camber traction but is terrible for lots of rolling resistance. I am blown away by how much more effort it takes to ride the bike now. On my Chumba Evo I just swithced to a Maxxis 2.35 UST Highroller and it is almost like someone added a little motor to my bike. Not really but it is unbelievable how easy and fast the bike pedals. The Maxxis UST Highroller is a pretty narrow tire and really looks more like a 2.1 but looks asside, it rolls very fast and the traction including off camber is very good. The tire is a little heavier than the Nevegal but is tubeless and a lot more pleasureable to ride. I am going to switch out the Nevegal for another Highroller in the rear on my LT2 and leave the Nevegal up front where it really shines.