mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Looking to get a Solo or Bronson coming from a Yeti Lover

Been riding a Yeti ASR-5c now for a while and sold it to a buddy who wanted to get back into riding. So the search has begun for a new bike for the past month or so. Since I've sold it I've been riding my wife's 100mm 29er which is not my style (trek Hifi). Great bike just not me, love the rolling characteristics over rough terrain but am more of an aggressive rider. I use bikes to cross train for racing motorcycles etc.

I live in east Tennessee Near Chattanooga and the terrain is XC, rocky, hilly, lots of roots, some downhills but nothing like a true downhill run. I'm 6-2" athletic build 220 lbs.

I've only road a Solo with the front stock 130mm fork I think extended to 140mm with all xt components for 27 mi on saturday. Had an absolute blast. The bike also had industry 9 wheels and NN tires, suspension was smooth and loved the 27.5 wheel size.

I've read a lot of reviews stating the solo and the Bronson are very close. Just the Bronson is obviously better on the downhill where the solo is better uphill etc. my question is with the same lighter/stronger wheels/tires how does the Bronson compare to the Solo..... I'd say a lot of people test the Bronson with the stock lead tires it comes with...
    Last edited by idsmokeu2; 09-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    Been riding a Yeti ASR-5c now for a while and sold it to a buddy who wanted to get back into riding. So the search has begun for a new bike for the past month or so. Since I've sold it I've been riding my wife's 100mm 29er which is not my style (trek Hifi). Great bike just not me, love the rolling characteristics over rough terrain but am more of an aggressive rider. I use bikes to cross train for racing motorcycles etc.

I live in east Tennessee Near Chattanooga and the terrain is XC, rocky, hilly, lots of roots, some downhills but nothing like a true downhill run. I'm 6-2" athletic build 220 lbs.

I've only road a Solo with the front stock 130mm fork I think extended to 140mm with all xt components for 27 mi on saturday. Had an absolute blast. The bike also had industry 9 wheels and NN tires, suspension was smooth and loved the 27.5 wheel size.

I've read a lot of reviews stating the solo and the Bronson are very close. Just the Bronson is obviously better on the downhill where the solo is better uphill etc. my question is with the same lighter/stronger wheels/tires how does the Bronson compare to the Solo..... I'd say a lot of people test the Bronson with the stock lead tires it comes with...
    The only real component difference between the bikes would be the fork. Other than that, the weights will be very close. Personally, Id get a Bronson with a Pike on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes, you are right. The solo has the 32/130mm fork and Bronson has 34/150mm.

If I'm not mistaken, on either fork you can extend the travel 10mm further right?

I just didn't know how the bronson would climb with similar XC style wheels/tires as the solo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Personally, Id get a Bronson with a Pike on it.
    Which is what I've just done and I'm loving it!

I had a Yeti SB66 last summer and have to say I prefer the Bronson C.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    Which is what I've just done and I'm loving it!

I had a Yeti SB66 last summer and have to say I prefer the Bronson C.
    What do you prefer about it GlennW? anything in particular the Bronson excels over the sb66?

I am literally deciding what bike to get and it's down to SB66c and BronsonC.

P.s. I have had a test on both bikes and love both I just can't decide.

mtbr member
    I loved my Yeti SB66 A and one of the big things I liked about it was the slightly longer top tube (compared with things like the Mojo HD) which gave me a pretty good position which I felt secure with (although it possibly stressed an old back injury too I've since realised). Since I sold the SB66 last Oct I've ridden a lot of different bikes (Trek, Orange, Scott, Nukeproof) and worked out that with a little modification to my riding style I'd feel equally happy on these too (it's about me getting my weight waaaaay back on super steep descents).

When I test rode the Bronson C back in the UK it felt like it picked up speed fast & carried it really well, the slightly bigger wheels also felt like they let me plow through a bit more of the rough stuff when needed, with no compromise around it being less robust/burly. I felt so confident with it on descents I'd never seen before and I was going fast too (at least according to Strava!?), that I was pretty much sold.

It's worth me mentioning that my SB66 had the 32mm Fox Float forks, while the Bronson i test rode in the UK had Fox Float 34mm forks and my own Bronson now has Rockshox Pike Solo Air 35mm forks, with the Pikes definitely feeling like the best of that bunch.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I loved my Yeti SB66 A and one of the big things I liked about it was the slightly longer top tube (compared with things like the Mojo HD) which gave me a pretty good position which I felt secure with (although it possibly stressed an old back injury too I've since realised). Since I sold the SB66 last Oct I've ridden a lot of different bikes (Trek, Orange, Scott, Nukeproof) and worked out that with a little modification to my riding style I'd feel equally happy on these too (it's about me getting my weight waaaaay back on super steep descents).

When I test rode the Bronson C back in the UK it felt like it picked up speed fast & carried it really well, the slightly bigger wheels also felt like they let me plow through a bit more of the rough stuff when needed, with no compromise around it being less robust/burly. I felt so confident with it on descents I'd never seen before and I was going fast too (at least according to Strava!?), that I was pretty much sold.

It's worth me mentioning that my SB66 had the 32mm Fox Float forks, while the Bronson i test rode in the UK had Fox Float 34mm forks and my own Bronson now has Rockshox Pike Solo Air 35mm forks, with the Pikes definitely feeling like the best of that bunch.
    Thank you for that post. You have made my decision much easier now with me leaning heavily towards the Bronson. Final test ride tomorrow morning before I put a deposit down.

mtbr member
    How did you get on with the final test rides & which way did your deposit money go???
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How did you get on with the final test rides & which way did your deposit money go???
    I forgot to report back sorry about that Glenn. I rode both and absolutely love both but think I like the aggresive feel of the SB66c more than the Bronson. I could feel my back tightening up and with what you had said about the sb66c agrivating your back problems I decided to wait for the sb75 to test that.

In the mean time I ordered a Banshee Rune with CCDB air CS so I can build it up with the ultimate components and then when I finally decide on a frame I can upgrade it.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a good back-up plan there with the Rune.

Either way I'm sure you won't go far wrong - they are both superb bikes. If I had the cash I'd have an SB66C too!
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm interested to hear a comparison of the Bronson and the sb-66. The geometry specs on a large sb-66 and an xl bronson are VERY similar. I would think that wheel size and suspension differences would be more noticeable that fit or angle differences.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    rtocountry
    mtbr member

Demo..Demo..Demo!! 5'9" 180lbs 32 inseam. I currently ride large TBc. When the Solo and Bronson came out I felt one of these two bikes would fill in the gaps the TBc was missing: tires a bit too big and skinny, slow starts, didn't let me take the lines my 26er would, not as playful on the 2-3 foot drops/jumps. On paper I was totally sold on the Bronson. I demoed it and had a blast. A bit heavy on the ascents but more travel and better tire size for me. Last minute I decided to try out the Solo on a few of my favorite trails. I am sooo glad I did. $100 well spent. The solo is right in between the TBc and Bronson IMHO. Unless I'm dropping/jumping 4-5 feet everyday it's def not the bike for me. I climbed faster on the Solo than my TBc and actually felt my decents handled better than then Bronson. Way more flickable and able to handle 2-3 drops/jumps just as good if not better then the Bronson. Ordered the Solo same day as demo. If your on the fence and trying out in the parking lot you won't understand the capabilities of the bikes. You have to demo. I was sold on the Bronson in the stores parking lot but did a 180' after demoing both. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rtocountry View Post
    rtocountry
    mtbr member

Demo..Demo..Demo!! 5'9" 180lbs 32 inseam. I currently ride large TBc. When the Solo and Bronson came out I felt one of these two bikes would fill in the gaps the TBc was missing: tires a bit too big and skinny, slow starts, didn't let me take the lines my 26er would, not as playful on the 2-3 foot drops/jumps. On paper I was totally sold on the Bronson. I demoed it and had a blast. A bit heavy on the ascents but more travel and better tire size for me. Last minute I decided to try out the Solo on a few of my favorite trails. I am sooo glad I did. $100 well spent. The solo is right in between the TBc and Bronson IMHO. Unless I'm dropping/jumping 4-5 feet everyday it's def not the bike for me. I climbed faster on the Solo than my TBc and actually felt my decents handled better than then Bronson. Way more flickable and able to handle 2-3 drops/jumps just as good if not better then the Bronson. Ordered the Solo same day as demo. If your on the fence and trying out in the parking lot you won't understand the capabilities of the bikes. You have to demo. I was sold on the Bronson in the stores parking lot but did a 180' after demoing both. Hope this helps!

rtocountry , where do you live/ride in the states? I did a demo the other day and rode both an XL solo and bronson. I did feel like the bronson was ever so slightly more sluggish but was a lot plusher overall. Downhill was pretty sweet and I didn't feel like it gave up a lot to the solor in climbing. The solo was slightly poppier, had stiffer suspension, and was twitchier at the bars. I really didn't notice a big big difference in between the two as far as energy spent riding. Obvious difference is the HA 67 vs 68...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    rtocountry , where do you live/ride in the states? I did a demo the other day and rode both an XL solo and bronson. I did feel like the bronson was ever so slightly more sluggish but was a lot plusher overall. Downhill was pretty sweet and I didn't feel like it gave up a lot to the solor in climbing. The solo was slightly poppier, had stiffer suspension, and was twitchier at the bars. I really didn't notice a big big difference in between the two as far as energy spent riding. Obvious difference is the HA 67 vs 68...
    idsmokeu2,

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I ride most the popular trails here: Bobsled, Dog Lake, Quarry Trail, The Crest. I also frequent the rides in Park City(30 min away): Mid mountain, Spiro etc. There are local 8 ski resorts that have some all mountain/downhill terrain... I don't ride those much. You can google these types of terrain. A few times a year we head down to Moab, Utah. We usually do Amassa Back, Porcupine, Soverign and Slick Rock. I am by no means a "Pro rider" but fall into the expert catagory and will do most anything that doesn't require full body amor etc.

I think your assessment of the Bronson and Solo are pretty accurate. I personally like the "poppier, stiffer suspension" of the Solo. I like to throw my bike around and climb a bit faster and found the Solo beat the Bronson in this category. I believe the Bronson I demoed had beefier tires, longer stem and shorter handle bars. Maybe this effected my decision some?? If I lived in Whistler, Moab or only near Ski resorts I might have gone with the Bronson. All my friends are taller and weigh more than me and love their Tallboy. I am on the smaller size so maybe in the end I was looking for a smaller bike/tires than the Tallboy and something not quite as burly as the Bronson. The Solo just seemed to fit the bill. From the research I have done, size and weight come into play just as much as terrain preference. Not sure of your H/W but maybe thats where you didn't experience too much of a difference in "energy spent". For me, personally, there was a noticable difference. All the guys at the local bike shops swear by the Bronson but are heavier, taller and more skilled riders than me.

BTW: I actually called Santa Cruz before demoing both bikes. They were familiar enough with the terrain I ride to indefinatley recommend I go with the Solo. You might want to call them to get their opinion.

These bikes are spendy and it's good to brainstorm before shelling out this kind of cash!! I'd be interested to know your type of rides and what you end up going with.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    idsmokeu2,

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I ride most the popular trails here: Bobsled, Dog Lake, Quarry Trail, The Crest. I also frequent the rides in Park City(30 min away): Mid mountain, Spiro etc. There are local 8 ski resorts that have some all mountain/downhill terrain... I don't ride those much. You can google these types of terrain. A few times a year we head down to Moab, Utah. We usually do Amassa Back, Porcupine, Soverign and Slick Rock. I am by no means a "Pro rider" but fall into the expert catagory and will do most anything that doesn't require full body amor etc.

I think your assessment of the Bronson and Solo are pretty accurate. I personally like the "poppier, stiffer suspension" of the Solo. I like to throw my bike around and climb a bit faster and found the Solo beat the Bronson in this category. I believe the Bronson I demoed had beefier tires, longer stem and shorter handle bars. Maybe this effected my decision some?? If I lived in Whistler, Moab or only near Ski resorts I might have gone with the Bronson. All my friends are taller and weigh more than me and love their Tallboy. I am on the smaller size so maybe in the end I was looking for a smaller bike/tires than the Tallboy and something not quite as burly as the Bronson. The Solo just seemed to fit the bill. From the research I have done, size and weight come into play just as much as terrain preference. Not sure of your H/W but maybe thats where you didn't experience too much of a difference in "energy spent". For me, personally, there was a noticable difference. All the guys at the local bike shops swear by the Bronson but are heavier, taller and more skilled riders than me.

BTW: I actually called Santa Cruz before demoing both bikes. They were familiar enough with the terrain I ride to indefinatley recommend I go with the Solo. You might want to call them to get their opinion.

These bikes are spendy and it's good to brainstorm before shelling out this kind of cash!! I'd be interested to know your type of rides and what you end up going with.

Cheers!
    I live in East Tennessee (Chattanooga, Tn) and we have an assortment of places to ride since we are on the edge of the Smokies. Unfortunately, no ski resorts are nearby so there are not really any looong downhill runs like you would see at a resort. Raccoon Mnt, Ocoee, Biology Trails, are some of the main ones we go just because they are all 20 minutes from the house. Our terrain has a BIG variety, itís definitely got a lot of rocky, roots, tighter some open trails, good bit of climbing, and obviously have good downhill sections.

I am 6-2 and weigh 225 w/o gear on and would consider myself an advanced rider outside the relm of racing. I have never done a Mnt Bike race and donít really plan on it. I know the skill level increases exponentially at races compared to who you see on the trails weekly. I try to go a couple times a week so keep my cardio up and really just have a decent time. After work I only really have time for an 1-3 hr ride so maybe 8-15(max) miles depends on there I climb at as some places have more climbing it seems than anything else.

I rode a Large Yeti which was on the verge of being too small but fit alright and rode a Large Solo which I felt was a little more cramped than the Large Yeti. So when I did the demo days, I only rode XLís in both the Solo and the Bronson. I ended up adjusting the seat in a neutral position (foreword/backwards) to feel comfortable with the stock stem.

I feel if I just wanted a little peppier suspension for more of a XC ride, I could always go up a little on the Bronsonís pressure and fine tune it with the CTD settings. Then you would still have your 6Ē of travel when needed or on the flip side lower the pressure slightly if you wanted to make it ride like a Caddy and still have 4-5Ē of effective up travel with it being super soft.

I just wish they made a Bronson in the rescue orange they do on the solo (5010). Makes my race bike .....

BTW, whatís the length of the stock stem on the Bronson? It looks to be quite short like a 50 or something like that..

mtbr member

Re: Looking to get a Solo or Bronson coming from a Yeti Lover

rtocountry
    mtbr member

Demo..Demo..Demo!! 5'9" 180lbs 32 inseam. I currently ride large TBc. When the Solo and Bronson came out I felt one of these two bikes would fill in the gaps the TBc was missing: tires a bit too big and skinny, slow starts, didn't let me take the lines my 26er would, not as playful on the 2-3 foot drops/jumps. On paper I was totally sold on the Bronson. I demoed it and had a blast. A bit heavy on the ascents but more travel and better tire size for me. Last minute I decided to try out the Solo on a few of my favorite trails. I am sooo glad I did...!
    Did you go with a medium or a large Solo?
    I am also 5'9" and ride medium TB ans TRc.