I Ride for Donuts

A little sizing help?

I know that the real answer is "ride one and see"... I might not get to do that. Hoping for some real world experience with Santa Cruz sizing since I've never owned one.

I'm 6'2" plus...just about 6'3", fairly long arms/legs, and I'm looking at getting a Bantam.
    On paper, it looks like the XL is the obvious choice. I do like a little shorter frame sometimes, so I'm curious if any 'tall' folks wind up on a Large frame of similar geometry... Solo, Bronson? I don't want to have to run a really long stem to make it work.

Also, I like to do a few really long rides each year... 8+ hours, 70-80 miles with plenty of climbing and descending...I want the bike to be comfortable for that as well as 'flickable' on the trail. Usually a longer bike is more comfortable for the long haul.

Any advice from the SC geometry experts?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am 6' and felt comfortable on the XL Bronson when I rode it.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Go with the XL. Santa Cruz sizing runs a touch small. I am exactly 5'10". Longish arms. I have a medium Superlight 29er, wish I had bought the large. According to SC website, I am on the medium side of medium or large. When I demoed a Bronson this summer, SC demo team said I needed a large. I rode a large and it was fine. I need to run too long a stem on my Superlight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Go with the XL for sure. I am the exact height and I rode a Large Blur LTC for the past 4 years. After longer rides over 3+ hours, my back would be tired and sore. I was not in the market for a new bike until I rode my friend's Bronson XL. It was night and day how much better it felt. Prior to the LTC, I rode a Blur Classic in Large. It seemed to be larger than the LTC. I ended up buying a Solo in XL and absolutely love it. I love the new wheel size and the frame size is really comfortable. It corners, climbs and descends better than the Large Blur. I noticed the bike just sticks to the trail on steep climbs. You do not have to move around the bike as much when climbing. The Solo also handles any downhill comparable to the Bronson (on Montana trails). Both are amazing bikes!!! So, go XL for sure on either and you will be happy.

mtbr member
    XL for sure

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oops, wrong post
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

I Ride for Donuts
    Thanks guys, sounds like XL is where it's at. I figured, but it's a big decision!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)