mtbr member

A little advice on drivetrain setup for my Heckler

Hi

I picked up a used 2005 Heckler frame with a Swinger 4-way and am putting it together a little at a time. I am planning on getting the whole drivetrain in one shot and am considering the following setup. As of now I only have a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 forks and Avid Jucy 7 brakes with a 185mm front rotor. I'm 5'9" 165 pds.

Crankset: Shimano XT Crankset HollowTech II M770
    Front derailleur: SRAM X.9 Front Derailleur Conventional 9sp
    Rear derailleur: SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur 9sp 2008 long cage
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger Shifters 9sp
    Cassette: SRAM PG980 Cassette 9sp

Are all these components compatible? in particular the crankset with X9 setup?
    Could it be improved? Like with any XT components? Would an XT front derailleur be a better choice or is it more logical to have X9 front D and back, for example?
    Also, is a long cage the right choice? I'm planning on riding mostly all mountain. No heavy drops or downhill.

I'm a new guy and would appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Last edited by stepping-razor; 09-01-2008 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi Stepping-razor,
    I had All Mountain 1 forks on my Heckler they where good, just got a bit flexi when pushed hard,Pike is a good upgrade in the future, the brakes should be fine 185 front is ok I run 185 front and back, The XT cranks will go fine with the SRAM set up, I think the new XT shifts smoother than the X9 but I believe the x9 set up is super reliable in all conditions. I was chatting to the guides in the Alps who ride 8 hours a day 6-7 days a week, they said for reliability the X9 set up was top,
    Hope hubs and Hope mono4 brakes and Mavic rims, and XT cranks , and Rock shox forks. If your build is around 30lb the Heckler is a fantastic ride for climbing and AM style riding,
    post us some pics when your done building

Underweight Rider
    Havent tried the x9 front D but any shimano deore/lx/slx/xt/xtr front D will work nicely. Some XTR users swear they shifts faster and smoother
    You might want to try the new shimano slx cassette(HG80). I was goin to get the sram pg980 but they were the same weight and the slx was cheaper and works well with the slx chain too(HG73)
    I find the juicy7 a bit grabby at times but thats prolly because the unit i tested wasnt tune properly but they are proven performers. I am lighter than you and i wouldnt use anything smaller than a 185mm in front for aggro XC/AM riding.
    My current rig setuped with a fox Vanilla 36 RC3 fork but havent got the chance to weight my bike yet but i reckon its in the 33lbs range with my SLX/Sram X9 gear train. BTW i'm using the SLX 3 chain ring crank and a MID cage Sram X9 rear D.