Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Re XT deraileurs, I to have never broken one but i did end up twisting two of the 06~07 models. As I was getting a bit over shelling out for for a mundane bike part I went a LX. A few years,a few stick attacks and a few bikes latter Im still using this LX deraileur on my BLT2. Im not sure but maybe the old LX resists being twisted out of wack due to the steel rear plate in the parallelogram.

The absolute durability winner of any deraileur I have ever owned is an 1996 short cage XTR. This deraileur has been on so many bikes and it was only 9 speed that put it out of action only to be dragged back from retirement when I learned how crap 9 speed was (in the early days). It now recides on my renovators delight, a 99 GT STS theroplastic carbon fibor wunder bike. The STS is ... another story...
    I can vouch for an XTR M950. (the flat grey looking one) 8spd, using it for over 10 years. I currently have it on my Chameleon which I purposely setup 8 speed. Shifts sooo much better than 9 speed. Just set it and forget it...

Funny you should bring up the STS... I snapped the headtube clean off mine about 1 year after I got it...
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Don't wanna be an @ss, there's a plenty of good talk/info here, but the BLT2 pic thread started pretty much this way... lot of words, not as many pics...

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Don't wanna be an @ss, there's a plenty of good talk/info here, but the BLT2 pic thread started pretty much this way... lot of words, not as many pics...
    I think most of us are hanging out in here waiting for our bikes to get shipped. At least that's my situation. I got no pics to post.....yet.

-Simon

mtbr member
    Sorry mate

and sorry for no Nomad in action photos but Im out of action due to an incompatibly issue regarding the interface between my shoulder and hard ground which occurred last Sunday on my BLT2. Result, two torn ligaments in my shoulder and no riding for six weeks .

Hopefully this nice pic of my latest understated-bling will help make up for my ramblings...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    I think most of us are hanging out in here waiting for our bikes to get shipped. At least that's my situation. I got no pics to post.....yet.

-Simon
    I got my new Nomad about a month ago, but live in New England. So with the single digit temps and the onslaught of snow we've had over the last month and half now, I haven't been too motivated to it get built just yet. But I've got 98% of the parts now and temps are suppose to drop into the 40's this weekend, so I might be able to get it built up and photo'd soon. I really do hate winter...

Busted!!!
    A couple pics of mine on the trail. Pretty rushed, but its something. Ive put over 60 miles and almost 10k on this bike in 3 rides and it just keeps getting faster. I love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i love this bike! and red is a great color! don΄t know why all the guys buy white ones.....
    can΄t wait til i get mine

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    I did! Actually I got it and a case of the stomache flu as well. bad enough I didnt even touch the frame till this morning. Here is a quick shot in the mess tonite. Ill take it for a spin tomorrow then hopefully really beat on it on Sunday.

29.5 pounds. XL Nomad Frame was 7lb 6 oz. Thats 0.5 lb heavier than the XL Anno BLT2 Frame.

I gained .5 lb in the frame and .5 in a 2 step Lyrik, then a 3 oz in a headset and stem for the 1.5 fork.

I like the look of that classic steel surly singlespeed in the back. That also looks like a fun bike!

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricone
    I like the look of that classic steel surly singlespeed in the back. That also looks like a fun bike!
    thats my "spare parts bike" I bought the frame/fork off ebay for a steal, and then got a seatpost and stem and some SS chainrings/cogs. It handles really well and is a complete change from the Nomad or blur. This weekend will be my first SS race, should be interesting. I use it for training and cylocrosss stuff mostly, but its a pretty sweet commuter as well. Im even ditching the camel back for the race, since I have a biek wit hwater bottle cages I might as well use it! It will be sporting a frame pack for the nostalgiac look as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveDH
    i love this bike! and red is a great color! don΄t know why all the guys buy white ones.....
    can΄t wait til i get mine
    In my case it was "white" or wait. It was nearly five months from when I put down my deposit till when I got my bike so I was so, so over waiting. I wanted a red one but the SC importer nabbed that one as his personal bike.

mtbr member

My 09 Nomad

IMG_1456.JPG
    Hi all
    New To MTBR This is me on my new Nomad on the Negro canyon single track above Donner lake in Dec. Its my first mtb, I really love it! Have some parts on order to "make it my own" The pictures don't do the red justice.
    Look forward to a lot of riding this year, been to Auburn and Chico ( upper bidwell ) so far this winter.
    See ya on the trail
    Cheers

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog13
    Hi all
    New To MTBR This is me on my new Nomad on the Negro canyon single track above Donner lake in Dec. Its my first mtb, I really love it! Have some parts on order to "make it my own" The pictures don't do the red justice.
    Look forward to a lot of riding this year, been to Auburn and Chico ( upper bidwell ) so far this winter.
    See ya on the trail
    Cheers
    Hi Underdog, sweet looking bike. When did you order it?? Mines still "coming" ha ha!! What are the specs?? What are you planning to change or replace on the ride?? Welcome to Mtbr and SC!! You should have a blast on that machine!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Thanks Red PeeKay
    Glad to be here. I got my bike through a friend of a friend so I never really ordered it. I had the money put aside and was looking for a bike and was told one day that there was a red
    09 nomad available.
    Frame is a medium
    lyric 2 step fork
    fox dhx air shock
    sram xo shifters and r/d shimano f/d
    truvative noir cranks
    dt swiss wheel set
    bike came built this way. I don't have anything to compare it to but I have been told its a great bike! I come from a bmx background so just getting used to it. I am going to put a longer stem on it for a bit more room it came with a 60mm syncros so going up to 80mm
    putting a blue hope seat post clamp on it, some new tires and going to a 185mm rear disc as well.
    I am also a big fan of Chris King stuff( all my bmx bike have King stuff on them ) so I will be putting on a 1.5 blue headset and building a wheel set with blue king hubs. I am really used to the ring drive feel of the Kings. I might also play around with the bars at some point. I know I could leave it alone and be fine but bikes are my hobby and I love making it custom.
    Really like the Hammerschmidt but I think the verdict is still out on that for the nomad right now.
    Thanks again
    Cheers

mtbr member
    A couple pics of mine on the trail. Pretty rushed, but its something. Ive put over 60 miles and almost 10k on this bike in 3 rides and it just keeps getting faster. I love it.
    MXRacer, is that rear RWS a TB? If so, how did you manage to fit it in the ST hub?

Busted!!!
    MXRacer, is that rear RWS a TB? If so, how did you manage to fit it in the ST hub?
    Its just a RWS skewer. Not the big hefty bolt on. It is a notable improvement over a QR though.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog13
    Thanks Red PeeKay
    Glad to be here. I got my bike through a friend of a friend so I never really ordered it. I had the money put aside and was looking for a bike and was told one day that there was a red
    09 nomad available.
    Frame is a medium
    lyric 2 step fork
    fox dhx air shock
    sram xo shifters and r/d shimano f/d
    truvative noir cranks
    dt swiss wheel set
    bike came built this way. I don't have anything to compare it to but I have been told its a great bike! I come from a bmx background so just getting used to it. I am going to put a longer stem on it for a bit more room it came with a 60mm syncros so going up to 80mm
    putting a blue hope seat post clamp on it, some new tires and going to a 185mm rear disc as well.
    I am also a big fan of Chris King stuff( all my bmx bike have King stuff on them ) so I will be putting on a 1.5 blue headset and building a wheel set with blue king hubs. I am really used to the ring drive feel of the Kings. I might also play around with the bars at some point. I know I could leave it alone and be fine but bikes are my hobby and I love making it custom.
    Really like the Hammerschmidt but I think the verdict is still out on that for the nomad right now.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    Nice Friend!! That's some really nice gear on your bike!! Like you I've upgraded the headset to a silver CK, upped the brakes to 203mm. Totem air on the front and coil on the back, mavic crossmax sx wheel set. Will drop down to a double ring + bash. Undecided on the seat post clamp, I've been reading some ordinary things about the SC clamp that comes with the bike, however will wait till the bike arrives. Like you I'm still umming and ahhing about the hammerschmidt, particularly at what they want for it. Will let time be the ultimate judge on that. Happy riding mate!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Anyone ride both the Nomad MK1 and the Nomad Mk2?...I know there were some changes made, but with the same components is there any practical difference in the ride?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb
    Anyone ride both the Nomad MK1 and the Nomad Mk2?...I know there were some changes made, but with the same components is there any practical difference in the ride?

Comparing a 2007 to a 2009, The 2009 remains more active throughout the stroke, and pedals better standing or sitting. It is hard to know why the differences occur, due to 2 completely different shocks on the bike. A DHX Air on the 07 and a Monarch on the 09.

The 2009 has a 1* slacker headtube than my 07, at 66*, but it turns alot better than the 07. I dont notice any brake jack, and the braking traction has improved with the new VPP design, this is one of the most noticable changes (on a LT2 or 09 Nomad).

Again the 2009 feels more nimble than the 2007, yet descends with alot more confidence. On very rough terrain at about 28 mph the 2007 would start to get pretty nervous, but the 2009 seems to track a bit better in the high speed, allowing you to go faster. Testing on the same trails resulted in higher speds with alot less effort.

nerfherder
    Thanks for this feedback on the comparison between the current and previous model. I've been looking for this kind of information. If anyone else has more to add I'd love to hear it!

Comparing a 2007 to a 2009, The 2009 remains more active throughout the stroke, and pedals better standing or sitting. It is hard to know why the differences occur, due to 2 completely different shocks on the bike. A DHX Air on the 07 and a Monarch on the 09.

The 2009 has a 1* slacker headtube than my 07, at 66*, but it turns alot better than the 07. I dont notice any brake jack, and the braking traction has improved with the new VPP design, this is one of the most noticable changes (on a LT2 or 09 Nomad).

Again the 2009 feels more nimble than the 2007, yet descends with alot more confidence. On very rough terrain at about 28 mph the 2007 would start to get pretty nervous, but the 2009 seems to track a bit better in the high speed, allowing you to go faster. Testing on the same trails resulted in higher speds with alot less effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Thanks for this feedback on the comparison between the current and previous model. I've been looking for this kind of information. If anyone else has more to add I'd love to hear it!

I would love to see some more detailed comparo's as well. I am thinking of trading my 08' frame for an 09' mainly for the longer top tube and better pedalability. Im not sure I understand the diffrent headangle though. I thought they did not change that? They are both listed at 67?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

here is another one in white....

hey there, i built one up in white, my favorite color and i am rally happy with it.
    i am rally impressed with the float 36, really amazing fork!
    here are the specs:
    Frame – Santa Cruz Nomad 2 (09) L
    Rear shock – Monarch 3.3
    Front shock/fork – Fox 26 FLOAT RC2 09 1.5”
    Handlebars – FSA Gravity Pro 710mm
    Stem - thomson elite x4 onepointfive
    Headset – Cane Creek Double X 1.5
    Grips - Sunline Logo Thick, with endcaps
    Saddle – WTB Pure V Pro
    Seatpost – Nuke Proof Warhead
    Front brake – Avid elixir 203mm
    Rear brake – Avid elixir 185mm
    Cranks – Shimano SLX M665
    Chainguide – will be a e13 some time soon
    Chain – SRAM PG971
    Pedals – Wellgo MG-1
    Front derailleur – SRAM X9
    Rear derailleur – SRAM X9 medium cage
    Front shifter – SRAM X9
    Rear shifter – SRAM X9
    Cassette – Shimano XT M770 11-34
    Front hub – DT Swiss 340
    Rear hub – DT Swiss 340 with xlite QR
    Front rim – Spank Subrosa
    Rear rim – Spank Subrosa
    Spokes – DT Swiss Competition
    Nipples - hard
    Tyres – for now Conti Mountain King 2.4(more 2.25), for the rough stuff prob. Big bettys or rubber queens
    Tubes – Michelin Aircomp ultralight 2.1
    Total weight – beween 13.5 and 14kg

pics with higher res on:
    http://stereoscope.smugmug.com

enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hellow jurgs, how tall are you ? do u find the x4 stem a thad too short ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bad photo, but so far I`m loving the bike!

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by jurgs
    hey there, i built one up in white, my favorite color and i am rally happy with it.
    i am rally impressed with the float 36, really amazing fork!
    here are the specs:.......

Spokes – DT Swiss Competition
    Nipples - hard
    Tyres – for now Conti Mountain King 2.4(more 2.25), for the rough stuff prob. Big bettys or
    Funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Funny.
    Think I might go out and grease up my nipples ...

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast