Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1272
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Thanks! Loving the VPP2... It feels alot snappier and pedals better. My friend had a poorly setup version I was able to compare side x side when I had my 08 which is why I liked my 08 so much better...The coil shock brought it to life for me! On my 08 I ran a 500lb spring and tried it on this frame and wasnt fully pleased so I dropped to a 450 and its much better! Im still debating on the Push link? I think I solved it with a softer spring. If I go with the Push im sure I will need to go back to the 500lb?
    I don't think you would have to go back. There's a lot of ramp up in the push link.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Im kinda tapped on funds with all the upgrades and Christmas! Would you think it would be a smart move to sell the Ti-coil to fund the link? I will be gaining back a bit of weight as the Push link is a bit heavier as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Im kinda tapped on funds with all the upgrades and Christmas! Would you think it would be a smart move to sell the Ti-coil to fund the link? I will be gaining back a bit of weight as the Push link is a bit heavier as well!
    I guess you'll just have to ebay something.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    That's what I'm sayin! Ti-coil for the link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    looks great socalMX!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone! Got a much needed medium cage rear deraileur coming for the 2x! Still thinking carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Im new. This is my first post of my bike.

* Frame Size & Color: medium black nomad
    * Fork: talas 36 160 rc2
    * Brakes: avid juicy 7
    * Cranks: e13 ss
    * Front Derailleur: mrp lopes sl guide w/ renthal 34t ring
    * Rear Derailleur: sram x9 10spd
    * Pedals:azonic 420
    * Stem: easton haven 50
    * Handlebar: easton haven carbon
    * Seatpost:maverick dropper
    * Saddle: wtb pure v
    * Bottom Bracket: e13
    * Cassette: pg1070
    * Headset: cane creek 110
    * Grips: oury lock on
    * Front Tire: wtb bronson tcs 2.3
    * Front Rim: easton haven alloy
    * Front Hub/Skewer: easton
    * Rear Tire: wtb bronson 2.3 tcs
    * Rear Rim: easton haven alloy
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: easton
    * Weight 29.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see those new Nomad Mk2's-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Derelikt; 01-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Finally got my Nomad! Still some lock-on grips and new cranks to come but USPS is taking their sweet time. Pedals will switch to flats as well as soon as I decide which I want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got mine last night! Of course, my post-count is too low for me to post pics, but I'm psyched to finally have a real (ie made in this millennium) mountain bike.

It's replacing my 20+ year-old Nashbar 4000x, which apparently is just a rebranded Nishiki elevated-chainstay bike. It's still running, but the drivetrain is too tired for trail riding. This pretty new matte-black Nomad (R-AM build kit) is a great replacement.

Since I just have the Lyrik R, and since Rock Shox and Fox are both renown for under-lubing their forks, I figure a quick lube check would be a great time to upgrade the damper.

My big question is, do I have to replace the rebound damper along with the compression if I want to go to the RC2 DH?

Also, the parts catalog only lists lowers for the RC2L and RCDH - do I need to change out the lowers to upgrade to the RC2 DH spec? The uppers are the same across the board (depending on spring technology,) but I want to make sure. It looks like I can get the RC2 DH compression damper for about $150, which is one incredible price for such a nice upgrade. I'm quite handy, I just want to make sure I get the right parts.

Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I did the same to mine-- had the parts ordered even before I was done building the bike. Yes, you need both the rebound and compression dampers. Super easy install. I also pulled the travel spacer out while I was in there to make it 170mm rather than 160. LOVE the fork. Much more coil-like feel than the TALAS. Just make sure you use the oil measurements for the RC2DH rather than just the lyrik R after your done!

mtbr member
    Welcome to this forum mitsu! Seen your bike on Pinkbike, NICE! You should ride the crap out of the R for a few months to get a real feel of the upgrade!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    SLONate - glad to hear it's that straightforward. Thanks for the assurance. Bummer that I've go to drop an extra $100 on the rebound damper, but no biggie.

socalMX - normally I'd agree 100%, but I don't have the luxury of having a dedicated bike for each discipline, so this has to do everything. I need a better pedaling platform for more generic xc riding (I knew that going in,) so a compression damper upgrade is a necessity. And from what I understand, the RC2DH is much smoother than the RC2L, and I should be able to get a decent pedaling platform from the low-speed compression circuit.

Regardless, I'm unlikely to be riding to any real degree for a good 2 months here, so I've got plenty of time to do the upgrade! :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For folks in this SC forum....

Spec as follow;
    Santa Cruz Nomad Lime Green Powercoated M size 2012
    Fox DHX RC4 Kashima
    Fox 36 Van 160 Fit RC2 Kashima

cockpit
    handlebars - RaceFace Sixc Carbon Handlebar 2011 730mm
    stem - RaceFace Diabolus D2 Stem - Limited Edition 2012 50mm/0 degree
    grips - RaceFace Grips Diabolus Grips With Locks Brown
    brakes - Hope M4 Special Edition 203mm F&R
    seatpost - Thomson Elite InLine Seatpost 30.9mm 410mm BLACK
    seat - WTB Saddles Silverado Lopes LE 55 Saddle 2011 Black - Ti Rails
    pedals - Time Pedals Clipless - MTB Z Freeride Pedals Black

wheels
    front hub - Chris King 20mm Mango
    rear hub - Chris King Funn bolt upgraded Mango
    rims - ZTR Flow Mango
    spokes - Wheelsmith

front tire - Maxxis Highroller 2.35 UST
    rear tire - Maxxis Ardent 2.25 UST

gears
    shifters - XTR 9 Speed
    front der - Shimano SLX Front Mech Top Swing 9sp M665 34.9mm -Dual Pull -36-22T
    rear der - Shimano Saint Rear Mech 9sp M810 Mid Cage
    cranks - Shimano Saint Chainset Double M810-2
    bash- Saint
    cassette - Shimano XT Cassette 9 Speed M770

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oh.
    My.
    WOW!

I just had a quick play around my parking lot tonight because I couldn't stand waiting. 30psi in the tires, 70psi in the fork, 170psi in the shock. I weigh around 180 ready-to-ride.

There wasn't much terrain to play on, but there is a small, funky little staircase separating the two parking lots, and I think I went down it at least 5 times. The first time was REALLY slow and tentative, but by the last time I was just cruising up to it and dropping. I used all but about 2" of rear travel and 2.5" in the front. I tried going up the stairs, but I just didn't have the technique for unloading the front wheel correct. This is my first full-suspension, and the amount you've got to finesse to get the wheels off the ground is new on me. I was able to pop up on some 8+" curbs, but it felt REALLY awkward getting the front end up. I suspect I'll need a ton of practice before I'm scooting UP stairs.

I also got to ride over some small roots in some grass and really didn't even notice it. I suspect a little more air (at least in the shock) is probably a good idea. The ProPedal on the RP23 was really impressive, too. I can see this thing being just completely unstoppable on a trail ride!

Either way, it was a total blast to ride. I did crank it up good and fast and tested the brakes, and I managed to lock (separately) the rear then the front, so clearly power isn't an issue, even with the Elixr 5's.

And back to what socalMX said, I REALLY wish the weather were conducive to finding a real trail and hammering, because I wonder how much the fork bob would bother me on a real ride. Just bumming around the yard I didn't really pay attention. It does soak up a little power, but it's not like it's a road bike, so it didn't feel objectionable.

Love it! I'm Ecstatic I was able to get into a ride like this!

Edit to add -

Sick build Alex31! And a heck of a job finding all those orange-gold-mango bits - how did you find colored Flows?

mtbr member

My GF is a new-ish MTBer so we spent the afternoon Sunday at Hartland MTB Park just working on a few trails until she was cleaning most of the tech sections...

Dirt Girl… « The Lazy Rando Blog…

I'm not a great rider, but I've been at it for decades so it's easy to forget how much there is to learn about riding dirt. I'm trying to give her enough challenge to progress, but not so much that it seems overwhelming.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    When did the color anodized Flow rims come out? I just made up a black flow black spoke with black King hub wheelset for my bike but dammit those colors are cool!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

Ano FLOW

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    When did the color anodized Flow rims come out? I just made up a black flow black spoke with black King hub wheelset for my bike but dammit those colors are cool!
    I got mine last Summer from PROJECT 321 ..... Yikes, looks like the price went up.

Laced them to some red Hadley hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scfreak View Post
    Oh for a moment there I thought it was a Santa Cruz locked up out side! Dude! It's not a Kona!!!! Put that thing next to your bed!! Realy?
    Not a KONA?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsu13gman View Post
    Oh.
    Sick build Alex31! And a heck of a job finding all those orange-gold-mango bits - how did you find colored Flows?
    Hi Mate,

Thanks for the comments...ztr distro bring it in and I was the last 2 person who got it...cost $210 (SGD) for the rim and well worth it...

They have the green ones as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

My GF is a new-ish MTBer so we spent the afternoon Sunday at Hartland MTB Park just working on a few trails until she was cleaning most of the tech sections...

Dirt Girl… « The Lazy Rando Blog…

I'm not a great rider, but I've been at it for decades so it's easy to forget how much there is to learn about riding dirt. I'm trying to give her enough challenge to progress, but not so much that it seems overwhelming.
    Oh great...now the new trend is to clear mangled car instead of rock garden...

Nice...

Och aye the noo
    You're only really trying hard if you stick your tongue out when riding. FACT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jockhaggis View Post
    You're only really trying hard if you stick your tongue out when riding. FACT!
    Word...

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Just curious if anyone around 5'10" is riding a small nomad? I'm wondering if a person who is coming from a bmx background, 26" DJ and a small dh, could be comfortable on a small nomad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyrides07 View Post
    Just curious if anyone around 5'10" is riding a small nomad? I'm wondering if a person who is coming from a bmx background, 26" DJ and a small dh, could be comfortable on a small nomad?
    I'm 5'11" and riding an XL Nomad. I flipped the stem and removed all the spacers I could...now I'm going to buy a 1cm longer stem.

Any chance you can sit on a couple sizes of Nomads to get a feel for the cockpit dimensions?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm 5'11" and riding an XL Nomad. I flipped the stem and removed all the spacers I could...now I'm going to buy a 1cm longer stem.

Any chance you can sit on a couple sizes of Nomads to get a feel for the cockpit dimensions?
    I wish I could but I live in Alaska ... the nearest (and only)SC dealer doesn't stock them

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast