Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Joplin condom?

mtbr member
    I like the nude look. The "Joplin condom" probably isnt a bad idea. My Maverick version gets stick fairly frequently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks aardvark. The Joplin condom is just a road tube and some tie wraps... it has worked well for all of last season. The only drawback is the vaccuum effect when you slam the post. Probably wouldn't work well for the remote versions where you have to let it spring back unassisted.

Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    I like the nude look. The "Joplin condom" probably isnt a bad idea. My Maverick version gets stick fairly frequently.
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    Thanks aardvark. The Joplin condom is just a road tube and some tie wraps... it has worked well for all of last season. The only drawback is the vaccuum effect when you slam the post. Probably wouldn't work well for the remote versions where you have to let it spring back unassisted.
    yeah. I run a remote. I have some old Lizard skins for forks lying around so I will give it a go. Re. "nude" look, how much does the paint weigh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I forgot to weigh it before the strip! :-/

Would have liked to have known...

yeah. I run a remote. I have some old Lizard skins for forks lying around so I will give it a go. Re. "nude" look, how much does the paint weigh?
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    I forgot to weigh it before the strip! :-/

Would have liked to have known...
    Couldn't be that much, not "lead" based paints anymore!! LOL
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

PS: My buddy got a small and is also doing the 'nude' look. He's spent lots of time polishing it up to get rid of any minutia. Mine has little scratches from the stock tubing if you look at it really closely. He wet sanded it down and went through a more exhaustive polishing process. It looks exactly like the previous gen polished ones! I'll post some pics once he gets it together.
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Busted!!!
    OUT FOR DELIVERY!
    :giddy:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Out of interest does anyone know what size frame Kirt Vories rides, he is 6" so I would be thinking he would ride a Medium or a Large, does anyone know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    Out of interest does anyone know what size frame Kirt Vories rides, he is 6" so I would be thinking he would ride a Medium or a Large, does anyone know?
    WOW, a 6 inch tall professional bicycle racer? I've never heard of that!!! I would imagine Kirt to be 6 feet at least.
    "It looks flexy"

Ride Good or Eat Wood

XXXS ????? Munchkin size!!
    "

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Funny, I just watched NWD9 and seeing him shred on his Nomad was unbelievable. a 360 over a gap jump? WTF

I would have to say he would ride a medium just for the flickability and his riding style. I just jumped from Medium ('06 Nomad) to Large ('09 Nomad) and I'm 6' with a 'normal' leg to torso ratio.

It fits pretty good; it has a 1" longer TT and 1" longer wheelbase. Plus all the angle changes from '06 to '09. Looking forward hitting the trail...
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    one more shot taken with my nicer camera

Attachment 427902
    Hi Phil what bash gaurd is that you have on your xtr cranks, Saint?

Im having a hard time trying to find one on the sites and supplier.

Elliott.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott_MBR
    Hi Phil what bash gaurd is that you have on your xtr cranks, Saint?

Im having a hard time trying to find one on the sites and supplier.

Elliott.
    Elliott,

It's a Saint, previous gen, not the new '09 one. A little bit of dremeling required to get it behind the XTR crank arm, but it's a light (and cheap) solution. Plus it looks pretty sweet too.

phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Kirt rocks a Large Nomad

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    OUT FOR DELIVERY!
    :giddy:

Did you get it?

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    I just jumped from Medium ('06 Nomad) to Large ('09 Nomad) and I'm 6' with a 'normal' leg to torso ratio.

It fits pretty good; it has a 1" longer TT and 1" longer wheelbase. Plus all the angle changes from '06 to '09. Looking forward hitting the trail...
    How do you find the handling, ride etc when comparing the two there Phil?? Interested to hear your feedback. I'm 6'2" with probably longer arms and legs, but have a large on order.
    "

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Kirt rocks a Large Nomad
    Yeah, but Kirt's in a way different league to me!!
    "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Yeah, but Kirt's in a way different league to me!!
    Kirt's an entirely different species to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Can't really say too much yet because I haven't even got it out on the trails!

But it definitely feels different than my '06 Nomad. The '06 was very nimble and agile underneath me. The 1" longer wheelbase on the large is really noticeable, as is the steeper seat angle. We have a set of stairs in the LBS we ride down, and it definitely felt different than my old one. Felt more 'forward' on the bike.

Mind you, on my '06, I had the saddle all the way back on the rails with a setback post. With the new setup, my saddle is mid way on the rails. Plumb line test was perfect, so it should make for a much more efficient machine. With the previous setup I was more of a pedal masher.

With the 90mm stem it definitely feels more stretched out than the previous one, but I guess I'll only really know when I hit the trail. I say worst case scenario I may go down to a 70mm.

At 6'2, providing you're pretty even lower to upper body, you should be fine with a large if you prefer a medium to tight cockpit rather than stretched out...

Will give a more detailed update once I get out on it!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    How do you find the handling, ride etc when comparing the two there Phil?? Interested to hear your feedback. I'm 6'2" with probably longer arms and legs, but have a large on order.
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Did you get it?
    I did! Actually I got it and a case of the stomache flu as well. bad enough I didnt even touch the frame till this morning. Here is a quick shot in the mess tonite. Ill take it for a spin tomorrow then hopefully really beat on it on Sunday.

29.5 pounds. XL Nomad Frame was 7lb 6 oz. Thats 0.5 lb heavier than the XL Anno BLT2 Frame.

I gained .5 lb in the frame and .5 in a 2 step Lyrik, then a 3 oz in a headset and stem for the 1.5 fork.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    I did! Actually I got it and a case of the stomache flu as well. bad enough I didnt even touch the frame till this morning. Here is a quick shot in the mess tonite. Ill take it for a spin tomorrow then hopefully really beat on it on Sunday.

29.5 pounds. XL Nomad Frame was 7lb 6 oz. Thats 0.5 lb heavier than the XL Anno BLT2 Frame.

I gained .5 lb in the frame and .5 in a 2 step Lyrik, then a 3 oz in a headset and stem for the 1.5 fork.
    Mate, its under 30lbs, so that's not too shabby at all!! Great colour! Hope you dust the bug!
    "

Busted!!!
    First Ride Impressions:

This bike is Great. It pedals as good as the LT2 on the flats, and even seems to roll better, mostly due to it eating all the little chatter you feel on the blur.

The Monarch is great. It is super plush fully open, pedals very well on Mid and standing climbs on Full only netted 1/4" of bob on a 1 mile rough fireroad climb.

It doesnt quite turn as well as the LT2. My measured Headtube angle was 66* vs the LT2 @ 68* (with 160mm lyrik). Hopefully a shorter headset will get me back to 67* and quicken it up just a hair. One note, the new generation still turns better than the 07 at 67*. It is more stable and alot smoother, braking traction is greatly improved, even with nearly worn out Nevegals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree with you on the rear deraileurs

I will be running a 180mm Domain for a week or two due to my 36 Van's damping cartridge going south ( possibly on holiday at Bondi beech). Its not a very good fork but Im keen to see how the Nomad goes with a 66 degree head angle.

Just a thought re. derailers, I think XO and XTR derailers are kind of overrated. I must admit that springing for my Mavic SX wheelset is the best investment I have made in a while. Sub 2kg super stiff/strong wheelset .

A XO derailer which costs twice as much as an X9, saves a mere 20 gram and can be ripped off by a common stick leaves me feeling kinda flat . . .
    The only XTR deraileur I ever purchased lasted about two weeks. I did a little bunny hop over a root and landed on a stick throwing it into the chain and deraileur and the deraileur went into many pieces all over the trail. Pure expensive crap. I've had many XT deraileurs over the years and never had one break.
    Last edited by 67degrees; 02-04-2009 at 05:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    The only XTR deraileur I ever purchased lasted about two weeks. I did a little bunny hop over a root and I landed on a stick throwing it into the chain and deraieur and the deraileur went into many pieces all over the trail. Pure expensiver crap. I've hand many XT deraileurs over the years and never had one break.
    Re XT deraileurs, I to have never broken one but i did end up twisting two of the 06~07 models. As I was getting a bit over shelling out for for a mundane bike part I went a LX. A few years,a few stick attacks and a few bikes latter Im still using this LX deraileur on my BLT2. Im not sure but maybe the old LX resists being twisted out of wack due to the steel rear plate in the parallelogram.

The absolute durability winner of any deraileur I have ever owned is an 1996 short cage XTR. This deraileur has been on so many bikes and it was only 9 speed that put it out of action only to be dragged back from retirement when I learned how crap 9 speed was (in the early days). It now recides on my renovators delight, a 99 GT STS theroplastic carbon fibor wunder bike. The STS is ... another story...

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast