Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Nomad 09

Heres my new toy, got her built up over xmas and only got chance to ride her once, but boy does she ride sweet! I'm really happy, can't belive how easy she flys thru the air...really well balanced, just takes off so well. But then compared to my 06 575 anything is easier to get a bunny hop out of!
    weight 30.6lbs, should shave a bit more off when i change the rear Minion for an Advantage...
    Plan to use for heavy duty trail riding and pedaling back up for more runs...maybe some uplift days too, if it performs as well as im expecting i might be selling the Morewood Izumu soon....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For Sale- Blur XCc'11+fox 120
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black
    AMl- Nomad C Green '13+36's

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    White was because I couldn't get ano slate. Out of the available powder coats red would of been my first choose but the importer nabbed that one for himself. So white it is.

What build will you be running???
    Am basing my build around the X9 1.5 All mountain kit with the following mods:
    totem solo air shock
    fox dhx 5 coil
    mavic crossmax dx rims
    22-32 with bash ring
    and probably x.o front and rear der (with the med cage)

The rest I will negotiate with my tech (also just found out the ano won't be avail till april at best, so going the white as have to be back in Oz by early April)
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Am basing my build around the X9 1.5 All mountain kit with the following mods:
    totem solo air shock
    fox dhx 5 coil
    mavic crossmax dx rims
    22-32 with bash ring
    and probably x.o front and rear der (with the med cage)

The rest I will negotiate with my tech (also just found out the ano won't be avail till april at best, so going the white as have to be back in Oz by early April)
    I will be running a 180mm Domain for a week or two due to my 36 Van's damping cartridge going south ( possibly on holiday at Bondi beech). Its not a very good fork but Im keen to see how the Nomad goes with a 66 degree head angle.

Just a thought re. derailers, I think XO and XTR derailers are kind of overrated. I must admit that springing for my Mavic SX wheelset is the best investment I have made in a while. Sub 2kg super stiff/strong wheelset .

A XO derailer which costs twice as much as an X9, saves a mere 20 gram and can be ripped off by a common stick leaves me feeling kinda flat . . .

Busted!!!
    Build up a buddies Nomad last night. Illl try to get some pics, I forgot all about that.

Large red Frame
    08 Fox 36 Float R
    DHX5 Coil w/450# spring
    XTR 970 Cranks
    XTR 970 Shifters
    XTR 970 Front Derailleur
    XTR 970 Shadow Rear
    XTR 970 11-34 cassette
    Jagwire Cables & housing
    Mavic XL wheels
    Juicy Carbon Brakes - 185/160
    Selle Italia Flite Saddle
    Race face Next SL Seatpost
    Race Face Next Bars
    Titec Pluto 90mm Stem
    Cane Creek Double Xc Flush Headset (1.5-1 1/8)
    XTR 970 Pedals

29lb 8 oz

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    I will be running a 180mm Domain for a week or two due to my 36 Van's damping cartridge going south ( possibly on holiday at Bondi beech). Its not a very good fork but Im keen to see how the Nomad goes with a 66 degree head angle.

Just a thought re. derailers, I think XO and XTR derailers are kind of overrated. I must admit that springing for my Mavic SX wheelset is the best investment I have made in a while. Sub 2kg super stiff/strong wheelset .

A XO derailer which costs twice as much as an X9, saves a mere 20 gram and can be ripped off by a common stick leaves me feeling kinda flat . . .
    I'm still weighing up my options re: the derailleur, will probably stick to the x9. Also forgot to mention am upping the brakes to 208mm rotors.

Was the Van new?? Hope its a warranty job then!! How was the bike riding??
    "

Ride Good or Eat Wood

Money Down!

Just laid down some hard earned readies on a white pc '09 Nomad . Delivery time eta 2 weeks. Specs (some items still subject to negotiation):
    Fork/Travel Totem Solo Air 1.5 180mm
    Rear Shock / Travel Fox DHX 5 Coil 160mm
    Brakes Avid Elixir CR Carbon (208mm rotors)
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    Cranks Shimano SLX with bash ring
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X9
    Wheel Set Mavic Crossmax SX
    Handlebar Easton EA70 Low, 31.8
    Chain SRAM PC 991
    Bottom Bracket Shimano SLX
    Saddle WTB Pure V
    Seat Post Thomson
    Shifters SRAM X9 Trigger
    Stem Syncros 1.5"
    Headset Cane Creek Double X 1.5
    Freewheel / Cassette SRAM PG 980 11-34
    Grips Lizard Skins Peaty grip Lock On
    "

mtbr member
    I'm still weighing up my options re: the derailleur, will probably stick to the x9. Also forgot to mention am upping the brakes to 208mm rotors.

Was the Van new?? Hope its a warranty job then!! How was the bike riding??
    Before the 36 went bung I was pretty impressed with my sexy beast's single track ability. If there is room to lay it down in the corners my Nomad railed like a moto. Mid ride the fork started loosing rebound and compression damping and my bike started steering like a drunken gazelle (hyperactive and erratic).

The forks not new but the cartridge is. I upgraded from a "R" cartridge to a "RC2" about 4 months ago.

Re brakes, i will be very interested to here how your XTR brakes go on those big rotors. I have ridden 07 XTR brakes on 180 rotors and they had infinite modulation but no bite. But I weigh 105kg so Im pretty good at cooking brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Another Nomad for the collection-
    Santa Cruz Nomad '09 medium + Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    Fox 36 Talas RC2
    Cranks stylo
    Front Derraileur Desviador frente Shimano XT
    Rear Derraileur SRAM X.9
    Shifters Sram X.9
    Brakes Magura Louise
    Saddle Terry Fly Ti
    Seatpost Gravity Dpopper Turbo
    Cassette Shimano XT
    Headset FSA Orbit MX Pro
    Chain Shimano XT
    Handlbar Chromag Fubar 30"
    Stem Thomson 50mm
    Wheels Mavic CrossMax SX and Chris king/ Stan's Flow
    Tires Maxxis Advantage 2.4
    Pedals kona
    Grips odi
    Weight 32.5 lbs w/pedals with heavy wheels

mtbr member

My sexy beast showing off some long legs . . .

Heres some pix of my sexy beast with a180mm travel RS Domain fork. Unfortunately my 36 Vans are awaiting repair but luckily I had the Domains lying around.

The longer fork makes climbing a bit of a chore but descending on bermed trails was big fun. On choppy trails the Domains are no match for my Vans or the Nomads rear suspension for that matter.

When is Fox going to make a 180 travel Talas fork??? I will be first in line . . .
    Last edited by other aardvark; 01-18-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Busted!!!
    Other aardvark, is that a large or XL frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Other aardvark, is that a large or XL frame?
    [SIZE="7"]LARGE[/SIZE]

Busted!!!
    Damn I really want to see an [SIZE="9"]X-LARGE[/SIZE]. Hopefully Mine comes in this week!

mtbr member
    Damn I really want to see an [SIZE="9"]X-LARGE[/SIZE]. Hopefully Mine comes in this week!
    It seems a bit of a shame that you are selling your BLT

Busted!!!
    Yes it is, but Im just to tall for it. On steep climbs my Center of gravity ends up behind the rear wheel, severely limiting climbing efficiency. Once it was all calc'ed out it was pretty obvious. My old nomad was really teetering on the line as well, and I never knew how close it was, the new Nomad is slightly better, on paper, we shall see. Otherwise Ill be hunting down another XL 06-07 Frame.

mtbr member
    Yes it is, but Im just to tall for it. On steep climbs my Center of gravity ends up behind the rear wheel, severely limiting climbing efficiency. Once it was all calc'ed out it was pretty obvious. My old nomad was really teetering on the line as well, and I never knew how close it was, the new Nomad is slightly better, on paper, we shall see. Otherwise Ill be hunting down another XL 06-07 Frame.
    How tall are you????!!! Hopefully the slightly longer top tube of the new Nomad will work for you.

Busted!!!
    How tall are you????!!! Hopefully the slightly longer top tube of the new Nomad will work for you.
    Im 6'7". The top tube and the longer chainstays should support it better. Hopefully Ill find out soon.

mtbr member
    for you guys on med frames, how tall are you?

the new Nomad sizing is weird to me...I typically like 23" TT's but I recall trying a large 08 and it felt good.

wonder if I would fit on a med 09 (I'm 5'10")

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am 6 feet or 183cm tall with very long legs and arms but with a normal torso and am going to buy a nomad as soon as I can work out weather to go for a size Large or XL, I am going to run a 50mm stem and do everything form cross country to DH obviously with a wheel change.

I normally buy size Large frames but going of the wheelbase the nomad sizes small compared to other brands like the giant reign/reign x, trek remedy, specialized enduros, intense slopestyles and most other comparable bikes.

I am on a med sx trail and the size large nomad wheelbase is shorter than the med sx trail. I cannot ride a nomad because of where I live so I will have to make the decision based on geometry and peoples advice.

Does anyone have any opinions or advice to offer me?

Thank you for your help.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    I am 6 feet or 183cm tall with very long legs and arms but with a normal torso and am going to buy a nomad as soon as I can work out weather to go for a size Large or XL, I am going to run a 50mm stem and do everything form cross country to DH obviously with a wheel change.
    I'm 6'2' and have a large coming. Also have pretty long arms legs etc.
    "

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2' and have a large coming. Also have pretty long arms legs etc.
    I'm about the same but I have slightly shorter legs and a long/tall torso/arms so I have to ride an XL. The large is way to short in the top tube for me.

I am actually slightly concerned with the XL on the Nomad because it's longer than the Heckler... don't really know why the Heckler and Nomad would have different effective top tube lengths since they are, IMO, built for the same purpose but the Nomad is about 1/2" longer. My S-works enduro is about the same and it has always felt comfortable but slightly clunky vs. the perfect set-up of the Heckler. Changing stem lengths isn't the same as having a different top tube length.
    Last edited by gticlay; 01-25-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Trojan, don't call me sad, but are those photos taken on Clent Hills???!? Just looks very familiar as i've been riding there with various bikes since 1986!! I used to have a black mk1 Nomad that was re-pc'd to white. The Nomad's been sold now and i'm now riding a white Heckler which is better suited to what i generally do. Perhaps you could pm me sometime for a meet up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info, I am still undersided the nomads run short in the Large and just a little longer in the XL than most frames that I have ridden.

Does anyone know what the wheelbase difference would be for a 1 degree change in head angle using a 545mm fork?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    Thanks for the info, I am still undersided the nomads run short in the Large and just a little longer in the XL than most frames that I have ridden.

Does anyone know what the wheelbase difference would be for a 1 degree change in head angle using a 545mm fork?
    if you change the head angle by 1 degree would lengthen your wheelbase by approximately half an inch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey all,

My headset came in so I could finally get this steed built:

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

Size Large, just under 30lbs for a true all mountain setup... including aluminum bars and a Joplin post! still need to chop the steerer...

phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    one more shot taken with my nicer camera

IMG_1846 (Large).JPG
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast