Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 1285
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    96

    Nomad 09

    Heres my new toy, got her built up over xmas and only got chance to ride her once, but boy does she ride sweet! I'm really happy, can't belive how easy she flys thru the air...really well balanced, just takes off so well. But then compared to my 06 575 anything is easier to get a bunny hop out of!
    weight 30.6lbs, should shave a bit more off when i change the rear Minion for an Advantage...
    Plan to use for heavy duty trail riding and pedaling back up for more runs...maybe some uplift days too, if it performs as well as im expecting i might be selling the Morewood Izumu soon....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Solo C 32@140
    Nomad 3 C, Pike.
    Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 (recovery rides & grin inducing blasts/uplifts)

  2. #52
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    White was because I couldn't get ano slate. Out of the available powder coats red would of been my first choose but the importer nabbed that one for himself. So white it is.

    What build will you be running???
    Am basing my build around the X9 1.5 All mountain kit with the following mods:
    totem solo air shock
    fox dhx 5 coil
    mavic crossmax dx rims
    22-32 with bash ring
    and probably x.o front and rear der (with the med cage)

    The rest I will negotiate with my tech (also just found out the ano won't be avail till april at best, so going the white as have to be back in Oz by early April)
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Am basing my build around the X9 1.5 All mountain kit with the following mods:
    totem solo air shock
    fox dhx 5 coil
    mavic crossmax dx rims
    22-32 with bash ring
    and probably x.o front and rear der (with the med cage)

    The rest I will negotiate with my tech (also just found out the ano won't be avail till april at best, so going the white as have to be back in Oz by early April)
    I will be running a 180mm Domain for a week or two due to my 36 Van's damping cartridge going south ( possibly on holiday at Bondi beech). Its not a very good fork but Im keen to see how the Nomad goes with a 66 degree head angle.

    Just a thought re. derailers, I think XO and XTR derailers are kind of overrated. I must admit that springing for my Mavic SX wheelset is the best investment I have made in a while. Sub 2kg super stiff/strong wheelset .


    A XO derailer which costs twice as much as an X9, saves a mere 20 gram and can be ripped off by a common stick leaves me feeling kinda flat . . .

  4. #54
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    Build up a buddies Nomad last night. Illl try to get some pics, I forgot all about that.

    Large red Frame
    08 Fox 36 Float R
    DHX5 Coil w/450# spring
    XTR 970 Cranks
    XTR 970 Shifters
    XTR 970 Front Derailleur
    XTR 970 Shadow Rear
    XTR 970 11-34 cassette
    Jagwire Cables & housing
    Mavic XL wheels
    Juicy Carbon Brakes - 185/160
    Selle Italia Flite Saddle
    Race face Next SL Seatpost
    Race Face Next Bars
    Titec Pluto 90mm Stem
    Cane Creek Double Xc Flush Headset (1.5-1 1/8)
    XTR 970 Pedals

    29lb 8 oz

  5. #55
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    I will be running a 180mm Domain for a week or two due to my 36 Van's damping cartridge going south ( possibly on holiday at Bondi beech). Its not a very good fork but Im keen to see how the Nomad goes with a 66 degree head angle.

    Just a thought re. derailers, I think XO and XTR derailers are kind of overrated. I must admit that springing for my Mavic SX wheelset is the best investment I have made in a while. Sub 2kg super stiff/strong wheelset .


    A XO derailer which costs twice as much as an X9, saves a mere 20 gram and can be ripped off by a common stick leaves me feeling kinda flat . . .
    I'm still weighing up my options re: the derailleur, will probably stick to the x9. Also forgot to mention am upping the brakes to 208mm rotors.

    Was the Van new?? Hope its a warranty job then!! How was the bike riding??
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  6. #56
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606

    Money Down!

    Just laid down some hard earned readies on a white pc '09 Nomad . Delivery time eta 2 weeks. Specs (some items still subject to negotiation):
    Fork/Travel Totem Solo Air 1.5 180mm
    Rear Shock / Travel Fox DHX 5 Coil 160mm
    Brakes Avid Elixir CR Carbon (208mm rotors)
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    Cranks Shimano SLX with bash ring
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X9
    Wheel Set Mavic Crossmax SX
    Handlebar Easton EA70 Low, 31.8
    Chain SRAM PC 991
    Bottom Bracket Shimano SLX
    Saddle WTB Pure V
    Seat Post Thomson
    Shifters SRAM X9 Trigger
    Stem Syncros 1.5"
    Headset Cane Creek Double X 1.5
    Freewheel / Cassette SRAM PG 980 11-34
    Grips Lizard Skins Peaty grip Lock On
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    I'm still weighing up my options re: the derailleur, will probably stick to the x9. Also forgot to mention am upping the brakes to 208mm rotors.

    Was the Van new?? Hope its a warranty job then!! How was the bike riding??
    Before the 36 went bung I was pretty impressed with my sexy beast's single track ability. If there is room to lay it down in the corners my Nomad railed like a moto. Mid ride the fork started loosing rebound and compression damping and my bike started steering like a drunken gazelle (hyperactive and erratic).

    The forks not new but the cartridge is. I upgraded from a "R" cartridge to a "RC2" about 4 months ago.

    Re brakes, i will be very interested to here how your XTR brakes go on those big rotors. I have ridden 07 XTR brakes on 180 rotors and they had infinite modulation but no bite. But I weigh 105kg so Im pretty good at cooking brakes.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    160
    Another Nomad for the collection-
    Santa Cruz Nomad '09 medium + Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    • Fox 36 Talas RC2
    • Cranks stylo
    • Front Derraileur Desviador frente Shimano XT
    • Rear Derraileur SRAM X.9
    • Shifters Sram X.9
    • Brakes Magura Louise
    • Saddle Terry Fly Ti
    • Seatpost Gravity Dpopper Turbo
    • Cassette Shimano XT
    • Headset FSA Orbit MX Pro
    • Chain Shimano XT
    • Handlbar Chromag Fubar 30"
    • Stem Thomson 50mm
    • Wheels Mavic CrossMax SX and Chris king/ Stan's Flow
    • Tires Maxxis Advantage 2.4
    • Pedals kona
    • Grips odi
    Weight 32.5 lbs w/pedals with heavy wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965

    My sexy beast showing off some long legs . . .

    Heres some pix of my sexy beast with a180mm travel RS Domain fork. Unfortunately my 36 Vans are awaiting repair but luckily I had the Domains lying around.

    The longer fork makes climbing a bit of a chore but descending on bermed trails was big fun. On choppy trails the Domains are no match for my Vans or the Nomads rear suspension for that matter.

    When is Fox going to make a 180 travel Talas fork??? I will be first in line . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by other aardvark; 01-18-2009 at 03:09 AM.

  10. #60
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    Other aardvark, is that a large or XL frame?

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Other aardvark, is that a large or XL frame?
    LARGE

  12. #62
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    Damn I really want to see an X-LARGE. Hopefully Mine comes in this week!

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Damn I really want to see an X-LARGE. Hopefully Mine comes in this week!
    It seems a bit of a shame that you are selling your BLT

  14. #64
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    Yes it is, but Im just to tall for it. On steep climbs my Center of gravity ends up behind the rear wheel, severely limiting climbing efficiency. Once it was all calc'ed out it was pretty obvious. My old nomad was really teetering on the line as well, and I never knew how close it was, the new Nomad is slightly better, on paper, we shall see. Otherwise Ill be hunting down another XL 06-07 Frame.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Yes it is, but Im just to tall for it. On steep climbs my Center of gravity ends up behind the rear wheel, severely limiting climbing efficiency. Once it was all calc'ed out it was pretty obvious. My old nomad was really teetering on the line as well, and I never knew how close it was, the new Nomad is slightly better, on paper, we shall see. Otherwise Ill be hunting down another XL 06-07 Frame.
    How tall are you????!!! Hopefully the slightly longer top tube of the new Nomad will work for you.

  16. #66
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    How tall are you????!!! Hopefully the slightly longer top tube of the new Nomad will work for you.
    Im 6'7". The top tube and the longer chainstays should support it better. Hopefully Ill find out soon.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ThePunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    294
    for you guys on med frames, how tall are you?

    the new Nomad sizing is weird to me...I typically like 23" TT's but I recall trying a large 08 and it felt good.

    wonder if I would fit on a med 09 (I'm 5'10")

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28
    I am 6 feet or 183cm tall with very long legs and arms but with a normal torso and am going to buy a nomad as soon as I can work out weather to go for a size Large or XL, I am going to run a 50mm stem and do everything form cross country to DH obviously with a wheel change.

    I normally buy size Large frames but going of the wheelbase the nomad sizes small compared to other brands like the giant reign/reign x, trek remedy, specialized enduros, intense slopestyles and most other comparable bikes.

    I am on a med sx trail and the size large nomad wheelbase is shorter than the med sx trail. I cannot ride a nomad because of where I live so I will have to make the decision based on geometry and peoples advice.

    Does anyone have any opinions or advice to offer me?

    Thank you for your help.

  19. #69
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    I am 6 feet or 183cm tall with very long legs and arms but with a normal torso and am going to buy a nomad as soon as I can work out weather to go for a size Large or XL, I am going to run a 50mm stem and do everything form cross country to DH obviously with a wheel change.
    I'm 6'2' and have a large coming. Also have pretty long arms legs etc.
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    I'm 6'2' and have a large coming. Also have pretty long arms legs etc.
    I'm about the same but I have slightly shorter legs and a long/tall torso/arms so I have to ride an XL. The large is way to short in the top tube for me.

    I am actually slightly concerned with the XL on the Nomad because it's longer than the Heckler... don't really know why the Heckler and Nomad would have different effective top tube lengths since they are, IMO, built for the same purpose but the Nomad is about 1/2" longer. My S-works enduro is about the same and it has always felt comfortable but slightly clunky vs. the perfect set-up of the Heckler. Changing stem lengths isn't the same as having a different top tube length.
    Last edited by gticlay; 01-25-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    133
    Trojan, don't call me sad, but are those photos taken on Clent Hills???!? Just looks very familiar as i've been riding there with various bikes since 1986!! I used to have a black mk1 Nomad that was re-pc'd to white. The Nomad's been sold now and i'm now riding a white Heckler which is better suited to what i generally do. Perhaps you could pm me sometime for a meet up!

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks for the info, I am still undersided the nomads run short in the Large and just a little longer in the XL than most frames that I have ridden.

    Does anyone know what the wheelbase difference would be for a 1 degree change in head angle using a 545mm fork?

  23. #73
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    Thanks for the info, I am still undersided the nomads run short in the Large and just a little longer in the XL than most frames that I have ridden.

    Does anyone know what the wheelbase difference would be for a 1 degree change in head angle using a 545mm fork?
    if you change the head angle by 1 degree would lengthen your wheelbase by approximately half an inch.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    Hey all,

    My headset came in so I could finally get this steed built:

    IMG_0171.JPG

    IMG_0172.JPG

    IMG_0174.JPG

    Size Large, just under 30lbs for a true all mountain setup... including aluminum bars and a Joplin post! still need to chop the steerer...

    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    one more shot taken with my nicer camera

    IMG_1846 (Large).JPG
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    247
    Joplin condom?

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    I like the nude look. The "Joplin condom" probably isnt a bad idea. My Maverick version gets stick fairly frequently.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    Thanks aardvark. The Joplin condom is just a road tube and some tie wraps... it has worked well for all of last season. The only drawback is the vaccuum effect when you slam the post. Probably wouldn't work well for the remote versions where you have to let it spring back unassisted.

    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    I like the nude look. The "Joplin condom" probably isnt a bad idea. My Maverick version gets stick fairly frequently.
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    Thanks aardvark. The Joplin condom is just a road tube and some tie wraps... it has worked well for all of last season. The only drawback is the vaccuum effect when you slam the post. Probably wouldn't work well for the remote versions where you have to let it spring back unassisted.
    yeah. I run a remote. I have some old Lizard skins for forks lying around so I will give it a go. Re. "nude" look, how much does the paint weigh?

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    I forgot to weigh it before the strip! :-/

    Would have liked to have known...

    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    yeah. I run a remote. I have some old Lizard skins for forks lying around so I will give it a go. Re. "nude" look, how much does the paint weigh?
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  31. #81
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    I forgot to weigh it before the strip! :-/

    Would have liked to have known...
    Couldn't be that much, not "lead" based paints anymore!! LOL
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    yeah. I run a remote. I have some old Lizard skins for forks lying around so I will give it a go. Re. "nude" look, how much does the paint weigh?

    PS: My buddy got a small and is also doing the 'nude' look. He's spent lots of time polishing it up to get rid of any minutia. Mine has little scratches from the stock tubing if you look at it really closely. He wet sanded it down and went through a more exhaustive polishing process. It looks exactly like the previous gen polished ones! I'll post some pics once he gets it together.
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  33. #83
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    OUT FOR DELIVERY!
    :giddy:

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28
    Out of interest does anyone know what size frame Kirt Vories rides, he is 6" so I would be thinking he would ride a Medium or a Large, does anyone know?

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    Out of interest does anyone know what size frame Kirt Vories rides, he is 6" so I would be thinking he would ride a Medium or a Large, does anyone know?
    WOW, a 6 inch tall professional bicycle racer? I've never heard of that!!! I would imagine Kirt to be 6 feet at least.
    "It looks flexy"

  36. #86
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    Out of interest does anyone know what size frame Kirt Vories rides, he is 6" so I would be thinking he would ride a Medium or a Large, does anyone know?

    XXXS ????? Munchkin size!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by supros88
    Out of interest does anyone know what size frame Kirt Vories rides, he is 6" so I would be thinking he would ride a Medium or a Large, does anyone know?
    Funny, I just watched NWD9 and seeing him shred on his Nomad was unbelievable. a 360 over a gap jump? WTF

    I would have to say he would ride a medium just for the flickability and his riding style. I just jumped from Medium ('06 Nomad) to Large ('09 Nomad) and I'm 6' with a 'normal' leg to torso ratio.

    It fits pretty good; it has a 1" longer TT and 1" longer wheelbase. Plus all the angle changes from '06 to '09. Looking forward hitting the trail...
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    one more shot taken with my nicer camera

    IMG_1846 (Large).JPG
    Hi Phil what bash gaurd is that you have on your xtr cranks, Saint?

    Im having a hard time trying to find one on the sites and supplier.

    Elliott.

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott_MBR
    Hi Phil what bash gaurd is that you have on your xtr cranks, Saint?

    Im having a hard time trying to find one on the sites and supplier.

    Elliott.
    Elliott,

    It's a Saint, previous gen, not the new '09 one. A little bit of dremeling required to get it behind the XTR crank arm, but it's a light (and cheap) solution. Plus it looks pretty sweet too.

    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  40. #90
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Kirt rocks a Large Nomad

  41. #91
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    OUT FOR DELIVERY!
    :giddy:

    Did you get it?

  42. #92
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    I just jumped from Medium ('06 Nomad) to Large ('09 Nomad) and I'm 6' with a 'normal' leg to torso ratio.

    It fits pretty good; it has a 1" longer TT and 1" longer wheelbase. Plus all the angle changes from '06 to '09. Looking forward hitting the trail...
    How do you find the handling, ride etc when comparing the two there Phil?? Interested to hear your feedback. I'm 6'2" with probably longer arms and legs, but have a large on order.
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  43. #93
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Kirt rocks a Large Nomad
    Yeah, but Kirt's in a way different league to me!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Yeah, but Kirt's in a way different league to me!!
    Kirt's an entirely different species to me.

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    677
    Can't really say too much yet because I haven't even got it out on the trails!

    But it definitely feels different than my '06 Nomad. The '06 was very nimble and agile underneath me. The 1" longer wheelbase on the large is really noticeable, as is the steeper seat angle. We have a set of stairs in the LBS we ride down, and it definitely felt different than my old one. Felt more 'forward' on the bike.

    Mind you, on my '06, I had the saddle all the way back on the rails with a setback post. With the new setup, my saddle is mid way on the rails. Plumb line test was perfect, so it should make for a much more efficient machine. With the previous setup I was more of a pedal masher.

    With the 90mm stem it definitely feels more stretched out than the previous one, but I guess I'll only really know when I hit the trail. I say worst case scenario I may go down to a 70mm.

    At 6'2, providing you're pretty even lower to upper body, you should be fine with a large if you prefer a medium to tight cockpit rather than stretched out...

    Will give a more detailed update once I get out on it!

    cheers


    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    How do you find the handling, ride etc when comparing the two there Phil?? Interested to hear your feedback. I'm 6'2" with probably longer arms and legs, but have a large on order.
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  46. #96
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Did you get it?
    I did! Actually I got it and a case of the stomache flu as well. bad enough I didnt even touch the frame till this morning. Here is a quick shot in the mess tonite. Ill take it for a spin tomorrow then hopefully really beat on it on Sunday.

    29.5 pounds. XL Nomad Frame was 7lb 6 oz. Thats 0.5 lb heavier than the XL Anno BLT2 Frame.

    I gained .5 lb in the frame and .5 in a 2 step Lyrik, then a 3 oz in a headset and stem for the 1.5 fork.


  47. #97
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    I did! Actually I got it and a case of the stomache flu as well. bad enough I didnt even touch the frame till this morning. Here is a quick shot in the mess tonite. Ill take it for a spin tomorrow then hopefully really beat on it on Sunday.

    29.5 pounds. XL Nomad Frame was 7lb 6 oz. Thats 0.5 lb heavier than the XL Anno BLT2 Frame.

    I gained .5 lb in the frame and .5 in a 2 step Lyrik, then a 3 oz in a headset and stem for the 1.5 fork.
    Mate, its under 30lbs, so that's not too shabby at all!! Great colour! Hope you dust the bug!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  48. #98
    Busted!!!
    Reputation: mxracer33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    472
    First Ride Impressions:

    This bike is Great. It pedals as good as the LT2 on the flats, and even seems to roll better, mostly due to it eating all the little chatter you feel on the blur.

    The Monarch is great. It is super plush fully open, pedals very well on Mid and standing climbs on Full only netted 1/4" of bob on a 1 mile rough fireroad climb.

    It doesnt quite turn as well as the LT2. My measured Headtube angle was 66* vs the LT2 @ 68* (with 160mm lyrik). Hopefully a shorter headset will get me back to 67* and quicken it up just a hair. One note, the new generation still turns better than the 07 at 67*. It is more stable and alot smoother, braking traction is greatly improved, even with nearly worn out Nevegals.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,213

    I agree with you on the rear deraileurs

    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    I will be running a 180mm Domain for a week or two due to my 36 Van's damping cartridge going south ( possibly on holiday at Bondi beech). Its not a very good fork but Im keen to see how the Nomad goes with a 66 degree head angle.

    Just a thought re. derailers, I think XO and XTR derailers are kind of overrated. I must admit that springing for my Mavic SX wheelset is the best investment I have made in a while. Sub 2kg super stiff/strong wheelset .


    A XO derailer which costs twice as much as an X9, saves a mere 20 gram and can be ripped off by a common stick leaves me feeling kinda flat . . .
    The only XTR deraileur I ever purchased lasted about two weeks. I did a little bunny hop over a root and landed on a stick throwing it into the chain and deraileur and the deraileur went into many pieces all over the trail. Pure expensive crap. I've had many XT deraileurs over the years and never had one break.
    Last edited by 67degrees; 02-04-2009 at 05:28 AM.

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    The only XTR deraileur I ever purchased lasted about two weeks. I did a little bunny hop over a root and I landed on a stick throwing it into the chain and deraieur and the deraileur went into many pieces all over the trail. Pure expensiver crap. I've hand many XT deraileurs over the years and never had one break.
    Re XT deraileurs, I to have never broken one but i did end up twisting two of the 06~07 models. As I was getting a bit over shelling out for for a mundane bike part I went a LX. A few years,a few stick attacks and a few bikes latter Im still using this LX deraileur on my BLT2. Im not sure but maybe the old LX resists being twisted out of wack due to the steel rear plate in the parallelogram.

    The absolute durability winner of any deraileur I have ever owned is an 1996 short cage XTR. This deraileur has been on so many bikes and it was only 9 speed that put it out of action only to be dragged back from retirement when I learned how crap 9 speed was (in the early days). It now recides on my renovators delight, a 99 GT STS theroplastic carbon fibor wunder bike. The STS is ... another story...

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •