Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Taste in Bike AND beer I see is that a Deschutes I spot on the counter? Black Butte Porter is my fav...

almost makes me wish I had waited - but I love my raw Nomad2...

I used button head Avid adapter mounting bolts and it worked like a charm.

Mirror Pond. Good stuff.

I'm glad I waited, I only missed a couple warm days of riding so far this year, and were going to Fruita and Moab next weekend to break the bike properly.

-Simon
    Whiskey

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Mirror Pond. Good stuff.

I'm glad I waited, I only missed a couple warm days of riding so far this year, and were going to Fruita and Moab next weekend to break the bike properly.

-Simon
    I'm not the biggest fan of painted frames...the last few bikes I've bought have been either polished, raw or ano...

if you need some bolts let me know, I'll send you some - but I'm sure you want your bike to roll yesterday - so you'll probably find something

good luck!

Moab - droooooool! what I would give to ride there.

Fat Guy Riding
    Thank you.

Questions, on the rear brake mounts, the screws heads that came with the hayes brakes don't fit in the inset holes. I was looking at everyone else's set up and all the screw heads are flush with the inset hole. Did any of you have go buy smaller headed screws or did everyone's fit the first time?
    Also, with the Chris King 1.5 Devolution headset, do you have to use the preloader that came with it or can I use the star fangled nut thats already in my steer tube. Thank you Ill put some more pics up when its complete.
    The Hayes screws I had just barely went in there. At first glance, they don't seem to fit, but they get in there w/o scratching anything.

Use the preloader if your fork allows for it, it's a little stiffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hi, can someone pls post a up close shot of the carbon upper link? many thanks.
    edid: found it, its avaliable at UK santacruz bikes website

ps: how many nomad mk2 riders here are over 240lbs ?
    Last edited by cup; 04-03-2009 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cup
    hi, can someone pls post a up close shot of the carbon upper link? many thanks.
    edid: found it, its avaliable at UK santacruz bikes website

ps: how many nomad mk2 riders here are over 240lbs ?
    Yep, Im 240 pounds. What you want the link pics for mate???

mtbr member
    Got it.

Photobucket

-Simon
    Hows the cat feel about you using its scratching post as a work bench. If your tyres mysteriously go flat then you may suspect your kitty wasn't happy.

I caught my cat using my front wheel as a scratching post a while back. Evil creatures, cats...

ps How long before you have the nomad built???

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73
    The Hayes screws I had just barely went in there. At first glance, they don't seem to fit, but they get in there w/o scratching anything.

Use the preloader if your fork allows for it, it's a little stiffer.
    Thanks, Ill take a 2nd look at the screw. I think I have some other around somewhere. As for the pre-loader, I actually read the manual and learned that yes, you can use a star nut if you so desire. I'll wait till I get a fork with a 1.5" steerer to use the pre-loader. Thanks for you help!

-Simon
    Whiskey

I dream on two wheels
    Oh, one other thing I was going to mention: I bought one of the Progressive 5th that SC had on super sale a while ago. Its a 2.75x8.75. Now I know there is some doubt as to if it will fit on the MK2, but on my frame at least, it looks like it will. There is a good centimeter and a half of clearance between the lower link and the bump stop. I'll post up if and when I try it.

-Simon
    Whiskey

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Hows the cat feel about you using its scratching post as a work bench. If your tyres mysteriously go flat then you may suspect your kitty wasn't happy.

I caught my cat using my front wheel as a scratching post a while back. Evil creatures, cats...

ps How long before you have the nomad built???
    2 cats. The only thing I caught them doing last night was playing with the shift cables that were hanging off the handle bars. All fine and good till the cable start unwinding. I hope I don't have any surprises when I get home tonight, like cat crap on the seat or something.

The build should be done tonight, just need to run to the bike shop and use their bottom bracket tool and then finish running the cables, then its done. Bad part is were suppose to be getting a foot of snow in Denver tomorrow, good for snow boarding though.

-Simon
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    2 cats. The only thing I caught them doing last night was playing with the shift cables that were hanging off the handle bars. All fine and good till the cable start unwinding. I hope I don't have any surprises when I get home tonight, like cat crap on the seat or something.

The build should be done tonight, just need to run to the bike shop and use their bottom bracket tool and then finish running the cables, then its done. Bad part is were suppose to be getting a foot of snow in Denver tomorrow, good for snow boarding though.

-Simon
    I await your pics with baited breath.

ps I gather your snow is a little unseasonable? A mate in Canada says winters on over time this year. In Oz we are getting unseasonable heavy rain on the mid eastern coast, coastal towns flooding in these areas are a bit unusual.

Zombie Uprising
    Got it.

Photobucket

-Simon
    Very nice color indeed, but dare I say...white looks faster!

I dream on two wheels

ps I gather your snow is a little unseasonable? A mate in Canada says winters on over time this year. In Oz we are getting unseasonable heavy rain on the mid eastern coast, coastal towns flooding in these areas are a bit unusual.

A little unseasonable, however the last couple weeks have been in the 70 when it should have been snowing and cold, so this is a little pay back. We need the moisture bad though. The trip to Moab is only 6 short days away though, 70 and sunny just 6 hours west of Denver.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    A little unseasonable, however the last couple weeks have been in the 70 when it should have been snowing and cold, so this is a little pay back. We need the moisture bad though. The trip to Moab is only 6 short days away though, 70 and sunny just 6 hours west of Denver.
    Sounds like fun

Ride Good or Eat Wood

The hill here closes on Sunday, the last two days have been powder days, its pukin' snow as I sit here typing and its farking April!!! I've got a new nomad sitting in my lounge and I can't ride it.... apparently getting up to 17 degrees C on Sunday through Monday, so now hoping to take it for a spin them!! Fly out for home on Wed and aardvark tells me its pissing rain back there...... WTF, I just wanna ride!! Then again, I have had two awesome days touring and skiing the trees, untracked knee to waist deep yesterday..... so I guess the bike can wait!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    im 240 lbs and i huck to 10ft to flat with my nomad 2 withno problem haha jk
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yep, Im 240 pounds. What you want the link pics for mate???
    wanna have a closer look at it
    cause i'm really hesitant on pulling the trigger because of the carbon link. i'm afraid like 2-3 years down the road, if it decides to give way, i'd have to order a new carbon link or machine 1 out of aluminium( which is going to cost alot).

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    cause i'm really hesitant on pulling the trigger because of the carbon link. i'm afraid like 2-3 years down the road, if it decides to give way, i'd have to order a new carbon link or machine 1 out of aluminium( which is going to cost alot).
    Somehow I can't see SC putting something on their bike that isn't going to go the distance or take the punishment. If the carbon link starts to fail, suspect we would see free replacements..... wouldn't be good for business. They would have done their research before making it out of carbon.
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Even V10 has carbon parts in its linkage system. I don't believe it will be a problem at all. A lot of people seem to have prejudices about carbon, maybe stemming from 90's when the technology wasn't at the level it is today.

mtbr member
    wanna have a closer look at it
    pics will be posted soon

I dream on two wheels
    Its coming along nicely. I just need some cable housing.

Photobucket
    Whiskey

Fat Guy Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

I dream on two wheels

Here are some pictures of the complete bike. I only tooled around the neighborhood so far and haven't really played around with the shock too much, but my initial impression is DAMN. Butter is the first word that comes to my mind. So smooth, much more maneuverable than my Bullit. Could be that my Bullit was 10 lbs heavier. It feels stiffer too Anyway, Im pretty excited to get it on dirt. I did have to use the greese gun already, there was an awful creak when I would pedel hard from side to side. Hopefully that wouldn't be a reoccurring thing.

One other note, the preloader that comes with the Chris Kind Devolution headset doesn't fit in my Marzocchi 66. the steer tube tapers too much at the bottom. However if you flip the preloader up side down so the top cap is on the under side of the fork it works just fine. Heres some pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Were going to Moab this weekend so I'll get some action shots too.

-Simon
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    I also tried the grease gun this weekend. Did it work for you? I had problems getting the grease to go through the system - Maybe some of the grease was dry and plugging it up? Anyway, grease came out the threads of the gun, where the gun connected to the fittings... anywhere but out the bearings till I heard a little pop and then grease shot out of 1 spot, not all the way around. It didn't look like the white replacement grease either - more like a dark blue/purple color. So I may have to tear the bottom apart, clean, relube, reassemble, and grease it more often.
    "It looks flexy"

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I also tried the grease gun this weekend. Did it work for you? I had problems getting the grease to go through the system - Maybe some of the grease was dry and plugging it up? Anyway, grease came out the threads of the gun, where the gun connected to the fittings... anywhere but out the bearings till I heard a little pop and then grease shot out of 1 spot, not all the way around. It didn't look like the white replacement grease either - more like a dark blue/purple color. So I may have to tear the bottom apart, clean, relube, reassemble, and grease it more often.
    I think the grease gun worked. After about 2 pumps of grease it started coming out from around the bearings. It was blue so I think it was pushing the factory grease out. Mine was really hard to get on and off of the zerks.

-Simon
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    I think the grease gun worked. After about 2 pumps of grease it started coming out from around the bearings. It was blue so I think it was pushing the factory grease out. Mine was really hard to get on and off of the zerks.

-Simon
    Mine was pretty easy to get on/off. Hmmm.
    "It looks flexy"

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast