Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

KS LEV Dropper post sizing for LTc

Getting ready to pick up a dropper post for my LTc and was wondering if I should go with the 385 or 435 sizing. The bike is an XL and im 6'1". I'd like to be able to drop the seat as low as possible. Also, is KS Lev the way to go. That's what I was recommeded at Colorado Cyclist and I've read alot of good things
    about it.
    Thx, Pete

P.S. I just was that Colorqdo Cylist has the RockShox Reverb on sale for $279. Should I just save $100 and get the Reverb or am I better off payind $120 more for the KS Lev.
    Last edited by peter19ue; 03-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Scant abuse
    Get the KS Lev!
    At 6'1" on an XL your main concern will be being full extension being too high with your post fully inserted!
    Measure your existing post from top of seat clamp to rails. you will need a min of 185mm and a max of 285mm to use a a 385mm with 125 drop.If you have less thean 185mm you will need to look at 100mm drop, you can then get away with 160 mm clamp to rails measurement.

mtbr member
    The travel + 57 mm is the minimum height from the full insertion to saddle rails. (if the cable clears your seatpost collar - you need 5.5 mm)

KS LEV Dropper post sizing for LTc-776232d1362053352-minimal-dropper-seatpost-height-when-fully-extended-misure_lev.jpg

I+B+F in that diagram.

I really like my Fox DOSS and with the price reduction to $340 it is relatively affordable now.
    I had a Command Post Blacklite and had too many mechanical problems with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Okay, I will take some measurements and see what I come upo with. Seems like the 385 may be the way to go since it has 125mm of drop. I'm afraid if I go with the 150mm drop I won't be able to get the seat all the way down before it bottoms out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You can get the Kind Lev at bike bling for $304 shipped. Use the coupon code of "hearts15" for 15% off of $349 then $10 to ship.

Bike-Discount.de (Bike Discount) - KS Lev $310

I have the 125 mm on my medium blur Lt and it is awesome.

Scant abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    The travel + 57 mm is the minimum height from the full insertion to saddle rails. (if the cable clears your seatpost collar - you need 5.5 mm)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	776232d1362053352-minimal-dropper-seatpost-height-when-fully-extended-misure_lev.jpg 
Views:	1812 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	777950

I+B+F in that diagram.

I really like my Fox DOSS and with the price reduction to $340 it is relatively affordable now.
    I had a Command Post Blacklite and had too many mechanical problems with it.
    Great diagram C - D will give you the minmum seatpost exposed you can get away with - 184mm for 385mm 125 drop! You will need 209mm for a 150mm drop which would be unlikley unless you have very long legs...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info. I live in CA so I'd have to pay tax but it's still less that $394. Seems like the KS Lev 125mm is the way to do. Is it worth waiting for the Thompson Dropper to come out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    125 was a tad short for me, I'm at the min insertion line on the factory equipped Thomson and need to go higher still, same for the Lev.

mtbr member
    How is the Lev? I'm seriously considering one, I really like the cable routing, but I don't know anyone who has one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I took some measurements and right now my existing post from top of seat clamp to rails is 165mm. This probably means I have to get to KS Lev with 100mm of drop because the 385 or 435 will cause the seat the be way too high for me. Does this make sense. Just want to make sure that I order the correct one. Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by peter19ue; 03-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    dddd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    So I took some measurements and right now my existing post from top of seat clamp to rails is 165mm. This probably means I have to get to KS Lev with 100mm of drop because the 385 or 435 will cause the seat the be way too high for me. Does this make sense. Just want to make sure that I order the correct one. Thanks again for all your help.
    Yep. The 125 dropper would put the lowest seat height at 182 mm. The 100 mm dropper puts it at 157 mm.
    So with the 100mm you would have the seat 8 mm above max insertion.

I just measured my D.O.S.S. and it measures 160ish from max insertion to seat rails with 125 mm of drop.
    Might be a better option for you. You lose infinite adjustability, which I don't think is a big deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info. Maybe the DOSS would be a better fit given the height of my seat. is the seatpost you have the 4 or 5 inch drop. How does it compare to the KS Lev

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Maybe the DOSS would be a better fit given the height of my seat. is the seatpost you have the 4 or 5 inch drop. How does it compare to the KS Lev
    125mm of drop (5"). I really like it. Can't compare it to the Lev as I have never ridden with one.
    I had the Spec Command Post Blacklite and it had too many mechanical issues.
    I turned it in for the second warranty repair and bought a DOSS. The LBS manager
    that I talked to about the DOSS know the R&D guy for Fox and he said it is pretty bomb proof.

Like I said above it has two set drop points so if you want infinite adjustability it isn't for you.
    I find that the set points are perfect for how use it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm not too worried about the infinite adjustability. Everyone I have spoken to really likes the KS Lev and the fact that the cable does not go up and down with the seatpost but looks like given the height of my seat the KS Lev is not a good fit. Most likely I will pick up the DOSS or possibly look into some other brands.

mtbr member

KS LEV Dropper post sizing for LTc

The cable moving is a non-factor. It really never gets in the way. I've never once noticed it on either the DOSS or Blacklite. That feature gets overblown IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The cable moving is a non-factor. It really never gets in the way. I've never once noticed it on either the DOSS or Blacklite. That feature gets overblown IMO.
    It's basically the same as running your bike without attaching the rear brake cable to the frame. Probably doable, but when I can, I avoid having big loops of cable hanging off my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    On my blur lt2 my previous suspension post, a crank brothers Joplin, would catch the cable on the upper linkage frame pivot point all the time and would sometimes not come back up.

My new Kind Lev does not have that problem. It is a very nice benefit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Did you ever buy the Lev? Was it a big deal to you that when fully extended it was higher than your existing climbing position? My full seat full up right now is 130mm from the collar. That will put be 27mm too high whenever I fully extend the Lev. Would this be enough of a deal breaker to have to adjust it down 1" every time I max it out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ended up purchasing the one with 100mm of height adjustment and it worked out great. I ended up getting a real good deal on it from some online store in So Cal. I really like it so far

mtbr member
    Yep, LEV has been a great dropper port for me too! I went with the 100mm for my medium frame (Al version), but could have squeezed in a 125mm travel. Doesn't matter to me though, since when slammed down all the way it's great for the downhill sections.

"Got everything you need?"

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yep. The 125 dropper would put the lowest seat height at 182 mm. The 100 mm dropper puts it at 157 mm.
    So with the 100mm you would have the seat 8 mm above max insertion.

I just measured my D.O.S.S. and it measures 160ish from max insertion to seat rails with 125 mm of drop.
    Might be a better option for you. You lose infinite adjustability, which I don't think is a big deal.
    So I am looking at ordering Lev for Blur LTc as well - currently my seat is at 184mm from the collar and probably could be a bit higher - so looks like 125 mm would work - key question is - does the cable clear the seatpost collar on Blur LTc ? Does somebody know ?

mtbr member
    i just replaced my Joplin with a KS Dropzone on my BLTc that I got for $160. Such a big improvement over the mess that is the Joplin. the KS feels so solid relative to the always wiggling Joplin. I have yet to hear a bad thing about KS seatposts. everyone seems to love them.

Honestly, I dont see the non-moving cable as that big of a deal especially for the money you pay for that privilege.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k_z View Post
    So I am looking at ordering Lev for Blur LTc as well - currently my seat is at 184mm from the collar and probably could be a bit higher - so looks like 125 mm would work - key question is - does the cable clear the seatpost collar on Blur LTc ? Does somebody know ?
    It clears on my Tallboy LTc that has the standard Santa Cruz QR collar.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    It clears on my Tallboy LTc that has the standard Santa Cruz QR collar.
    Thanks !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast