Feeling retro..but Jung

Just got my new to me Blur XC built

I have one thing to say..

30.9 WTF!!!! Why spec an odball size post????

I was on my last shop and the dude was in the back looking for shims to fit one of the 7 seat posts I have that are smaller than 30.9 so I started rummaging threw the clearance bins and low and behold theres a 30.9 Race Face at just under half off.

anyway initial impression 'tis a bit soft in the back feels floaty not usually my thing but it's why I got it I was looking for a bit of soft soooo...

We'll see how it commutes tomorrow and how it acts as a mountain bike next weekend.
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    30.9 is odd? I've built up half a dozen bikes this year and they ALL had 30.9mm seatposts... and that's across Santa Cruz, Yeti, and Niner.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    30.8 is FAR more standard than 30.9.
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    You haven't seem my friend's Ellsworth yet ... 27.2 on a MTB bike ...

Feeling retro..but Jung
    27.2 I have, that's actually what I was going to shim it to that would mean all my bikes would have a same size seatpost.

27.2 and 31.6 are the most common in my experience.

mtbr member
    I see where you are coming from. I have 25mm and 27.2mm from my road bikes, but it's always been 30.9mm from my MTBs. At the end of the day, it really depends on what brands /made/design your bikes are.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    yea my Ti and steel of both flavors have been 27.2 my carbon and aluminum of both flavors have been 31.6..

Now I have a 30.9 bike...it's done now so it's fine but when I started putting seat post in yesterday I was not even a little pleased.

Such is life..

Fun bike to look at though especially now cleaned and waxed..

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    30.8 is FAR more standard than 30.9.
    No it's not. Of the gazillion mountain bikes on the market, the vast majority of them are 27.2, 30.9 or 31.6.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    No it's not. Of the gazillion mountain bikes on the market, the vast majority of them are 27.2, 30.9 or 31.6.
    You should come tell the shops in my 'burb of Stuttgart then they have all flavors of 30.8 and the one 30.9 was in the clearance bin because they sell like hotcakes because they're on every bike.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    O.P. hate to continue the argument but 30.9 is a much more common size than 30.8. The only company that I know of that used 30.8 to any degree was Giant, and even they switched to 30.9 a number of years ago.
    27.2 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Like I said I could have bought 20 30.8 posts to the one 30.9. There were also no 30.9 to anything shims..