Big Gulps, Alright!

Idea to short shock a Blur LT

I had this crazy idea the other day because while my Blur is super fun, it's kind of a pig (~31lbs) and it's become overkill a lot of the time. The Blur TRa has probably made this idea a bit redundant but I'm still considering it.

I know people have short shocked BLTs before but I would plan to have the stock 8.5x2.5 internally shortened to 8.25 x 2.25. Travel would be ~130mm, the BB would drop a little and the angles would slacken. By how much exactly I'm not sure. I might mock up an 8.25" rod to mimic the shorter length. Then I would swap my 160mm Lyrik for a 150mm Revelation. I wouldn't lose much travel and I could still have my slack head angle. I would drop a ton of weight. The only concern would be that the BB might end up TOO low.

I suppose I could just pick up a TRa, but I already own the BLT. I haven't seen anyone short shock a BLT in this manner and I'm curious if anyone had tried it and what the results were. Comments/tips/criticism welcome.

(I attached a pic as she sits. Crappy quality but it's the best one I've got.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Idea to short shock a Blur LT-blur-lt.jpg  

mtbr member
    It sounds like a time consuming and expensive change that would hardly be noticeable.
    If you want the revelation then get it, and skip the rest.

10 mm in the front is less than half a degree of head angle change, and although people make a big deal about that on paper, it really doesn't amount to sh1t. You could make up that much difference with a bigger front tire. (not that you would need to).

If you want a 8.25 length shock instead of 8.5, let some air out of the one you've got

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's actually a little more since the a2c height would go from 545 to 529. The head angle change was noticeable when I went from the OEM Rev to the Lyrik. Letting air out of the shock wouldn't have any effect - I think you've missed the point in that regard.

What I would shoot for: 150mm/130mm travel, 13" BB height, 66 degree head angle. And do all that while losing weight.

mtbr member

Idea to short shock a Blur LT

Delete
    Last edited by nightofthefleming; 08-26-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Easiest/cheapest way to experiment with that would be to put an offset shock bushing in, I just ordered one myself last week for my Blur LT(I'm trying to do the same thing as you, because I have a Nomad now for heavier duty riding). Look on ebay for proshox offset bushing.

b a n n e d
    I'll also add that 160mm on the front of the BLT is a lot of travel. I had 150mm for a while and dropped down to 140 and the bike handles a bit better IMO. The bike just feels much more balanced now.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Why would you bother with all that just to reduce the rear travel 10mm? You're not losing any weight in the rear (obviously), it's all by swapping out the front fork.

Get the Revelation and ride the BLT with the 150/140mm travel combo, you might like it just fine. I personally wouldn't want to decrease the travel in the rear of my BlurLT, but that's just me.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The bike originally came with a 150mm Rev RL and my frame is an LT2.1 so IIRC the head angle was 68 degrees with that fork. I didn't really like it. The bike felt balanced - too balanced even. I'm accustomed to riding off the back end so I stuck my Lyrik on there. The Lyrik is really nice, but I think I like the slacker head angle rather than the added travel.

The offset shock bushings are a great idea. Change the angles and drop the BB without changing the travel.

I do have a 7.875 x 2.25 shock laying around. I could try that with some offset bushings similar to here: http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/san...st-844373.html

mtbr member
    So to sum it up, you want a lighter fork and keep the slack angle.

How about putting on the rev, and swapping your front wheel to a 27.5? Then you would have the slack angle, lighter weight, wouldn't have to mess with your rear shock or lower your BB, and you'd have the rolling advantage of the big front wheel.

Tree Crasher
    The problem with mods to the shock as you suggested or the mentioned offset bushings is that the swingarm is already in the travel curve and that's before sag. Individual bikes will be affected differently depending on their design.

On mine I put a Works Components offset 1 angle headset after ditching my 36 Talas for a 150mm Sektor. Lost a lot of weight, small hits are better, got the head angle I want, seat angle steepened a hair for better pedaling and the BB dropped a bit for better handling though it's barely noticeable. Your head tube is tapered which gives you more options than I have.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    There is a guy I ride with once in a while who did this, with a 7.875 x 2.25 shock, and running a fork dropped down to 130-140mm or so. Slackened it up quite a bit, thus the need to drop the fork travel down to dro the front end as well.

Only downside according to him is the looooooow BB height when things get really chunky and rocky.

Hell, if you've got that spare shock, throw it on there and see what happens. If your Lyrik is either U-turn or Solo Air, you could drop the travel a bit as well. Cheap and easy to try at least.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Angleset seems like a good option.

smartass
    I say try it. BLT's are tall bikes to begin with, and with a Lyrik, it's even taller. You could easily drop half an inch or more from the bb height without being too low.

I'd try the offset shock hardware first before making a change to the shock. It's not expensive, and easily reversible.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    I say try it. BLT's are tall bikes to begin with, and with a Lyrik, it's even taller. You could easily drop half an inch or more from the bb height without being too low.

I'd try the offset shock hardware first before making a change to the shock. It's not expensive, and easily reversible.
    This . . .

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Angleset seems like a good option.
    And this . . .

Though neither will really save you any weight, but if the goal is shaving grams the BLT is no longer a "light" bike by current standards. The frame alone is over 6.5 lbs. I have one as well and have it built up with a blend of light but strong parts, and it tips the scales just over 27lbs.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    An angleset and a swap to a revelation will save you about 1lb off the bike assuming the lyrik is air. Almost 1.5lbs if you're swapping coil lyrik to revelation. You'll also drop the BB height by almost 6mm and get to keep the slacker HA. Sounds like what you're after.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There's a whole thread here from 2009 that WilliamK set about short shocking the Blur LT.....even have my version hanging in the shed that my daughter rides.

It will change the character of the bike for the better, it was my in between bike.....that is from my old 4x to the TRc.....it's very worthwhile!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    There's a whole thread here from 2009 that WilliamK set about short shocking the Blur LT.....even have my version hanging in the shed that my daughter rides.

It will change the character of the bike for the better, it was my in between bike.....that is from my old 4x to the TRc.....it's very worthwhile!!!
    I concur!

OP: wanna see some pics?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Pics are always welcome.

It seems like between an angleset, offset bushings, short shock and different fork I can have any geometry I want. Right now the bike weighs a little over 31lbs. It's such a pig that I don't even want to pedal it uphill and I only ride it when I go downhilling. I've been riding my 140mm steel hardtail instead.

I'd really like to have the Blur down around 28lbs. Fork, wheels and tires should get me there. Maybe I'll end up keeping the Lyrik, I don't know yet. I'm laid up right now with a broken jaw so I've got plenty of time to think about it.

EDIT: I have read the whole "Petition SC for a new Blur 4x" thread. I saw where WilliamK short shocked his BLT, but he dropped the rear travel more than I'd like and with a 12.4" BB, my lower link wouldn't survive here in the rocky Northeast!