RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I want to change the way i tote blt2

Howdy:

I have a 2008 BLT2 that I carry on a Mont Blanc Barracuda roof rack but I have to deflate the front tire everytime I load it- 2-3x a week.

I'd like to switch to a rear over the spare tire rack. My question is, do you have to use that attachment that acts as a top tube to slide the bike over the rack's arms? Does anyone use a rear rack without using that attachment?

ATTACHMENT:

Amazon.com: Allen Tension Bar Bicycle Cross-Bar Adaptor: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks!

RACKS:

Spare Tire Bike Rack

Spare Tire Bike Carrier | Rhino-Rack | Spare Tire Mount Bike Rack - Spare Tire Mount Bike Racks

mtbr member
    My opinion (never used one, could be wrong) is that those top tube extenders look like a sloppy fit that will destroy a nice frame.

That rack looks like it has the tube cradles and straps that can rotate. If it does, rotate one to the 9oclock position and put the seat tube in it so the strap goes under the top tube seat tube junction. Then put the other one under the down tube. Then bungee both locations and secure the wheels somehow.

Know it sounds like a PITA, but that type of rack usually is, and I don't trust the straps(always use bungees also).

Good luck!

Warrior's Society
    Yup....the arm and cradle type racks are a PITA when it comes to FS bikes. Especially if it is a 2 or 3 bike holder and you are trying to put the bike on the most inboard location. I see plenty of people use them. Personally I am not a fan of the adapter bar due to it not working well with my set up.....bear bell under my stem and seat bag under my saddle.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Go with a hitch mounted tray system. If you're asking about an over the spare tire rack, I'm assuming you have some type of SUV/Jeep. It may be a bit more of an investment if you need to buy a hitch in addition to the rack, but it's worth it.

You'll never have to remove the front wheel (or deflate it).
    You'll never need to clear a space in the back seat.
    It won't matter what wheel size (29er, 26, 650b).
    It won't matter how crazy of a suspension design you have.

Name:  thule_916xt_bike_oc_10_m.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  16.8 KB

I use a Thule T2, but there are several different racks on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Go with a hitch mounted tray system. If you're asking about an over the spare tire rack, I'm assuming you have some type of SUV/Jeep. It may be a bit more of an investment if you need to buy a hitch in addition to the rack, but it's worth it.

You'll never have to remove the front wheel (or deflate it).
    You'll never need to clear a space in the back seat.
    It won't matter what wheel size (29er, 26, 650b).
    It won't matter how crazy of a suspension design you have.

Name:  thule_916xt_bike_oc_10_m.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  16.8 KB

I use a Thule T2, but there are several different racks on the market.
    I too was going to suggest this as the "gold plated" solution. LOVE my T2...prob the best rack system I've ever had (roof flavors of Yak and Thule)...way more aero than the room, and NOT a chance of driving bikes into low overhangs or garages.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I originally wanted a T2 but the price was too high. Bought something else and found that it didn't work well. Would have been better off just buying the right thing the first time. I eventually got the T2 and it was perfect. Heavy but perfect.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks guys - good suggestion. Rack looks great - not sure if it would work in my situation - have a Suzuki Grand Vitara and I park on the street in Pacific Heights area of San Francisco -I ususally just squeeze in wherever. - I'll check it out.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Check out North Shore Bike Racks...

North Shore Bike Racks