Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I saw the new V8

A Santa cruz guy was up in Whislter testing the new V8 while i was there. They will no longer be making a VP-free or really a replacement for it. I did not get a photo of the bike but it is a lot closer to the V10 than it is to the VP-Free. Personally i think it is mistake. I do not want a freeride/DH/Trail bike with an interrupted seat tube. Seems to me the V8 is just a diluted V10. No thanks. I will need to look elsewhere for my next do everything bike. He said to expect the bike out spring 2009.

mtbr member
    I saw it as well...definitely looks cool, had a maxle rear end and everything. Beautiful bike. I would be disappointed if there was no VPF replacement though...

mtbr member
    well at least one good thing will come about from the new V8, which is if you are a fan of the older style vpfree then you shouid be able to pick one up at a much cheaper price once the new model is out
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Santa-Cruz-VP-Fr...QQcmdZViewItem
    notice how this guy is claiming this free in an 07 with a 11/8 HS. 6 months from now this frame will be going for $800. Yippie

Actually, I LOVED my 05 free and it felt great in the nasty stuff, but I am getting excited about the new model. And since it will be new and cool and look like the V10, the sticker price will most likley be around the 2g mark regrettably. Gotta love the over-priced items these days
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    The mountain bike buying public as a whole are remarkably stupid. They buy what they are told to by the media.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Spy pix's please!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Got one!

Enjoy

Photobucket

just pretend it has a Lyric on the front
    The mountain bike buying public as a whole are remarkably stupid. They buy what they are told to by the media.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Glad I've still got my 06 VP Free. Makes me wanna build it back up even more now. The new prices are gonna be outrageous, not sure how they're gonna sell them at those prices.....but then if Trek and Speckelized can sell bikes at the prices they charge......
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I'm trying (and failing) to figure out why anyone would buy this bike instead of a Bullit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    I'm trying (and failing) to figure out why anyone would buy this bike instead of a Bullit.
    more travel, VPP. Would be a lot faster at downhilling (racing).

I hope they keep a lot of saddle adjustment, preferably a full length seat tube. Front dérailleur compatible. But better (dh style) geometry and more durable bearings.

mtbr member
    Makes sense to me - a lighter, nimbler, more useable V10 with all the benefits of VPP. Kind of a la Socom / M6. I'd buy one over a Bullit, if I had £4000...

mtbr member
    Boy, I just don't like that much at all? I still like my vp free better. Especially with the 8.5 X 2.5 rear shock. Who knows, maybe it will grow on people with time? Will be curious to see what it rides like though.....

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture036.jpg

All Mt, DH
    Quote Originally Posted by lonbalz
    Boy, I just don't like that much at all? I still like my vp free better. Especially with the 8.5 X 2.5 rear shock. Who knows, maybe it will grow on people with time? Will be curious to see what it rides like though.....

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture036.jpg
    Its interesting to see I'm not the only one running an 8.5 x 2.5 shock on my Free... and really like it that way. I dont know how interested I would be in a scaled down v10 (with short seat tube and all... ) What (I suspect) may happen is SC will release 2 bikes... a V8 for DH and an updated VPFree.... who knows, but I bet they will keep us guessing until the last minute...
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

After lookin' at the V10 on the SC site, http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/v10/ , I'm thinkin' this is a pic of the same bike. The pic in this thread looks like the V10 on the SC site, just a different shade of blue, easily done w/Photo-chop.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Umm, MWOH, I'm pretty sure Stylie is just pulling your chain with a pic of a blue V10 and some badly photoshopped V8 graphics... No pics of the real thing just yet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Really do need some pics of this now.
    Whilst we're on the VP-F thing, how many peeps running theirs with the shorter shock in the back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz
    Umm, MWOH, I'm pretty sure Stylie is just pulling your chain with a pic of a blue V10 and some badly photoshopped V8 graphics... No pics of the real thing just yet.
    aw, you got me

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm going to soon. After racing my free most of the season you can really feel under-steer compared to other bikes with lower bb height and slacker ha.
    Boycott Big Bear!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stylie
    aw, you got me

And still the suckas fell for it...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm running my CCDB at 8.75 x 2.5, i.e. the DHXa size. This yields 7.7" rear travel but keeps the stock geo. It's perfect for me.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2006 VPfree, 2003 Heckler, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I run short shock with 8" boxxer.... good for downhilling.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by miklorsmith
    I'm running my CCDB at 8.75 x 2.5, i.e. the DHXa size. This yields 7.7" rear travel but keeps the stock geo. It's perfect for me.
    Gotta agree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Franz

Yeah, yeah....he reeled me in, (using needle nose pliers to take fish hook out of lip).....hey, I'm in th' middle of moving two house holds...sue me......

Still glad I've got my old VP Free. Wish I had thought of doing what Mudd and miklorsmith did. The "next" CCDB I order will most likely be that size/stroke. Can't wait to see if they'll come out w/a fork....jus' might ditch my Zokies if they do.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete-G
    Really do need some pics of this now.
    Whilst we're on the VP-F thing, how many peeps running theirs with the shorter shock in the back?
    I'm in that boat. Feels great with the 2.5 and a 7" fork, and flat out flies with the lower setup. The stock VP-Free felt horribly tall.

I was hoping for a shorter chainstayed, lower bottom bracket, full seatpost, less chaingrowth and zerk fitted revision to the VP-Free. We'll see what comes out in a week or so. If the rumors are true, it looks like they are making the new bike more similar to our 2.5 stroke mod, which is fine and you just need to plunk down for a telescoping post. It's darn hard to design a full-post bike with good geometry, all that travel just doesn't fit in there without compromises. All bikes have compromises, you just gotta chose where they are - that's the hard part.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by miklorsmith
    I still don't get why you guys do this. Shorter travel without changing geometry doesn't seem to accomplish much. I guess if it feels good to you, that's all that matters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdogg
    A Santa cruz guy was up in Whislter testing the new V8 while i was there. They will no longer be making a VP-free or really a replacement for it. I did not get a photo of the bike but it is a lot closer to the V10 than it is to the VP-Free. Personally i think it is mistake. I do not want a freeride/DH/Trail bike with an interrupted seat tube. Seems to me the V8 is just a diluted V10. No thanks. I will need to look elsewhere for my next do everything bike. He said to expect the bike out spring 2009.
    Since when was it meant for trail riding?

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast