Just Ride !

I can only afford one ?

Looking to build a Bronson or a 5010 from frame up within the year . I ride mostly tight twisty trails with moderate climbs here and there and nothing really fast dh to right home about, and also a fair share of rock gardens . Wich one would be the better ?
    Mountain Biking in and around KC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Looking to build a Bronson or a 5010 from frame up within the year . I ride mostly tight twisty trails with moderate climbs here and there and nothing really fast dh to right home about, and also a fair share of rock gardens . Wich one would be the better ?
    I would do a 5010, climbs better than the bronson and is still pretty peppy downhill its also a very fun bike. I would choose a nomad over a bronson since the bronson just seems to climb a bit better than the nomad and the nomad descends a lot better than the bronson. The 5010 is also a little more poppy than the bronson.
    Last edited by pcasso87; 02-08-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Trail Ninja
    I, owner of 4 bikes according to sig, feel that my opinion that I use to convince myself in significantly large financial decisions matters to someone who can only afford 1 frame. *satire*

More seriously though, I agree with what he said. The main difference is in the shock. Would need more info to really offer any better advice. A big heavy guy that feels inline shocks hold them back might find that a Bronson is their ideal trail bike, for example.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    What are you riding now?

And out of all the bikes you've had, what ones have given you the most pleasure?

Both are great bikes, and on paper, they're not worlds apart. But we don't ride on paper, so I can understand the question.

Grumps

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    What are you riding now?

And out of all the bikes you've had, what ones have given you the most pleasure?

Both are great bikes, and on paper, they're not worlds apart. But we don't ride on paper, so I can understand the question.

Grumps
    Right now , im riding a 2003 spesh Enduro with RP23/Revalation 140mm suspension set up .fun bike but wanting to upgrade to a 650b Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Right now , im riding a 2003 spesh Enduro with RP23/Revalation 140mm suspension set up .fun bike but wanting to upgrade to a 650b Santa Cruz.
    Looks like your spesh is right in the middle of the two as far as travel. 5010 is 130 and bronson is 150. Do you feel like your spesh is ok in travel for the terrain you ride or do you think you could use less or more? The 5010 is a fun bike but can be limited in bigger hits specially if you are doing big jumps or drops. I used to have a bronson and for the terrain i rode i felt it was too much bike for my local trails. I ended up getting a tallboy that has 120/100 and im faster pretty much everywhere on that bike since its lighter and just rolls so much faster. Bought a nomad for traveling and its great for bike parks or enduro style riding where you climb a lot but bomb descents. Too much bike for my local trails except for just one that has 1200 feet of climbing and the descent is pretty gnarly.
    -2016 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    -2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    -2016 Transition Smuggler
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    Looks like your spesh is right in the middle of the two as far as travel. 5010 is 130 and bronson is 150. Do you feel like your spesh is ok in travel for the terrain you ride or do you think you could use less or more? The 5010 is a fun bike but can be limited in bigger hits specially if you are doing big jumps or drops. I used to have a bronson and for the terrain i rode i felt it was too much bike for my local trails. I ended up getting a tallboy that has 120/100 and im faster pretty much everywhere on that bike since its lighter and just rolls so much faster. Bought a nomad for traveling and its great for bike parks or enduro style riding where you climb a lot but bomb descents. Too much bike for my local trails except for just one that has 1200 feet of climbing and the descent is pretty gnarly.
    Mine feels about right in travel for the most part , i definitely feel under wheeled a lot(26)and sometimes i wish i had more travel like the Bronson is . But i want a snappy bike like the 5010 is from reviews ive read . I know a lot of it comes down to rider skill but can the 5010 pretty much attack everything ?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Based on that, I'd probably lean to the Bronson. Maybe. Kind of.

The Bronson will give the travel and is not slouch.

My Bronson feels like it isn't using its travel, but the o-ring on the shock tells me otherwise. It rides efficient. Mind you, I've come off a Bullit which was a burly old girl that wallowed a bit, so anything would feel more spritely.

Despite my leanings, I still don't think it's a clear cut answer.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mine feels about right in travel for the most part , i definitely feel under wheeled a lot(26)and sometimes i wish i had more travel like the Bronson is . But i want a snappy bike like the 5010 is from reviews ive read . I know a lot of it comes down to rider skill but can the 5010 pretty much attack everything ?
    I test rode it on a more of a xc style trail and felt the 5010 was super poppy and fun even more than my bronson. From what i have heard the 5010 even with 130mm of travel feels very bottomless. I would do a 5010 if you want a fast poppy bike and just pick your like a little better on the descents. The bronson will be a little slower and less playful in the flat stuff and climbs but you can attack lines harder going down. I guess it will really end up being your riding style preference. Trust me you cant go wrong with either bike, they are amazeballs.
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Found a cool podcast that talks about suspension travel and how much you really need. Pretty good stuff:

Mountain Bike Suspension Explained | Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

backwoods and backwards
    That old Enduro of yours pedals like a bit of a sponge, not unlike Grump's Bullit ( yes, I spent time on the 04 for a bit). Very much like a small downhiller and less like a long travel trail bike.

Either of the models you're looking at will feel rocket quick by comparison. Based on the trails you describe, the 5010 sitting on a 150mm fork up front sounds perfect.

Pcasso87 isn't the only one I heard of thinking that the Nomad is a better performer/compromise than the Bronson. LOTS of guys love the Bronson, but I've known a bunch feel it just kind of misses the mark as the bully trailbike it's built to be.

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    That old Enduro of yours pedals like a bit of a sponge, not unlike Grump's Bullit ( yes, I spent time on the 04 for a bit). Very much like a small downhiller and less like a long travel trail bike.

Either of the models you're looking at will feel rocket quick by comparison. Based on the trails you describe, the 5010 sitting on a 150mm fork up front sounds perfect.

Pcasso87 isn't the only one I heard of thinking that the Nomad is a better performer/compromise than the Bronson. LOTS of guys love the Bronson, but I've known a bunch feel it just kind of misses the mark as the bully trailbike it's built to be.
    Would i be disappointed with a aluminum version of the 5010 ?

backwoods and backwards
    no way

Just Ride !
    Anyone have any experience with the old 2012 Nickel ? Got my eye on one for sale (frame + Fox shock $400) and do a 650b to it .

V-Shaped Rut
    Anyone have any experience with the old 2012 Nickel ? Got my eye on one for sale (frame + Fox shock $400) and do a 650b to it .
    Personally my thoughts on the nickel are that you're taking something that was the cheaper single pivot design from a few years back, *THEN* changing the geo some by 650b'ing it. I wouldn't do that.

For your purposes with only moderate climbs but rock gardens I'd lean towards the Bronson. I ride an AL 5010 and it's a great bike in many ways, but has some rear end chatter and deflection at speed through rock gardens. Nothing that will kill you, but it's there.