mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I broke my heckler

Some how I tend to break everything.

I have a 2008 heckler I got in april and have been riding it and loving every minute! Inspired to learn how to j-hop on flats by the Nomad - Can't get air thread I have been clearing progressively higher things starting with a news paper, then can of pop, Texas toast box and today an empty diaper wipes box. I've not had trouble clearing the first few but today was difficult for some reason.

After trying to clear the box without success a dozen or so times I take a break and come back out to try again. The first time trying to clear it I'm unsuccessful but I felt flex in the rear like my tire blew out. I keep coasting and look down and my tire's still inflated so then I bounce up and down, still feeling lots and LOTS of flex so I start to pedal so I can look at it in my garage and a 1/2 pedal stroke and I feel something stopping my crank.

At this point I'm like, damn, what the hell did I do?! I stop immediately and look down and my pivot is rubbing against my bash guard. Damn!

Here are pics. I took it to the local shop and they said it needed a new pivot bolt and that's it but I'm worried when they try to put it in the rear triangle will be bent or pivot holes ovalized or something will be cracked. Anybody else have this happed? I'm freaking glad this happened now instead of at 7 Springs this weekend!

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1002748rx1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks like the pivot shaft has come loose and started to fall out, you must of lost the allen keyed fastener of the other side ooops, tepinch bolts must have also come loose

I've just broke my 07 Heckler Pivot bearings have gone

Underweight Rider
    Oo...somehow your pivot shaft came loose, a broken pinch bolt maybe? OK this is gonna make me go out in the mornin and find a perhaps longer pinch bolt. I read in some other thread cases of pinch bolt snapped. Maybe SC will do something about this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had the same problem, and to me happened 10 miles in the woods. Local LBS just told me to tighten the two pinch bolts, but that didn't do the trick of course. I am waiting for 3 months now to get pivot axle cup from SC through my dealer here. Bearings seem still o.k. although one of them is slightly damaged. I got some longer bolt from hardware store and put it instead of the original short pivot cup nut. Just in case I did order ProPack but still waiting....

I do notice that rear is flexy, and pinch bolts and pivot cup need a fair amount of loctite to stay on bike for at least some time without tightening.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Upset

Sorry to hear about the problems people are having. As I keep thinking about it I'm getting more and more pissed off. This was supposed to be a bike that I could do light downhill / freeride with and all I've done is trail ride since I've had it. I just got my full face helmet in and was going to start hitting up the local dh spot this week and 7 springs this weekend. Could have really hurt myself if I wasn't just messing around at my house.

My confidence is definitely shaken.

banned
    So your pivot bolt broke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My pivot bearings failed but I've done around 3000miles, and last month I did 200miles of the gnarlyest riding I've ever done, :-) and itfeels like it has rained nearly every time I've ridden, good old UK weather. had them fixed 20

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    So your pivot bolt broke.
    What he said.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I agree, nothing major happened. Pivot is easy to replace, and we (proud Heckler owners) have only one to work on. This is lower maintenance bike compared to some, but still that doesn't mean that is maintenance free.

BUT, spares should be easily acquired, support willing to help, dealers knowledgeable. We pay premium price (in Euro case, Heckler for the price of Nomad).
    But hey, that's why we have forums like this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Maybe i'm over reacting but when I spend over 3k for a bike I expect it to work.

mtbr member
    I'd have to agree with PRizzle here. Although I have a Heckler that's been ridden hard for 5 years without a problem, I would have been mighty pissed if the thing snapped after a couple of months (even if it was just a pivot bolt).

Underweight Rider
    Ouch, in my world 4k+ build(current usd to local currency) is a small fortune and i expect it to last 'somehow' but being self conscience i DO check before AND every ride to protect my investment.

mtbr member

Common problem...

This is a common problem with the new Hecklers, and Santa Cruz knows about it. They will send you longer pivot bolts, as they think that is the problem, but I've seen the longer ones break as well. Best to simply keep a steady supply of the pivot bolts. I know, it sucks, but thats all you can do.

mtbr member
    Just the Heckler, or Bullits and Superlights as well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I broke both pivot bolts on my Heckler, looks like reading in other posts it is a fairly common problem Anyway at my LBS they couldn't take the bolts off the rear triangle and it must be shipped back to SantaCruz in California. Because of all of this I will stay without a bike for almost 1 month....

mtbr member

Don't know why..

Quote Originally Posted by orkaccio
    I broke both pivot bolts on my Heckler, looks like reading in other posts it is a fairly common problem Anyway at my LBS they couldn't take the bolts off the rear triangle and it must be shipped back to SantaCruz in California. Because of all of this I will stay without a bike for almost 1 month....
    I've only seen this on the Hecklers, not superlights or Bullits. I've had to remove 4 of them, one time even with the longer bolts installed (by someone else). Its not easy to do, if the bolt is in there a ways, but it can be done without sending it back to SC.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I've only seen this on the Hecklers, not superlights or Bullits. I've had to remove 4 of them, one time even with the longer bolts installed (by someone else). Its not easy to do, if the bolt is in there a ways, but it can be done without sending it back to SC.
    Did it with an EZ-Out on a bike at the shop a couple weeks back. Took a while, but it worked eventually.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by orkaccio
    Just cut the bolt into sections using a dremel.

mtbr member
    It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And you're gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.