likes bicycles

How's this Heckler?

I had my bike stolen pretty recently. Squeezed a little money out of my insurance company, and now I'm lookin at new rides. I found this Heckler and was wondering what some of you other Heckler owners thought.

I'd say my riding style is aggressive xc (this could have a lot to do with the fact that I was riding a XC hardtail). I'm starting to develop more of a liking to the drops and jumps and can certainly see my riding shifting more in that direction. I occasionally go to a medium sized DH mountain in the area, and would like to use this bike. But I will always like to pedal! Pictures are worth 1000 words:

From Hunter Mountain 2008-08-24

From Moose Pond/Scoharie County 2008-09

My main concern with the build is the suspension components. The Fox Float R does not have a Pro Pedal platform. From what I understand, one of the single pivot design's major flaws is it's susceptibility to pedal bob. Room for concern?

Also, is the Tora a solid enough fork for the rigors of downhills, drops, and jumps?

mtbr member
    Hey again i was the one to post the link on your previous thread about the heckler from cambria bike.

I like what you leaning towards the heckler is awsome.

So about the suspension. keep in mind the heckler pedals great no matter the shock setup.

The tora is a decent budget qr "AM" fork. If you decide to go with the heckler d am kit a future fork upgrade should be considered but i think youll find that the tora will suit your needs for the time being.

The rear sock is certainly a good shock pro pedal or not. Yes the is noticeable pedal bob but nothing too bad. I have had a few different single pivot bikes most recently a slayer sxc 70 and I had both an rp23 and a dhx 4.0 air and used the propedal once or twice ...the shock felt smoother through the stroke and pedaled just fine.

just do it youll love every moment

mtbr member
    I bought this same bike from CBO about two months ago. I absolutely love it!! only concerns i have is with the Juicy 3's, they work great but howl like crazy. Gonna upgrade those first. The Float R pedals just fine. I was hesitant about no propedal but have no issues at all at climbing. Great bike, I am glad I bought it.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Can't go wrong with the stock build, the Heckler is a great bike, I had the older model.

I would just ask what the cost would be to upgrade the fork (Revelation) and the shock (DHXC or RP23). I believe most Heckler riders not concerned with weight prefer the DHXC.

You may find the upgrade cost now will be much cheaper now then buying later.

Keep us posted.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Spacoli, good point. I sometimes wish I would have upgraded when i bought the bike but it was just too much to fork out at the time, now I upgrade slowly. The bike is a great bike with the D AM kit, it just goes from great to amazing with better components. If you can afford it, go better. CBO will upgrade bikes I believe, its worth a try to call them.

cps
    http://vaselina-mbc.blogs
    Mar 2008
    i had the same dilema last summer and at the end i decided for a heckler r am kit, because upgrading (brakes, front shox, r deraileur among other things) will cost much more than the initial price. put some 300 miles on it, no problems what so ever, the bike is getting better and better. tomorrow first race with heckler, 30 miles of climbs, single track and some awesome downhilling.
    you can not go wrong with the heckler, go for it, but consider the r am built, good luck

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory
    I bought this same bike from CBO about two months ago. I absolutely love it!! only concerns i have is with the Juicy 3's, they work great but howl like crazy. Gonna upgrade those first. The Float R pedals just fine. I was hesitant about no propedal but have no issues at all at climbing. Great bike, I am glad I bought it.

Aww this is good to hear. What kind of trails do you generally ride? More XC oriented or FR/DH?

I sent cambria an email and it's $92 to upgrade to the RP 23. i'll have to ask about the DHX5 coil. I know nothing about the feel of a coil shock, but they sure look bangin.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232
    Aww this is good to hear. What kind of trails do you generally ride? More XC oriented or FR/DH?

I sent cambria an email and it's $92 to upgrade to the RP 23. i'll have to ask about the DHX5 coil. I know nothing about the feel of a coil shock, but they sure look bangin.
    Sounds good, don't forget to check on fork (Revelation) upgrade. The $92. sounds reasonable for the RP23, much better than trying to buy one later at triple the cost.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    I usually ride fast AM with rocky, rutted, steep descents and fast singletrack. The only thing is that you have to go up to get to any of it, so that means long uphills which is no problem on my Heckler! Thinking about upgrading to the DHXC, any thoughts on its climbing abilities? I know its probably worth it going down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory
    Thinking about upgrading to the DHXC, any thoughts on its climbing abilities? I know its probably worth it going down
    I love mine, but a propedal lever would be nice instead of the dial. Not sure if they can do that with a coil, but it sucks to have to turn it 15 clicks from one end to the other. I guess that gives you more adjustability though. But it seems that I usually only use 3 settings: full on, full off, or halfway in between.
    2008 Heckler

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc
    I love mine, but a propedal lever would be nice instead of the dial. Not sure if they can do that with a coil, but it sucks to have to turn it 15 clicks from one end to the other. I guess that gives you more adjustability though. But it seems that I usually only use 3 settings: full on, full off, or halfway in between.

But honestly, it takes an extra what... twenty seconds? I can't imagine it making that much of a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the performance more than makes up for those few seconds?

I feel like if I were to go with the Heckler I would set the propedal for those XC rides and just leave it on. Then, when I'm hitting some shuttle runs or some lift serviced stuff I would shut it off and tear it up. Is this pretty much your method?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just go a 08 Heckler with an RP23 about 2 months ago. I am still tinkering somewhat with the suspension setup. With the recommended air pressure (175 psi for 200 lbs rider) I find that I prefer no propedal, favoring added traction and compliance. At 175 psi I'd only use propedal if i was climbing the road, and even then it's not needed for a seated climb. However at 175 psi the shock isn't quite as plush for DH as I'd like. More recently I've been experimenting with lower air pressure (~160 - 165 psi) with the use of propedal level 2 for climbs. In this setup the rear is super super plush for DH but the propedal is needed for climbs. I'll still flip the propedal off when climbing more tech stuff since the added squish helps get over obstacles. I was dubious of the air shocks at first but the beauty of the RP23 is you can tune it to trail your hitting that day.

mtbr member
    I'm talking for those xc rides that are up and down, if it was a lever, you flip it off and the top of the hill, and just before the ascent, you flip it back on. Kind of a pain to turn a dial and try to ride, especially when you are out of shape like me and don't want to lose any momentum going uphill.
    2008 Heckler