RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How soon did you need to replace pivot hware on your VP-Free?

What type of riding were you doing too? Just curious to see how much maintenance goes into this bike.

mtbr member

little ?

do you own a VP-Free or just checking into it...?

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I own one, and curious to see how soon they need service depending on th etype of riding. I'll be racing mine. I heard they need quite a bit of service, but want to ask people with experience instead of second hand info.

All Mt, DH
    I think there is some hype here as I have a Free since late 2004. I cant tell exactly hours I've done on it. I've gone through a chain (worn out) and at least 4 soft compound tires (rear)
    I dont wash my bike that often its not too muddy here.

I have taken the pivot axles out twice for checking / greasing. Both times I did this the bearings seemed fine.

I would say greasing the pivots is very important... every 2 to 6 months ( and while doing that check the bearings too).

All going well it takes about an hour to grease all pivots and reassemble.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    I would say greasing the pivots is very important... every 2 to 6 months.
    about every 8 months, i have to service my lower link (upper link is fine). but the conditions i ride in are very abusive and dusty, almost all rock gardens. i'm finding that the issue isn't the bearings, but the axle to link interface. dirt gets in there and makes noise. just needs to be cleaned and lubed.
    i think i have a quick fix: pack the lower link full of grease and use metal duct tape (not the threaded kind, but actual metal tape) to close of the ends of the link.
    the vpfree is such a sick bike, it's worth the extra TLC.
    Last edited by sriracha; 02-23-2006 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

I also am concerned about maintenance on a vp have heard some iffy reports of rear ends becoming noisey and loose! and as i ride in the uk (nt so lucky as u guys nice weather) feel this cold be more of an issue with our weather!

mtbr member

well.!!

I had a Vp-Free in Iraq for about a year, I had no problems with the pivot points, when I came back I had them replaced ad my LBS just to be sure. now I own another Vp-free frame that belonged to one of my riding buddys he's a crazy hucker so I had the bearings replaced as well, I ride about 4 times a week and it is winter here, we abuse our bikes an I have not had any problems.. my Mechanic have told me tho, that the pivots will squeak if not tight properly. I had have no problems with none of my bikes.
    overall it is a really strong bike that will last a long time.