mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How low can you go with a TBc?

Wondering how light some folks can get their TBc (1)? What is your spec to get it to a low weight? Thanks.

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011
    I haven't been able to get mine below 26 lbs. I use carbon bar ends/cage. XT trail pedals. Just moved up to EA 90 XC rims/tubeless Ground Controls. Fast roller/great climber. But now up to 27 lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you look through the photo threads for the TBc from a couple of years back, you'll see a number of them down in the 23 lb. range with weight weenie builds. The SC website lists the XX1 build at 22.7 lbs. with the 100mm fork, and around 25 lbs. for the XT level build. This sounds "optimistic" to me since my XT-level build with 120mm fork and lighter Crest wheels weighs about 26 lbs.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Mine is almost 27 lbs. XL, bone stock SPX kit (all XT stuff) fox 120 fork. A buddy of mine claims he dropped 2 pounds by removing the front triple and going 1x10.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011
    That could be. I'm running the stock SPX kit and the 120 Fox. I really like the triple though so I'm not willing to give that up for a weight loss at this point. I'm looking at some carbon hoops down the road. That, however, will probably be offset by the dropper seatpost I want to add! Oh well, guess I can't ' have my cake and eat it too'!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    Mine is almost 27 lbs. XL, bone stock SPX kit (all XT stuff) fox 120 fork. A buddy of mine claims he dropped 2 pounds by removing the front triple and going 1x10.
    2 chain rings, derailleur, and a shifter does not weigh 2 pounds. Maybe not even 1 pound.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When I had my TBc (size L) I ran a full XX group with Easton Haven carbon wheels and Specialized S-Works ground control and fast trak tires and I got that bike down to 22.7 pounds. The rest of the build was Specialized toupe pro saddle, masterpiece seatpost, haven carbon bars, ec90 stem, esi foam grips.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    2 chain rings, derailleur, and a shifter does not weigh 2 pounds. Maybe not even 1 pound.
    Its a different crankset, he didn't just remove the rings. Plus cable and housing. He claimed 2 pounds, and its close. Its lighter than mine, and mines an XL vs his XXL.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

TBc weight

I guess it's a WW build(?), but mine was right at 23.5 lbs as pictured. Currently it is just a little under <23 lbs after going 1X setup.

How low can you go with a TBc?-tallboy-2013-2.jpg

dwt
    mtbr member

How low can you go with a TBc?

How low can you go with a TBc?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375563187.248286.jpg

Wheelset with Crest rims, Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, and RoRo TLR tires (run tubeless of course) really helped with this
    Edit. M frame, XT build
    Last edited by dwt; 08-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    my medium 2013 xtr trail kit w reverb, big lock-ons, enves / dt240s, havon carbon bars, 120 fork, xtr pedals and lots of thick frame protection is 25.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    2013 XL FLOAT 32 120 CTD Fork and Float CTD shock, XX drive train, XO trail brakes 180/160, the new Bontrager RXL wheels set up tubeless with Conti Race kings (protection), Fizik Tundra 2, Ritchey carbon trail seat post, Ritchey C260 Stem, Ritchey WCS 9D bar, Ergon GS1-S grips, Time XC8 pedals, 24.1lbs

Didn't try to make it the lightest out there but tried to build it for the way I want to ride it.