Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How I mounted a Rockshox Reverb on an LT2

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  psychof 
#1 · (Edited)
This is how I routed the Rockshox Reverb seat post hydraulic line on a large LT2 without having to shorten the 1300mm hose length. I followed the path of the down tube versus the top tube. The real trick is gettng the coil in the hose "timed" right to where the slack hose will not hit the rear tire with the suspension and post fully compressed. The RS hydraulic hose is surprisingly light, which also makes it a bit difficult to work with. It's simliar to the feel of working with plastic tubing versus the more traditional heavier brake lines. The entire unit weighed 520 grams on my scale. Nice fall day here, I should be able to get out for a good test ride.

Edited: Back from the ride; I was unaware of the hose the entire ride; no post-ride tweaking to do. To early for a review, but my initial impression has no where to go but down; It's now about reliability, and will it continue to perform day after day without getting sloppy or erratic. Some rainy day, I may experiment with routing the hose along the lower portion of the top tube.

Picture #1 shows the hose line routing following and piggy-backing the zip-ties for the rear hydraulic brake line. (Post is compressed about 2" in this picture).

Rockshox included 3 of these cool swiveling cable ties that allows me to keep the rear brake line and seat post hose mated to each other.

I tried several placements of the hose routing piece (see between the seat tube and left stay) and eventually used in this location to assure the hose would not extend back toward the rear tire (or stick out where it would hit my leg) when the post was fully compressed.

Right-hand actuator mounted. It must be completely depressed before seat post will move.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the routing info, I thought I had too much hose. I decided to place the R hand remote upside down on the left side, so I can tip the bike upside down and rest it on the handlebars, and it seems that I shift more with the right hand so thought it would be too much for me to think about. Especially if I am chewing gum...

#5 · (Edited)
Check out the latest "Adjustable Seatpost Thread" in the "All Mountain" forum; Lots of discussion the past several days on the Reverb. I too plan to mount my actuator on the left under the bar to avoid damage. Also looking at a top tube route versus the down tube. I believe the whole routing issue will be easier once the hose relaxes a bit from the initial shipping coil.

I've also decided to pull the seat post up in the mount to attach it to the work stand versus clamping to the upper tube. Just too big of risk here...

#6 · (Edited)
Reverb: Re-Route under the top tube

Under the top tube, zipped tied (3 places) to front derailleur cable (I use jagwire so there is no exposed derailleur cable). I had to drop the shock from its front mount to route the hose.
I was able to shorten the hose by 8". There is 2" of clearance from the hose to the back tire with shock/post fully compressed. Path of the cable is vertically down (opposed to outward).

In the second picture, the Z's represent the location of the zip-ties; the 'G' is the location fo the cable guide RS supplies.

Attachments

#7 ·
MarkHL said:
Under the top tube, zipped tied (3 places) to front derailleur cable (I use jagwire so there is no exposed derailleur cable). I had to drop the shock from its front mount to route the cable.
I was able to remove 8" of hose. 2" of clearance from the hose to the back tire with shock fully compressed. Path of the cable is vertically down (opposed to outward).
That is how I mounted mine. Except I used electrical tape to attach the hose to the front derailleur cable and rear brake hose. Now that I have it figured, I may use some heat shrink. I haven't yet mounted it under the bar on the left. I can't tell if I will like it.

#9 · (Edited)
psychof said:
How did you mount the seat clamp? The intended way is with zero-setback. I would require some setback and from the pictures I would say that it's possible to mount it "the other way" around. Your post looks like that, but maybe it's not. Here a picture to illustrate what I mean.
I assembled it in the orientation on the left.
RS put a directional arrow on each mating piece, both are pointing forward. Rotating the upper mating piece would have no effect on setback. We may be confusing terms. I believe setback refers a theoretical centerline parallel and to the rear of the seat posts centerline where it intersects the center of the lower clamp. The distance between the centerlines is the setback.

However, I agree the picture looks like there's a minor amount of setback between the post and lower clamp. The upper post is only 25mm in diameter, it may be creating an optical illusion.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Well, whatever you call it, mounting the clamp the other way would allow the saddle to be a little more back. That's what I need. I currently have Bontrager post with 5mm setback and that's already at the edge, can move my saddle more to the back. The optical illusion comes from the fact that the photo doesn't exactly show the saddle from side. The photo is taken from the front side, so there is a rotation.

I've already had Reverb in my hands and it looks like it would be possible. But as you said, the arrows indicate that it's not supposed to be used that way. A real pity, as the Reverb seems to be great. So i might have to go for a Specialized Command... :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.