The Road Warrior

How hard is it to get a Heckler?

So
    I've been doing my homework on Santa Cruz's and a few other brands (Specialized, Ventana, etc), and have decided that I've heard the best reports about the Heckler (complete build with X9) running at $2799. The only thing that bugs me is what I've read on here about ridiculously long delivery times. If I ordered one in say July, how soon do you think I could get it? Do you think they'll run out of Hecklers by then, like what happened with the VP free? Does anyone know when they start the next model years? Will I get my hopes up and then shrivel away when there's a fat red lettered sign on the SC website saying "sorry, we're gimps because we didn't make enough of our own bikes, and are now knowingly losing money because we're stupid" or something like that? If you know something I don't about this bike compared to Ventana X-4's, Stumpjumpers, or whatever else, I'd like to hear it... I know that this bike is running me some serious cash and I don't want to burn my wad on something bad. From what I've read, the Heckler seems like the best thing going. If I have to, I'll drive to Santa Cruz myself and pick the damned thing up, too. Hahahahaha. Look at my old bike and consider it a sympathy plea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LandSpeed; 05-30-2007 at 02:33 AM.

mtbr member

The answer... it depends....

If you are looking at the new heckler, yes, you might have a wait on your hands, especially if you want powdercoat. (They are doing the ano first). If you are looking at the classic Heckler, you can find them still in stock at shops right now. We have 1 medium in gang green, but everyone seems to want the new style, even if there's a 6-8 week wait.

They won't run out of hecklers, they ramped production up just for that reason.

MRC
    Australien
    Jan 2004
    Yep, depends on the colour you want. I could have gotten a PC red one on the spot, at a discount, but waited 9 months for an ano black one instead. Crazy? Yes. Worth it? Yes. All depends on how fussy you are :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A black PC came into my LBS yesterday - too bad my PC Orange frame wasen't with it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just don't be picky on the color choice and it'll probably speed everything up. I found a Heckler in a shop that was my size and pulled the trigger after one ride around the block. Didn't matter what color. Could've been crap brown. Actually that would probably be a nice looking bike. I will admit that I was extremely lucky for them to have the exact build I was considering right there in the shop. In any case, I'm loving it right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Why should I not be picky about colour? I ordered an Orange frame because that is what I want. Is it picky and shallow, maybe, but that's just the way I am

nerfherder
    I think the point is, if you're picky, fine, no worries. Just be prepared to wait. If you're not picky, then fine, no worries, you'll likely get a frame faster. To each their own.

Butcher
    I was told yesterday by my LBS that today would be the day they would have an answer on delivery of my new Heckler. I went into the shop and spoke with the owner who told me his SC rep informed him that the shipment which contains my bike arrived and will begin distribution tomorrow. I asked for an arrival date for my bike and he told me late next week. I reminded him that while my preferred color is black, I really don't care as long as I get it before my B-day (mid-June).

This is the first time he has truly commited to a firm delivery date. If it's not here next week, I will begin exploring other options (LIke a Giant, Kona, or Specialized). But I'm confident it's gonna be here next week. Well... kinda' confident. OK... hopeful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Heckler frames in stock!

I just checked out Speedgoat and they apparently have a few sizes and colors of frames in stock ready to ship. I'm just reporting what I saw on their website. Hmmm...I ride a medium...

Members who have read this thread: 0