mtbr member
    Feb 2008

how do the single pivots actually ride? - intrigued by the new heckler and and bantam

Curious -

how do these bikes actually perform? being TRUE single pivots and realizing i like the way my 4bar performs better than some multi/virtual pivots i've ridden - they look to be intriguing and will def demo against the others im looking at as well

any real world feedback from owners/riders would be great

Golden Bears United
    More specific question: has anyone had experience with both single-pivot and VPP and preferred one over the other? If so, why?

For a suspension noob like me, I like the way the Solo and Tallboy pedal more than the Superlight29. They "feel" lighter, even though the scale says otherwise. It may have been all due to the suspension design.

Now, we have a new Bantam--supposedly like the Solo in every way except for the suspension design and price. Since I won't likely be able to try the Bantam and compare it with the Solo for a few more months, some insights into the suspension difference would be helpful.

Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've had both a 2011 Heckler and a 2011 NomadC, and right now I own a 2012 Blur LT (with 650b wheels) and a 2013 Superlight 29, so I feel fairly qualified to compare the two. I ride the Blur LT 90% of the time, with the SL mostly as a backup and a bike my wife rides.

To me, it comes down to the smoothness of the suspension. When I ride the Superlight and Heckler, the suspension feels a lot "bouncier" and not as supple. Both the Blur LT and the NomadC feel a lot smoother in just about all terrain out here in CO. When climbing, the difference (to me) isn't as noticeable, but you can still tell a little bit that the single-pivot isn't quite as supple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I've had both a 2011 Heckler and a 2011 NomadC, and right now I own a 2012 Blur LT (with 650b wheels) and a 2013 Superlight 29, so I feel fairly qualified to compare the two. I ride the Blur LT 90% of the time, with the SL mostly as a backup and a bike my wife rides.

To me, it comes down to the smoothness of the suspension. When I ride the Superlight and Heckler, the suspension feels a lot "bouncier" and not as supple. Both the Blur LT and the NomadC feel a lot smoother in just about all terrain out here in CO. When climbing, the difference (to me) isn't as noticeable, but you can still tell a little bit that the single-pivot isn't quite as supple.
    You keep your suspension engaged on climbs? I lock mine out most of the time when I know I'll be climbing for a bit (i.e. fire roads).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Have a TB and a superlight 26" , the SL has a very smooth feel to it in my opinion, It is probably not as stiff under pedal torque but it's still a damn good riding bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    You keep your suspension engaged on climbs? I lock mine out most of the time when I know I'll be climbing for a bit (i.e. fire roads).
    I have the Fox Float CTD kashima boost valve rear shock on my Blur LT (took it off a Yeti SB-66) and on long climbs, I put it in "climb" mode; however, it's not truly locked out like my Superlight's CTD is. It's more plush and absorbing rather than having the true locked-out feeling, which is nice because most of the longer climbs I do still have a decent amount of rocks.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Special eyes View Post
    Have a TB and a superlight 26" , the SL has a very smooth feel to it in my opinion, It is probably not as stiff under pedal torque but it's still a damn good riding bike.
    Good to know. I missed out getting an alum TB frame on the online site and picked up a 26" SL. Going to build a 650 Superlight SmallBoy!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a SL with a Pushed RP23(trail tune) and the RWC bearing kit. I own a DW link Turner(Monarch Plus) bike as well and the SL blows it away on the small bumps. Going to sell the Turner and get a new Heckler.
    Last edited by Bigrocks; 08-31-2013 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Keep in mind that most of the SP builds come with a much lower end shock, while the vpp bikes come with a high end shock. You cannot compare the two suspensions directly unless the shocks are the same quality. Just because it says Fox on it, doesn't mean it's valved the same.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    I think it's not if the climbs are long or short, but what type of terrain. I usually never lock my shock (only when new), but if the terrain is pretty smooth and no gravel or dust I understand locking the suspension, if there's lot of rocks or ruts or gravel I find that leaving open the shock provide better traction.

mtbr member
    I have a sl 29 and a solo I think if you fiddle with either 1 you can make yourself happy but i also think the vpp is a little better in rocks as it moves back a little bit first. Really it comes down to tuning or having the shock revalved to do what you want. I do like the solo better for its geometry I think the solo feels more neutral.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think you can only compare the different bikes if they have the similar weight and the tires the same cause tires do change a bike a lot even the same bike. I rode many years a single pivot bike that was the heckler , it was and still is a "honest" and very good bike it got that sharp acceleration cause the bike suspension just sit a little higher,it's a very capable bike too,the vpp it's just a little smother don't have that resistance to small impacts if it is better ........well in some points it is but only when you are pushing it

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Its hard to compare, I was in this situation a few months back. I was coming off a Giant ReignX and ended up buying a new heckler(last of the 26"). Everything I read said I would suffer bob, brakejack, flex and yadayadayada, but so far the heckler has been a better bike, mostly due to the geo I'm sure. What I can say is I find VPP bikes rather dead feeling. The Heckler feels much more connected and is superior on takeoff lips or drops, whereas the Reign sat in its travel and would take a bit more to engage, often leading to nose landings. With regards to brakejack, I haven't noticed, not like riding an old Kona, they were shite for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ I agree 100%, and it's not because I'm a Santa Cruz fanboy. I had a Reign at the same time as the Heckler, and I thought the Reign felt "dead" compared to the Heckler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Going to build a 650 Superlight SmallBoy!
    You should call it the bBoy.

I Ride for Donuts
    Great thread.... I'm trying to decide between a Solo and a Bantam. I won't have this kind of cash to drop on a new bike for several years, so I want to make the right choice for me... I think the simplicity of the single pivot and the "connection" feeling that some describe have me leaning towards the Bantam. Do you guys think it's fair to read reviews on the new Heckler and assume that other than the amount of travel, the behavior will be similar to the Bantam?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)