mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How to ‘Soften’ suspension on a Juliana for a very light rider?

We have been trying to find a suitable 26” FS bike for my young daughter who has pretty good technical skills and spends a few days a year in the Bike Park (and loves it, even on a HT 24”). After a bit of searching, it seems that the smallest Juliana might work. The only concern is that the suspension still seems a little stiff for her light weight (70lbs when wet), even when much of the air is removed (leaving less travel, etc.). Does anyone have any ideas (with cost implications) of how we would be able to adjust this bike to work for her? (Is it simple adjustments to the shocks or total replacement, etc.)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My wife has a Juliana, from the factory the Julianas Float already has the lowest compression tune, it's labeled on the side of shock near the canisters bottom. Seems like you would have to send it to Push Ind. Or a suspension tuner. Push I think has prices on there website

mtbr member
    OP: may have to add mass...as in make her ride w/ a Camelbak? Yeah, it'll mess w/ CG, but...
    So, you need to change where her shock is sitting on the air spring curve. Is her shock w/ the HV air can? You can get an attachment to the air valve that'll increase the air volume: Fox air forks - Modifying volume to get full travel?
    Making the shock more supple helps too...Kash coat and needle bearing comes to mind. If damping's too heavy, then it's time for a custom tune. The other thought is to go to a Monarch...they're really smooth and you can get custom tune stacks. But I wonder if even those would be damped to heavily. No idea if you can pull one apart to do your own custom tune...might be worth looking into.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮