Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hope brakes

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  galbyripper 
#1 ·
My Blur currently needs new brakes and CRC currently has some sick deals for some Hope X2 brakes. However the only available right now are front brakes.

Was wondering does anyone here have any experience with Hope brakes? was thinking of purchasing two front brakes and just changing the cable so that i can use it for the rear. Is this possible?

#2 ·
there is no front or rear brake.
they are the same.
just different length for the brake lines.

generally you cant go wrong with hope.
not the strongest brakes on earth, but very nice modulation.
and the finish is just damn sexy. ;)

#3 ·
juvebiker said:
My Blur currently needs new brakes and CRC currently has some sick deals for some Hope X2 brakes. However the only available right now are front brakes.

Was wondering does anyone here have any experience with Hope brakes? was thinking of purchasing two front brakes and just changing the cable so that i can use it for the rear. Is this possible?
I had a set of Hope Mini's, the oirginial version for 10 years. After 7 years I had them rebuilt at the factory and they were perfect again. I love them. They had the best modulation of any brake I had ridden. They weren't quite as powerful as some of the new brakes. But the X2's are far newer and should be as good if not better.

#4 ·
Running M4s on one bike and minis on another. fantastic brakes.

hball is right, calipers are the same and the levers can be switched left or right as they have resevoir caps on both sides. The only difference is the hose length so you'll need to put a longer hose on the rear.

You'll also need to get the right type of adapter for the rotor size you choose and to fit the bike mounts, either post or IS.

Chain reaction doing 10% off at the moment so a real bargain.

#5 ·
Another vote for Hope brakes here as well- they feel better than any other brake I have had: I have had most of the big players and I have found them not the best in terms of power, but far from the worse. Modulation is great and they are made for the long haul.

Have to go check out the chain reaction sale....

#7 ·
My vote for Hope too. I use Hope Mono mini 2007 180/160 in the Epiphany and Hope M4 200/180 in the Nomad C.

Plenty of modulation, power and control, with zero problems changing oil every 2 years. I normaly use the competition oil and synterized pads, which improved them even further, but no problems with normal oil or organic pad.

Of course there are ligther or powerfull brakes, but none of them with the beatiful look of the machined parts normaly seen in Hope, that can be combined with anodized parts.

Friend of mine using the X2 with no problems, but I don't have more experience then a car park ride on them.

In resume work very well with no problems for me, even if they are the not best in everything (if that exist) and look fine.

#10 ·
I have a set of M4 w/ the Tech art levers, and they are a dream to ride. Get them!

My other bikes are running the new Saint and XTRs, and the Hopes definitely have the best modulations by a LONG stretch, and they are not as powerful as the Saints, but I like my M4s the best out of all my setups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.