mtbr member

Highball...what's the 142 rear worth?

So I've been on the lookout for 29er HT and there are a two incomplete build Highballs in my size for sale locally. One is a '12 and the other is a '13 which is obviously more money. The only real dif as I can tell is the 142x12 rear. As this will be my first HT bike since the early 80's I need a bit of advise. What is that worth on a carbon HT?

Thoughts from Highball or carbon HT owners would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Depends what wheel set you have/want and compatibility of the rear hub to run a dt rws 135x10mm thru axle. I've never noticed the difference between 10x135 and 12x142 on the carbon highball or tallboy. The extra width is only there to aid 'self alignment' and allow you to sit the rear wheel in the frame before inserting the thru bolt - just like the qr system. If you're fine with holding a wheel in position while inserting a bolt you have just defeated most of the new improved features offered be the 142 axle. Check out this article 12 mm x 142 mm Axle Standard Explained - Pinkbike

My choice would be the cheaper frame, use dt rws and enjoy the extra $ saved or put them into upgraded components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the QR size of highball is 10x135 correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Pretty sure 142 vs QR makes little to no difference on a hardtail. Even with the VPP frames SC was saying for the longest time they didn't need a through axle as the rear triangle was already a single unit. The only real benefit to 142 for a Highball would be high end wheel selection in future as QR hubs may become less common.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input, you all kinda confirmed what I was thinking, I'm not looking to run a 1x11 drivetrain and have been happy with the RWS thru on another 29r. The two bikes are in different stages of completion but I'll make an offer on the older frame and put the cash in bits and pieces. Nice part is that I can switch some bits over from a current bike then sell the frame/fork. I'll post pics but I'm a notoriously slow builder.