mtbr member

Highball Carbon as a "do it all" trail bike?

Looking for all types of input on this.

What do you folks think about the Highball C as a "your one bike" type of bike? How about durability for all around riding? I ride 3-4 times per week, in all kinds of weather. Trails are really varied, too. We have swoopy fast XC, and chunk-o-rama. I currently ride all of that on my Rocky Slayer. The Slayer reallt is pretty good...especially at what it was deisgned for. But...I've owned a number of 29ers in the past, and the big wheel keeps calling me back. I do not race.

SO...that's where the Highball might come in. The prices are so good right now that the frame has caught my eye. I would run the bike with a 110mm fox fork. I would most likely run wider rims (28mm) with Ardents. I would go with a 1x9 set up. My vision is something of a Highball EVO (sorry for the term).

Based on my details here, do you think I should I be thinking more about the AL version?

THANKS!

mtbr member
    i do not have a highball but i read a lot of reviews when i was considering one and it sounds like your intended use might be a little outside what Santa Cruz designed the bike for.

the reviewers' consensus seems to be light, stiff and race ready hard tail. i am sure the frame would be strong enough unless you really go big but i am guessing you would be feeling a little beat up riding chunk on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I say go for it. I have 1 bike and it is the highball (just purchased) and I plan to ride it in all conditions. I had a previous 29er hardtail (non carbon) and rode it all year with no issues in a wide variety of terrain. The highball seems a little smoother and less chattery than my previous bike. Some people says it is only a race bike etc. But I think it is a great all rounder bike as well and it is just a huge bonus it is superlight and fast.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have had a variety of 29er HT and 3-4 different 29er FS rigs. Currently the Highball C is the only bike I have and I've ridden it on everything including really technical trails all over Colorado and Southern Utah, and it flat out rocks. I have been surprised what it can handle and how comfortable it is. Santa Cruz Carbon is so strong, I wouldn't worry about it for a minute unless you are doing some bigger drops. I have mine setup with a Fox 120 fork and the geometry is perfect, and I like how the hardtail just feels simple compared to my full suspension bikes. That said, I sold my Tallboy c earlier this fall and will have my LTc w/ XX1 ready to roll this spring.

Keep the Slayer for a while until you see how the Highball handles the extreme technical ends of your riding, but my gut feeling is you won't ride it much and eventually sell it.

Trail Junkie
    I'd say no personally. I love the Highball, its a great bike...but for a "Do it all" HT. I'd honestly go
    titanium. For long endurance races, I even prefer that over my Tallboy.

My Lynskey Pro29 is very similar to the Highball, but it has more BB clearance and the (SL) model, I can get the chainstays under 17". It also accepts a 120mm fork, and lifetime warranty.

The biggest and most important difference is that it's infinitely more comfortable than the Highball.
    This may be my subjective opinion, but maybe there are other out there that own a quality Ti. bike and have spent time on the Highball?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    THanks for the input folks. Thinking about it some more and weighing your inputs...I think I am going to pass on the Highball. That sale price is soooooo good though! ;-)

mtbr member
    I have a Highball C with a 120 float and have run a dropper post, with wide rims (i23), and fatter tires (hans dampf/NN) at one point; It's capable but not ideal. With that setup it weighed 27lbs with full XTR, so not light. The frame is great when used for its intended purpose but not the bike I grab for descending rougher, fast trails.

bog
    mtbr member
    Personally, I'd suggest snapping up a Tallboy from the Santa Cruz VPLS sale. You can still build it up pretty light and it'll take you wherever you want to go with more speed and comfort on the fun sections (singletrack and downhills in case you were wondering).

I have a Highball C and a Tallboy C and the Tallboy is my go-to bike for most of my riding. It is really fun and the aluminum version is a great value right now. Find a Revelation 29er for a good deal and you can have a great build.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Man if I had the scratch right now I would get a blur LTC next time it shows up on the sale site and build it 650b. That would be a badass do all rig