Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    CTD
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

highball build thread and pics

Just waiting for mine to be delivered.

Has anyone got theres yet? What do they think? And what kind of specs and weights are people building?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I picked up a medium matte frame and Fox fork this weekend. Probably going XTR 2x10. Going to take my time finishing this one but will post more details later.

Bikes!
    Looking forward to seeing some more of these built up
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Let's see how low on the weight scale you guys can get them

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Here's mine

swamped right now, haven't had a chance to post. I will spend some good time reviewing it and posting the build when i get a chance. The thing hauls ass. Seriously stable at fast downs, carves the tight twisties and did I mention fast?

A bunch of reviews said that it was so stiff (good) that they were worried about long term comfort. I've put in some rooty, rocky rides on it and it is compliant enough to were your butt doesn't hurt but it absolutely feels like it turns every ounce of effort out of your legs into speed. highlights on the build are the XTR brakes (trail) paid the weight penalty to get servowave, 2012 fox rlc, and 2x10 set up. Time will tell but my favorite brakes so far.

Switching to flat bar and negative rise stem to get the cockpit dialed in

So weight...size medium with big air can and harness on seat post, computer mount, 2 bottle cages, Time ATAC's and garmin sensor and serious brakes....21.8 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-img_0458.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-img_0457.jpg  

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    swamped right now, haven't had a chance to post. I will spend some good time reviewing it and posting the build when i get a chance. The thing hauls ass. Seriously stable at fast downs, carves the tight twisties and did I mention fast?

A bunch of reviews said that it was so stiff (good) that they were worried about long term comfort. I've put in some rooty, rocky rides on it and it is compliant enough to were your butt doesn't hurt but it absolutely feels like it turns every ounce of effort out of your legs into speed. highlights on the build are the XTR brakes (trail) paid the weight penalty to get servowave, 2012 fox rlc, and 2x10 set up. Time will tell but my favorite brakes so far.

So weight...size medium with big air can and harness on seat post, computer mount, 2 bottle cages, Time ATAC's and garmin sensor and serious brakes....21.8 lbs
    What an amazing bike, the more I see these coming through the more I want one!

I'm a big guy though, I like to ride hard with little skill so I'm wondering how one would fair up for me?...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

CTD
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Totally stunning bike dude. Im going with a similar set up on mine. Cant make my mind up whether to run fox 100s or 120s. What are you running?

Aiming to get mine under 21lbs if im lucky. Going to run enve stem, bars and seatpost. Undecided on wheelset at present, might go with enves built onto industry nine hubs but it depends on funds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks

Thank you,
    Went with the 100. Suits the bike nicely. Guess you could always go TALAS and flip between 95 and 120.
    This thing will build up sub 21 with some carbon thrown at it. I had a set of crests laced to 240's built up using sturdy comps and it was still a nice light build. i weigh 160 and they are stiff, don't notice any flex. The Rocket ron on the front is the bomb for SE terrain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Nice build and great looking bike. Thanks for posting. I'm about to build mine up. I also have a medium. I notice the setback post. How tall are you? Did you fit it to your knee over the spindle or do you just prefer the setback?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

was fitted

I'm 5'9" with a 33" inseam. Longer legs than torso. Plum lline and a pretty long fitting showed I definitely needed the set back.

This will also be the first time I'm changing my trusty cockpit set up from a zero degree 90mm stem with a low rise xc bar to a 100mm negative 10mm stem with a flat bar.

Trail Junkie
    I am just waiting to see the first Full XX, Edge wheels, and Lefty fork build.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

Let's ride SuperModerator
    18.54 with pedals.

Found a magic gear(30x20), but not quite high enough for me. Will fit a 31x19 next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-hblefty.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They are not mine but I thought that both deserved to be posted up. Custom builds from Airpark Bike in Scottsdale, AZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-img_0720.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-img_0721.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice bike Rensho. I am looking at one of these as my first 29er and have been thinking of doing it as an SS as well. How do you like the Highball in SS? It must be awesome, stiff, light and shoots forward no doubt? Let me know how it rides mate? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How are those frames in green and pink decals? - quite different than the two stock colors shown on SCB's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon2000 View Post
    They are not mine but I thought that both deserved to be posted up. Custom builds from Airpark Bike in Scottsdale, AZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah

Airpark Bikes makes all their own decals custom. They do them for any bike brand. It makes the bike more original. Individualizing the bike is kind of cool and it's nice to be a little different from everyone else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mine came in at an even 22lbs. I could shed at least a pound between tires, saddle, grips, and pedals but I won't. These are habits/comforts that I won't sacrifice plus I'm probably too heavy for ti pedals. I will post pics once the fit is done, but here are the specs so far:

Highball Medium
    Fox F29 100 RLC FIT Tapered QR15 Kashima
    Cane Creek 40 Headset
    Full XTR Drivetrain (40/28, 11-36)
    XTR Race Pedals
    XTR Brakes (previous generation) with Magoura Storm 160/180mm rotors
    Roval Carbon Wheels
    Specialized Captain Control 29x2.0 rear and Purgatory Control 29x2.2 front
    Enve Riser Bar
    Edge Carbon Post
    WTB Rocket saddle
    ODI Rogue grips
    Thomson stem (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    18.54 with pedals.

Found a magic gear(30x20), but not quite high enough for me. Will fit a 31x19 next.
    Got 2 rides in on the HBLefty.

It loves to climb, and it is smooooth. Rear seatstay bridge is a little tight with the RK 2.2 tire I run, so I hear some rocks hitting it.

Magic gear is 34x20 as well, but it is tight, so a stretched chain is needed. Given that a 30x20 is loose, and 34x20 is tight (different number of links of course), then the 31x19 is a dead on magic gear, along with a 29x17.

With a Lefty, the bar is about 1" too high for my liking.

3rd ride on the HB today.

I love that the BB is nice and stiff and the rest of the frame is pretty compliant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-photo-2-.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-photo-5-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    3rd ride on the HB today.

I love that the BB is nice and stiff and the rest of the frame is pretty compliant.
    I agree. I have about 100 miles or so on mine. It is very stiff under power and maintains traction on steep stuff better than any bike I have ridden. I was mentally preparing myself for a harsh ride and it's just not. It's no full suspension, but it's surprisingly compliant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

New question here. ? Rensho

- What about that Euro-Made BB with built-in eccentric? Can't remember the name....may add a couple grams but would give a little adjustment. Just a thought...

Nice Highballls ya'll!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    - What about that Euro-Made BB with built-in eccentric? Can't remember the name....may add a couple grams but would give a little adjustment. Just a thought...

Nice Highballls ya'll!!

This here.
    http://www.thebikebiz.com/Tr_ckstuff...-acc-tr!ck.htm
    I remember when they came out. Bux, but it does fix the issues.

Best gear for me is right around 34x20. When I get around to doing the 31x19, all will be good. That or I'll sell it and get a Niner Air9c to try.

mtbr member

Coming from full squish 26er, I don't find the ride harsh at all. Great bike. Couldn't be happier.
    BikesCarsRacing.net
    I'm here for a good time not a long time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Coming from full squish 26er, I don't find the ride harsh at all. Great bike. Couldn't be happier.[/QUOTE]

Sweet looking bike man !

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Light is Right

This is a new build and one of the best 29er hardtails I have ever spent my days riding trail on.
    Blows away the Superfly and is "point and shoot" like the Stumpjumper.

Build: 2x10 XO and XX (crankset), Fox RLC 29 Float fork, and FSA stem/bars, Crank Bros Pedals, two water bottle cages, Ergon Grips, No Tubes Race 29er Wheelset with ZTR Hubs
    the bike weighs in at 20.5 lbs.

Descending:The bike is very well balanced and very stable on the knarliest hairball chowdered trail you can find. Steep fast loose = No Worries

Climbing: like a goat. Again, well balanced and seems to gravitate up the trail. Running No Tubes wheelset with low pressure (24-26 psi) it flies uphill. Light is Right.

I have spent a year on a Superfly, and 1/2 a season on a Stumpjumper S-Works. This bike runs circles around both of these bikes and actually quite simply BLOWS THEM AWAY. Very pleased with its performance, THE HIGHBALL RIPS.

Ride ON!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-highball.jpg  

Last edited by TDubinator; 08-15-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast