Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

highball build thread and pics

96K views 319 replies 115 participants last post by  bosbik 
#1 ·
Just waiting for mine to be delivered. :D

Has anyone got theres yet? What do they think? And what kind of specs and weights are people building?

#25 · (Edited)
Light is Right

This is a new build and one of the best 29er hardtails I have ever spent my days riding trail on.
Blows away the Superfly and is "point and shoot" like the Stumpjumper.

Build: 2x10 XO and XX (crankset), Fox RLC 29 Float fork, and FSA stem/bars, Crank Bros Pedals, two water bottle cages, Ergon Grips, No Tubes Race 29er Wheelset with ZTR Hubs
the bike weighs in at 20.5 lbs.

Descending:The bike is very well balanced and very stable on the knarliest hairball chowdered trail you can find. Steep fast loose = No Worries

Climbing: like a goat. Again, well balanced and seems to gravitate up the trail. Running No Tubes wheelset with low pressure (24-26 psi) it flies uphill. Light is Right.

I have spent a year on a Superfly, and 1/2 a season on a Stumpjumper S-Works. This bike runs circles around both of these bikes and actually quite simply BLOWS THEM AWAY. Very pleased with its performance, THE HIGHBALL RIPS. :thumbsup:

Ride ON!

Attachments

#26 ·
updated cockpit, few more miles

A few hundred miles and I have been really pleased. The ride is super stable and the geometry feels spot on. The BB is low which make is a ripper, i just need to be a little more careful with the pedal strikes. I switched to a negative rise Thomson x4 and an enve flat xc bar and couldn't be happier. The new xtr is great but the brakes steal the show (XTR trail) Maybe most folks have tried 2x10 by now, but it is super sweet. crest wheels have been bomber and the lighter weight is noticeable over the same build with arch's (240'/supercomps) The new Kashima's are buttery smooth and I'm getting almost all of my travel while not diving like crazy on braking or bobbing while mashing out of the saddle. Relaly like the crank brothers foam lock on grips. If you're looking for good water bottle cages arundel's are the way to go. Light , inexpensive , vicelike grip and the easiest entry. Any way, love it. Want a xc race bike? fast trail bike? here you go. I maybe old school, but no FS design can match the aesthetic beauty of a well executed HT

Attachments

#30 ·
This one rides like a charm. Stiff but not harsh, which is great (something that some other carbon based frames are missing). Climbing is simply awesome! A great bike!

I am not in the best shape after nearly 6 weeks of no rides, etc. Yesterday I rode 52.5 KM, 680 meters of total climbing with average speed of 19 KM/H! My fastest on that particular loop.

My build:

Santa Cruz Highball size medium
Rock Shox Sid 29 XX with remote lock
Full SRAM XX
Stan Arch + American Classic Hubs
Ritchey WCS carbon handlebar and seat post, WCS aluminum stem (-17D)
Specialized romin saddle
XTR race pedals
Zefal water bottle cages (20grams each)

All comes to the amazing total of 9.66 Kg equals to 21.296 lbs (can loose some more weight on the build, but currently that's it).

Enjoy,
Ofir

Attachments

#38 ·
Ciao a tutti, mi chiedevo... sulla highball che tipo di manubrio mi consigliate di metterci ho visto della ENVE che c'e 2 tipi uno senza rise e uno con la piega piu alta ovviamente escludendo il DH e poi stessa cosa per il reggi sella ENVE diritto o con la leggera curvatura ? non so in base a cosa devo fare la scelta

Saluti alessio :madmax:

#39 ·
I'm now using an Easton EC70 flat bar @ 685mm. I've used the ENVE Sweep bar too, and it's very nice. As for the flat/riser question, it simply depends on your personal preference - obviously you won't get the front end as low with a riser bar as you would with a flat, but whether that's an issue for you or not I don't know.

Thanks google.:p

#40 ·
sc highball - reccomended fork

hello everyone.
im about to run my HB with a fox terralogic 29 2012 fork. the only issue is choosing between the 100mm travel & 15mm axle or the 80mm travel & qr.

any recommendations, from experience with the frame?

thanks!

#46 ·
I love my XL Highball. It took awhile (1-2 mo) to get used to it but I love this bike. There is nothing like reeling 6 inch travel bikes with poppy seat-posts on the DH and completely destroying people on the climbs.Good times and there are some sweet builds here :thumbsup:

#48 · (Edited)
My medium frame arrived last FRI.

Cannibalizing parts from my Tallboy...

Threw down for a new King headset today. Was going to go basic black (again) but
was mesmerized by a shiny blue one in the glass case at Diablo Mtn Cyclery ( great shop in Walnut Creek CA). Thought it went nicely with the blue top knobs of the fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.