Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So I have an extra Thomson 27.2 mm post just sitting around, does it really take some of the edge off the bumps. I've seen a few guys doing it but never realized that was the reason. I would assume I would need some sort of shim to use with it, what did you do and does it work well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by breakcontact View Post
    So I have an extra Thomson 27.2 mm post just sitting around, does it really take some of the edge off the bumps. I've seen a few guys doing it but never realized that was the reason. I would assume I would need some sort of shim to use with it, what did you do and does it work well?
    I made my own carbon adapter sleeve but you could use one of these.
    USE Thermoplastic Shim | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I have a feeling seat post extension has a greater effect than the post diameter. If you have the post, get a shim and see if you can feel a difference. That being said, tire pressure probably has a much larger impact on ride comfort than any post flexing.
    Last edited by back40; 05-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.

funkster
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by back40 View Post
    I made my own carbon adapter sleeve but you could use one of these.
    USE Thermoplastic Shim | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I have a feeling seat post extension has a great effect than the post diameter. If you have the post, get a shim and see if you can feel a difference. That being said, tire pressure probably has a much larger impact on ride comfort than any post flexing.
    I don't feel that great a difference in post changes though others say it makes huge difference. I agree with the above that tire pressure is king. I run my tires a full 5lbs lower now after owning a full rigid and seeing the advantages. That makes a huge difference and really helps negotiate roots and rocks. Even at 190lb I run 23/21 on my One9. I run a Thomson masterpiece on my highball and niner RDO on my One9. Both feel great but the highball is a much plusher ride. The niner race team shims down there posts for greater flex so there is a reason to do it. I also agree that extension length is greater factor and that driven by frame dimensions. Good technique cures all evil though.

mtbr member

First ride

Finally took it out. And I've got to say I really like it. Rides smooth and accelerates quickly. Couple tweaks to dial it in and it'll be great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Still loving my Highball! I've just started posting on Instagram using #highball. If there's another good place I should post there let me know.

She'll be doing her 4th race Sunday at CCCX in Ft Ord, CA.

highball build thread and pics-screen-shot-2013-06-01-6.35.30-am.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-screen-shot-2013-06-01-6.36.56-am.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-screen-shot-2013-06-01-6.37.42-am.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-screen-shot-2013-06-01-6.37.22-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That's a nice build! What's what's the weight coming in at?

mtbr member
    May 2005

highball build thread and pics

Here's my Highball C, a bike that I thought I'd never own....

Spec
    Frame: Medium Matte Black 142x12mm
    Fork: Fox F29 RLC 100mm FiT Taper/15mm (custom "stealth" decals)
    Headset: Cane Ck 110
    Bars: Thomson AM Carbon 730mm/12mm
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
    Grips: ESI
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Saddle: Charge Spoon Ti
    Seatclamp: Salsa Fliplock QR
    Cranks: Deore Black (only 48g heavier than XT)
    Chainring: 30t Widgit
    Pedals: Wellgo MG1 Ti axles
    Derailluer: XT Shadow 10spd
    Brakes: Hope Race Evo X2 F&R
    Rotors: Clarks Floating Rotors
    Wheels: Crest Rims/Hope P2 Hubs
    Tyre: Maxxis Ignitor/Ikon setup tubeless
    Weight: 22.5lbs

highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370350845.775941.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That black looks great Gripo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Gripo, well I never. Didn't think you would go one to. You have the same tyre choice. Pretty amazing ride, goes so fast and rolls and rolls. In some places it goes faster than my FS, when it shouldn't considering the terrain. And the grip level in flat corners is surprising on tiny tires. Just goes to show that the longer tread patch of a 29er tyre adds to the level of grip.

I found that the more familiar you get with this ride the more your extract from it - it has a lot to offer.

Cool bike, I love the stealth.

Have a look at the Syntace P6 seat post later on. It works, that designed in flex helps smooth the ride - a little.

Have fun mate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is my second Highball c - I sold the first one about a year ago, and knew if I ever decided to get back into XC racing I'd end up with another. This is pretty much the same spec as my last one apart from the paint job, and 15 minutes into my first ride I felt like I'd just bumped into a long-lost friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-highball1.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-highball2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got out for a great ride in the rain yesterday - just a couple of laps of my local, but it was super fun to get out on a hardtail for the first time in a while.

I'd forgotten how fast the Highball is up hills - it felt amazing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-highball491.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what is the biggest size on rear tire without rubbing? it seems very narrow.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Have a look at the Syntace P6 seat post later on. It works, that designed in flex helps smooth the ride - a little.

Have fun mate.
    William...really it's my roadie, a dirt roadie..

I've put a 40k backroads ride on it with the 2nd wheelset as in the pic below with some 700x33cc Schwalbe Smart Sam cyclocross mini knobs....

Btw how much difference has the Syntace Hi Flex post made to comfort, I was considering a Thomson 27.2 Masterpiece and a seatpost shim....

I'd look forward to logging some great long distance rides on it.

highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370844096.477738.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    what is the biggest size on rear tire without rubbing? it seems very narrow.
    I've used a 2.25" Maxxis Ardent in the rear, but wouldn't want to go much bigger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    can you post up pictures and the psi your running? i'm on 2.1 maxxis crossmark. i love the traction but i want to test out wider tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am currently running the Michelin grip'r 2.25 with about 30 psi

mtbr member
    I run a Racing Ralph 2.25 on a 24mm internal width rim. There is ample visible space, but because I am a larger rider and tend to flex my frames and wheels under extreme load I get a little rubbing occasionally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I weight 165 with wtb i19 st, i guess i'll probably stick with 2.25 as my next upgrade. thank you guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    William...really it's my roadie, a dirt roadie..

I've put a 40k backroads ride on it with the 2nd wheelset as in the pic below with some 700x33cc Schwalbe Smart Sam cyclocross mini knobs....

Btw how much difference has the Syntace Hi Flex post made to comfort, I was considering a Thomson 27.2 Masterpiece and a seatpost shim....

I'd look forward to logging some great long distance rides on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370844096.477738.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	806917
    would a 650B wheelset be a good option for the highball? no 650B hardtails from SCB so far...???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    would a 650B wheelset be a good option for the highball? no 650B hardtails from SCB so far...???
    I would say no, IMO -- because it would at best lower the BB, and at worse, mess with the geometry. But if you have a set of 650b wheels sitting around or know someone who will let you try theirs, I say give it a try! Numbers are just numbers and you never really know 'till you try it right? :-)
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm running racing ralph 2.25s on 23mm inner width rims. The clearance is decent, but I wouldn't want to go a whole lot bigger.

I had a very muddy race this past weekend and the bb area in front of the tire clogged up fairly bad. I have no issues when dry, but a little more clearance would be good if you ride much in the mud.

Personally I'll take the shorter chainstays over more mud clearance. 2.25 is wide enough for me on the rear of an XC race hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    I would say no, IMO -- because it would at best lower the BB, and at worse, mess with the geometry. But if you have a set of 650b wheels sitting around or know someone who will let you try theirs, I say give it a try! Numbers are just numbers and you never really know 'till you try it right? :-)
    You're right on the BB, nobody wants to lower even more the BB on a Highball... it will hit everywhere
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member

I am running 2.35 nobby nic's on roval control carbons. They're the hookless ones. Inner width is 21mm iirc. They clear safely in the dry but anything sticky would have you stopped up right away. I took some pictures. I'll post them ASAP.
    G

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    please do and what psi are you running Fire_

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    You're right on the BB, nobody wants to lower even more the BB on a Highball... it will hit everywhere
    Copy that bro, I have an i23 650B laced with xt and nevegals 2.1 (to be placed in my Superlight tweener conversion) was wondering if it would be ok... thanks for the input!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast