Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 251 to 300 of 320
  1. #251
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    My build with a 2012 XXL frame is coming along and I crossed one hurdle - 2.35 Nobby Nic on Derby rim fits:

    ~4mm clearance around chainstay:
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389543190.620664.jpg

    ~5mm clearance around seatstay:
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389543202.087290.jpg
    M

  2. #252
    More Torque
    Reputation: Diesel~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,896
    Pretty cool. How about a few pix of the entire bike?

    -D (fellow XXL owner)

  3. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    179
    awesome. thank you for the confirmation on 2.35. cant wait to mount mine 2.35 hans damf. how does it feel?

  4. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    230
    I ran 2,35 Nobby Nics for a short time in a large frame on 21mm ID rims and though there was room for them while on the stand they were close enough that the topcoats of the frame finish was worn away. I would not call them a good idea even though they technically fit.
    I posted while back. It might have been before I realized they were causing erosion. I'll see if I can get photos up tomorrow.
    -G

  5. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    230
    Looking at your pictures I see more clearance than I remember on mine. Might be the frame size difference or an improvement to the frame. Mine is an older type with the standard 9mm QR rear drop out.
    I fricken love this bike though. It is the goto for almost everything I ride. I currently am rocking 2,25 Rocket Ron's and I'll say it again, I love it.
    -G

  6. #256
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Looking at your pictures I see more clearance than I remember on mine. Might be the frame size difference or an improvement to the frame. Mine is an older type with the standard 9mm QR rear drop out.
    I fricken love this bike though. It is the goto for almost everything I ride. I currently am rocking 2,25 Rocket Ron's and I'll say it again, I love it.
    -G
    It was earlier posts - maybe yours- that convinced me to buy the 2.35" tire. Mine is also QR - in fact had to remove the skewer to install the wheel. To me the clearance is just acceptable, likely not enough room for a mini fender, but I plan to add some protective tape for peace of mind. Backup plan is 2.25" Rocket Rons.

    These Derby rims are 29mm internal. The brand new 2.35" Nobby measured true 2.35" (with tube at ~40psi). A 2.25" Nobby Nic on my old Stan's Arch (21mm internal?) measures true 2.25" (tubeless 25psi). So, the rim width did not seem to measurably increase tire width - this is consistent with what I've read in Derby rim thread. Benefit is the supporting angle and resistance to folding over at low psi - I'm counting on that - hoping to run ~18psi.

    I'll be done with my build in a few weeks and will post pics / first impressions then. So far only disappointment is not enough cable guides under top tube. What are the best adhesive ones?
    M

  7. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    230

    highball build thread and pics

    Some 3M helicopter tape would definitely make it better. I hadn't thought of that which is odd since the stuff is all over the rest if the bike. The 2,35 NN live on my Tallboy and I only ride them on the Highball for a short time while the Tallboy was broken.
    I run around 26psi in the back.
    -G




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    230

    highball build thread and pics

    Oh yah, Jagwire. They're medal and can be shaped into the exact contour of the tubes. Zero issues with mine. Prepped the site with rubbing alcohol.
    -G


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Changed over to Raceface 30T and 11-36 with XTR clutch RD.
    Worked great today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-photo-2.jpg  


  10. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    102
    I tried posting this in the Highball AL thread and got no reply. How does the AL frame stack up against the Carbon one?

    Thanks guys.

  11. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    340
    Just a quick question to you guys ... im starting to doubt myself, ive ordered a GXP crank for my Highball Carbon im building, thats the right sort isnt it? the BB30s are the pressfit types from what ive read.. Cheers in advance.

  12. #262
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Just a quick question to you guys ... im starting to doubt myself, ive ordered a GXP crank for my Highball Carbon im building, thats the right sort isnt it? the BB30s are the pressfit types from what ive read.. Cheers in advance.
    Yep, you ordered the right crankset. GXP is threaded, so it will work with the highball frame. BB30/PF30 is pressfit and will not fit the highball.

  13. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Yep, you ordered the right crankset. GXP is threaded, so it will work with the highball frame. BB30/PF30 is pressfit and will not fit the highball.

    Great I thought id ordered correctly but its nice to know....theres so many different versions of this and that.

  14. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    627

    Cable Routing Question

    For those of you running a 1x setup. Do you find it better to run the RD cable housing on the opposite side of the shifter? It appears the standard RD housing, especially on 2x or 3x setups is to loop the housing back on the same side as the RD shifter. I think this is too much housing out front. I've seen some setups from the pictures on this thread that have the routing on the opposite side. Any suggestions and or problems with either route? Or am I over-thinking this?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  15. #265
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goodoljake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    246
    opposite for sure! no issues. I cross it back over behind the last top tube loop just in front of the seat tube.

  16. #266
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    opposite for sure! no issues. I cross it back over behind the last top tube loop just in front of the seat tube.
    I saw this on a number of bikes here and was thinking of going that way, I did originally have it passed through the back side of the seat tube, but I like in front better and see less chance of a snag or leg catching. It definitely looks better crossed over on the front IMO
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  17. #267
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    I know this is a bad picture since it's a Tallboy, but it addresses the question... I prefer to keep the cable on the same side. I do think it looks better crossing over, but I don't like having to cross back to the drive side by the BB. (I'm looking at this thread because I'm thinking of building a Highball at some point this spring).


  18. #268
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1391805962.914021.jpg
    Really crappy low light picture. My goal with this full housing run was to keep it close to the frame, minimal cable rub, look tidy; straight routing wasn't as important. I decided to route the cable to the opposite side (left) of the headtube. I tried it on the same side (right) but didn't like the result when rotating the bars. Zip tied to the brake housing under the toptube, routed behind the seattube, then cross over almost directly under the mono bridge to the underside of the seatstay, then corkscrew around the top of the seatstay and into the derailleur. The X01 derailleur certainly helps. I have clear protective tape at most frame contact areas.
    Last edited by Motivated; 02-07-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    M

  19. #269
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Some slightly better picks of my RD routing. I think the unique features are crossover behind the seattube and using the Jagwire adhesive cable guides - actually 3x under the toptube - and used for the brake line, to which the deraileur cable is attached. The Jagwire guides are designed for use with some cheap plastic clips and I had to remove the center portion of the adhesive pad to make clearance for cable ties.
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392153870.000674.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392153889.433383.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392153907.750262.jpg
    M

  20. #270
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scsigoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Some slightly better picks of my RD routing. I think the unique features are crossover behind the seattube and using the Jagwire adhesive cable guides - actually 3x under the toptube - and used for the brake line, to which the deraileur cable is attached. The Jagwire guides are designed for use with some cheap plastic clips and I had to remove the center portion of the adhesive pad to make clearance for cable ties.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153870.000674.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	869001
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153889.433383.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	869002
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153907.750262.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	869003
    For sure these are better pics. Nice ride! whats the weight?

  21. #271
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by scsigoer View Post
    For sure these are better pics. Nice ride! whats the weight?
    23.1lb (10.5kg) ready to ride. Size XXL.
    Last edited by Motivated; 02-11-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    M

  22. #272
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Ride photo:
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1394837289.268837.jpg
    Snow on the trails is clearing, so I'm getting a better idea of how this bike rides. I'm really enjoying it. The frame is so intuitive - great balance of stiffness and damping. The build concept is awesome so far. Wide rims (I'm converted for life on these), stiff and light wheels, voluminous tires, 1x11. Simple but very versatile and capable climbing, descending, just riding trails. I love the hardtail responsiveness like in a tall gear nailing it up a rocky climb there is no wallow or loss of efficiency. I love the overall lateral stiffness, especially the fork - the Trace with unicrown is a huge improvement over a Fox 32mm

    Only issue so far is the steering. I'd call it a bit darty. I'm not sure if it's the 51mm offset fork, the stem length, or adjusting to wide bars. The steering is sensitive, quick to oversteer and demands a lot of attention. I've had a touch of hand numbness, and my shoulders are sore after riding. I *think* I need to get my weight back a touch. I'll probably switch to a 12deg sweep bar from this 9deg, then a shorter stem.
    Last edited by Motivated; 03-15-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    M

  23. #273
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Nice build. Abit unique setup given a racey frame. If you like those bars, try shorter stem first before switching. I know it made a big difference for me when I went wider and from flats.

    Those Derby hoops are nice. With those cushy tires I bet it's a mini fatbike rocket!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  24. #274
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goodoljake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    246
    I'd agree you need a shorter stem. I think the fork is definitely contributing too. The motorcycle front tire probably isn't helping either. But the thing looks sick and would make a fantastic all mountain bike with a short stem.

    S4

  25. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    627
    Here's some pics of my HBC. 21 lbs 10 oz with pedals. XL frame size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-hb2.jpeg  

    highball build thread and pics-hb3.jpeg  

    highball build thread and pics-hb4.jpeg  

    highball build thread and pics-hb5.jpeg  

    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  26. #276
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    Here's some pics of my HBC. 21 lbs 10 oz with pedals. XL frame size.
    Nice build. XX1 N/W ring?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  27. #277
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    Here's some pics of my HBC. 21 lbs 10 oz with pedals. XL frame size.
    What's the lever for on the right side - an uninstalled dropper post?
    Nice build. I bet it's fast and smooth. Are those LB rims - which ones? You can drop a few grams with a WolfTooth direct mount ring.
    M

  28. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    What's the lever for on the right side - an uninstalled dropper post?
    Nice build. I bet it's fast and smooth. Are those LB rims - which ones? You can drop a few grams with a WolfTooth direct mount ring.
    The lever is to lock out the fork, but it doesn't completely lock out the fork as intended. There is also an adjustment to the flood gate so I could further dial in the travel if I wanted to. Probably superfluous for me since I am more of a set it and forget it guy when it comes to suspension. I do like the idea of fork lockout though on forest road climbs.

    Those are the LB Bead Hookless Rims. I went with a 28 up front and a 32 in rear. Still went with Hope Hubs, I've been happy with these ever since going with them. I have DT Revo Spokes 3X on Rear, and Straight 14 on Front. The bike shop, was not able to get the Revo Spokes to work on the front with a 28 Spoke. I'm sure many people out there could, but this delayed the build for weeks until I finally just said to get it done.

    Next time I look for a ring, I will most likely look at Wolf Tooth again. If I remember right, they didn't have the 34T in stock at the time I bought this one.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  29. #279
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    The lever is to lock out the fork, but it doesn't completely lock out the fork as intended. There is also an adjustment to the flood gate so I could further dial in the travel if I wanted to. Probably superfluous for me since I am more of a set it and forget it guy when it comes to suspension. I do like the idea of fork lockout though on forest road climbs.

    Those are the LB Bead Hookless Rims. I went with a 28 up front and a 32 in rear. Still went with Hope Hubs, I've been happy with these ever since going with them. I have DT Revo Spokes 3X on Rear, and Straight 14 on Front. The bike shop, was not able to get the Revo Spokes to work on the front with a 28 Spoke. I'm sure many people out there could, but this delayed the build for weeks until I finally just said to get it done.

    Next time I look for a ring, I will most likely look at Wolf Tooth again. If I remember right, they didn't have the 34T in stock at the time I bought this one.
    Doh! I completely didn't see the cable connecting to the fork, now it's obvious.
    Nice wheels. Mine are the hookless Derby's - awesome stiffness and like the low pressure without folding the tire over. Can go down to 16psi, but typically ride them at 20psi for confidence at speed over roots and rocks.
    Nice build overall - that's a lot of quality carbon!
    M

  30. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goodoljake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    246

    Digging your 1x and mine too!

    Love that 1x highball man! Here is mine recently upgraded with a new frame as I broke the 2012 frame I originally had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-20131230_102602sm.jpg  

    highball build thread and pics-20131230_102608sm.jpg  


  31. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    Love that 1x highball man! Here is mine recently upgraded with a new frame as I broke the 2012 frame I originally had.
    Nice Bike
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  32. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Some slightly better picks of my RD routing. I think the unique features are crossover behind the seattube and using the Jagwire adhesive cable guides - actually 3x under the toptube - and used for the brake line, to which the deraileur cable is attached. The Jagwire guides are designed for use with some cheap plastic clips and I had to remove the center portion of the adhesive pad to make clearance for cable ties.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153870.000674.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	869001
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153889.433383.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	869002
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153907.750262.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	869003
    I just picked up this same frame to build up.... is it built with a full cable housing run front to back? I can't tell from your picture. I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy the cable housing since I have enough for a partial run, but not the full length from shifter to derailleur.

  33. #283
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I just picked up this same frame to build up.... is it built with a full cable housing run front to back? I can't tell from your picture. I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy the cable housing since I have enough for a partial run, but not the full length from shifter to derailleur.
    Mine is full housing - the red one - should be clear in the pics. FYI - XX1 shifter comes with full housing. X01 does not come with housing.
    M

  34. #284
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    Thanks.

    I'm a dirtball with an XT setup... no housing come with the parts I buy.

  35. #285
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Thanks.

    I'm a dirtball with an XT setup... no housing come with the parts I buy.
    To be clear - the frame is not made for full housing - there are cable stops under the toptube. I ran full housing using Jagwire adhesive cable guides (and had to modify them slightly).

    Frankly XT kicks ass. This X01 feels cheap, inconsistent (up vs down) and clunky by comparison - my opinion. The genius of X01 is all in the concept of the cassette. I wish Shimano would do official 1x11 - I really like my home brew XT 1x9, except for the range - haven't tried a cassette adapter yet.
    M

  36. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    825

    highball build thread and pics

    With full brake/derailluer housings under the TT you can neatlly gather them by piggybacking them together....done similar on several bikes.


  37. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    To be clear - the frame is not made for full housing - there are cable stops under the toptube. I ran full housing using Jagwire adhesive cable guides (and had to modify them slightly).

    Frankly XT kicks ass. This X01 feels cheap, inconsistent (up vs down) and clunky by comparison - my opinion. The genius of X01 is all in the concept of the cassette. I wish Shimano would do official 1x11 - I really like my home brew XT 1x9, except for the range - haven't tried a cassette adapter yet.
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I'm going to run an XT 1x10 on this just like I have on my other bikes (Bronson and TBc).

  38. #288
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    717
    I am 5'10 with a 32 inseam. it took a little while but finally got my reach and bar height right and this bike rips. with the 90mm stem and 700mm bars that came on the bike the steering just felt wicked fast and the front tire was constantly turning in to fast, I caught myself a bunch of times so luckily I didn't go down. I was also finding myself scrubbing speed going into corners cause I just wasn't confident with the setup. I now have the bars cut down to 660mm just like my specialized epic and am running a 110 stem with the bars a touch lower than my seat. it handles so much different now and slowed the steering down a lot so it won't turn in so fast and lose the front tire.

    I was really close to maybe getting ride of this bike because I just couldn't get the handling dialed. I felt like I was railing turns and not scrubbing speed coming into the corners. much better and much faster.

  39. #289
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8

    Giro Code High Vis.

    Can someone who has the 2013 frame with the high vis. yellow/green letters, buy these shoes and take a picture of them next to their bike?

    Code Mountain Bike Shoes - High Performance Mountain Biking Shoes

    I wouldn't normally spend $300 on shoes, but if it matches well, I might have to...

  40. #290
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    179
    has anyone try to do a SS conversion with TA rear wheel? i notice SC sells QR SS conversion, i cant find any SS kit for TA model.

  41. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    179
    i have the gray and green frame, the shoe seems to match.

  42. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,108
    Thought I posted here yesterday but can't find it... Anybody find a magic gear for the older frames? I found that 37x17 is perfect, but isn't useable in many situations. 35x19 Is soo close, but I dropped the chain a few times. Anybody have a gear that works? For now, I'm not interested in the philcentric or eno hub. I also loathe tensioners, so if I can't find a useable magic gear, I'll just put on the derailleur.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

  43. #293
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Reputation: MondoRides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    Thought I posted here yesterday but can't find it... Anybody find a magic gear for the older frames? I found that 37x17 is perfect, but isn't useable in many situations. 35x19 Is soo close, but I dropped the chain a few times. Anybody have a gear that works? For now, I'm not interested in the philcentric or eno hub. I also loathe tensioners, so if I can't find a useable magic gear, I'll just put on the derailleur.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Here are a few I had bookmarked from the post below for when I'm ready to do the same (30x20, 34x20, 31x19 and 29x17). Been looking closely at the Philcentric EBB too but $200 feels a bit steep.

    highball build thread and pics
    ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶

  44. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: highball build thread and pics

    Thanks for that. I'm looking for something around 2 - 1. And I haven't gotten close.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

  45. #295
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    Thought I posted here yesterday but can't find it... Anybody find a magic gear for the older frames? I found that 37x17 is perfect, but isn't useable in many situations. 35x19 Is soo close, but I dropped the chain a few times. Anybody have a gear that works? For now, I'm not interested in the philcentric or eno hub. I also loathe tensioners, so if I can't find a useable magic gear, I'll just put on the derailleur.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    What's your beef with a tensioner?
    M

  46. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    What's your beef with a tensioner?
    Vanity mostly

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

  47. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    What's your beef with a tensioner?
    Aside from the piss poor aesthetics; increased drag, drivetrain noise and pain in the ass factor are all reasons that I don't like chain tensioner devices.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BShow; 04-07-2014 at 08:53 AM.

  48. #298
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    highball build thread and pics

    I think this Salsa posted by Flat Ark looks pretty nice:
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/05/7e8e8y5a.jpg
    M

  49. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,161
    A few pics of the Highball Carbon build I just finished... unfortunately it's going up for sale because I can't justify keeping it alongside my TallboyC.

    Full XT drivetrain with RaceFace 30t 1x10, Stan's Crest wheelset, Ardent tires, RS Recon Gold fork, CK headset and new Avid brakes. Weighs in around 22 lbs (purely guessing).


  50. #300
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,108

    Re: highball build thread and pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    I think this Salsa posted by Flat Ark looks pretty nice...
    The bike itself Looks nice except for the tensioner and crooked looking chain! I'm also not a fan of the negative rise stem used in conjunction with riser bars(but can appreciate that he may still be dialing in position). While I agree that a tensioner can be an adequate band-aid for not having a SS capable frame, I've yet to see one that looks good In my opinion. If you like the extraneous dong hanging there, hey man... Whatever floats your boat! :-)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Yeti Build / Pics Thread Index
    By crisillo in forum Yeti
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 06:19 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 06:43 AM
  3. Pics of my new DT (in progress build thread)
    By rdhfreethought in forum Knolly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 07:33 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •