Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Rear was about 26.5psi, front is around 25. It is hard to tell the actual clearance in the pictures. There is no rubbing and all, even with flex.
    I put a 120mm fork on it since the pictures. It is a blast on trail.
    -G
    highball build thread and pics-img_4885.jpghighball build thread and pics-img_4886.jpghighball build thread and pics-img_4887.jpg

mtbr member
    Last edited by fire_strom; 06-17-2013 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Last edited by fire_strom; 06-17-2013 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member

highball build thread and pics

Last edited by fire_strom; 06-17-2013 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member

JHC! I got data base errors every time I tried to post. I guess it is only half broken. I'll delete the BS ASAP.
    Sorry
    -G

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For those that is with Rockshox Sid XX how do you like the set up? i cant seem to get my Sid XX dual air to adjust right. i weight 165lbs positive air 125 negative 125 and 5 rebounds click from the turtle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For those that is with Rockshox Sid XX how do you like the set up? i cant seem to get my Sid XX dual air to adjust right. i weight 165lbs positive air 125 negative 125 and 5 rebounds click from the turtle.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by almostfast View Post
    Thanks MonodoRides. I was looking at Santa Cruz as well, I was surprised not to see anything specifically for the highball. Although, you are right, those will fit any bike with a downtube. Does it looks like you can easily cut it down if needed? Let me know how it fits/looks whenever you install it.
    Finally got around to installing the Tallboy down tube protector on the Highball and no trimming required. Worked out so well I used my extra one on my On One 456

highball build thread and pics-image%5B2%5D_sm.jpghighball build thread and pics-image%5B3%5D_sm.jpghighball build thread and pics-image_sm.jpghighball build thread and pics-image%5B4%5D_sm.jpg

mtbr member
    What kind of glue you used and where can I get one?

Looks great
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    What kind of glue you used and where can I get one?

Looks great
    It is an adhesive backed protector from Santa Cruz. Apparently designed for the Tallboy but works well on the Highball as well. See original post:

Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    I bought this but haven't installed it yet so can't really speak to how well it works. It was designed for the Tallboy but would basically work for any bike downtube.

Santa Cruz Bicycles

Attachment 798863

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Rear was about 26.5psi, front is around 25. It is hard to tell the actual clearance in the pictures. There is no rubbing and all, even with flex.
    I put a 120mm fork on it since the pictures. It is a blast on trail.
    -G
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4886.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	808555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4887.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	808556
    is it 2.35 front and back?

mtbr member

Yes. 2.35 on back too.

As for the 100mm SID XX dual air, I am running that and love it though I put a 120mm on from a different bike and really love the highball with it. I have the fork for sale but would run it again in a heartbeat if I could make it a 120mm.

I run it a little softer than indicated and I over pump the negative chamber because I loose a bit of pressure when I remove the pump.

Try messing with it for a while. Pump it up disconnect the pump and then reconnect it. I found that I lose pressure out of both chambers but more out of the negative. I think this is because the negative chamber is smaller so the same volume loss has a greater impact on the left over pressure.

If I didn't do this I found that I had to firm a ride in the initial stroke.
    Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and does anyone know how to nuke all my duplicate BS posts?
    G

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i've gotten to be more firm with more air pressure on the negative chamber. thank you for the pictures

mtbr member
    Huh?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i've gotten the fork to be more to adjust better by increasing the air pressure in negative chamber. 2.35 no rub even at a big bump or drop?

mtbr member
    None.
    G

mtbr member

My new Highball

highball build thread and pics-20130629_162547.jpg

Thanks for the link to Benidorm Bikes. This is the medium frame they had on sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphillnogo View Post
    Thanks for the link to Benidorm Bikes. This is the medium frame they had on sale.
    Cool, glad it found a good home (across the country?). Looks like a nice build, but some carbon hoops might really take it to the next level if you're ever in a position to try 'em. Had Crests on mine too the first few rides, then switched to Roval Control SL's (also courtesy of Benidorm) and really noticed a difference. Even though the weight was practically the same, the Rovals eliminated any trace of the "turbo lag" I'd come to associate with 29" wheels. Such a solid and precise frame really benefits from wheels that also exhibit those traits.

Food for thought, enjoy your sweet ride!
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Cool, glad it found a good home (across the country?).

Across the country to the the Bay Area. Took it out to Point Reyes and the bike did great on a rough trail and without the fork dialed in. Gotta love carbon, frame, bar, seat post, and maybe someday wheels. highball build thread and pics-20130630_115502.jpg

mtbr member
    Just replaced a couple of bits and cleaned it up to detail

Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just finished building this up from the stuff off my Tallboy C. Was so excited I forgot to tighten the crank arm bolts and didn't realize until I had driven to the trail! Doh! Ended up riding from home. Bike is FAST. I'll be lacing up a custom wheelset next weekend provided my spokes get here in a timely manner

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My highball built:
    EASTON Haven wheels
    Fox Float 32 Evaluation 29
    Shimano M670
    Avid E9
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Thomson X4 80mm
    EASTON Haven Carbon Handlebar
    Wiggle MG1(will exchange to eggbatter 3)
    highball build thread and pics-9405240013_e0a1bdd89c_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Been following this thread for 7 months.
    I've had my 2012 Highball for a month now! First saw it in April and had to 'think about it'. At 53 and 210, former half-fast racer and with 10 years of nearly no riding after a couple nasty injuries, I wanted to get back in. LBS owner knew what i needed.

Had a touring bike for a year, rode it about 4 times. SOLD
    Tried a used DH bike, rode it twice. SOLD
    In April I bought mine, built with XT and Fox 100 (stock Float 29 with Kashima...nice)

IN my opinion, this is THE bike for guys like me. It inspires me to ride more. With the lockout fork I can do road riding, if I must. I've tried it on some great single track, up and down, and it works. It nearly climbs by itself (although there is some wear on the XT granny...)
    It's making getting back into shape a heckalottafun.

For you young guys that have built your HB into a 20 lb wonder, it doesn't get better than this! For older guys, it's the Ferrari you wanted way back when.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by schwangster View Post
    Been following this thread for 7 months.
    I've had my 2012 Highball for a month now! First saw it in April and had to 'think about it'. At 53 and 210, former half-fast racer and with 10 years of nearly no riding after a couple nasty injuries, I wanted to get back in. LBS owner knew what i needed.

Had a touring bike for a year, rode it about 4 times. SOLD
    Tried a used DH bike, rode it twice. SOLD
    In April I bought mine, built with XT and Fox 100 (stock Float 29 with Kashima...nice)

IN my opinion, this is THE bike for guys like me. It inspires me to ride more. With the lockout fork I can do road riding, if I must. I've tried it on some great single track, up and down, and it works. It nearly climbs by itself (although there is some wear on the XT granny...)
    It's making getting back into shape a heckalottafun.

For you young guys that have built your HB into a 20 lb wonder, it doesn't get better than this! For older guys, it's the Ferrari you wanted way back when.
    Glad you are enjoying your HB. Next time you replace your chain, you can replace the aluminum small chainring with a steel one. Generally cheaper and much longer lasting.

-D

I Ride Bikes

2013 Highball C

Just picked up this very very very gently used Highball C.

I swear it looks brand new, but the dealer said it was used. The tires have no dirt marks, the cassette is shiny, the chain still has the factory sticky grease on it, the frame is flawless, no cable rubs, etc...

Either way I saved a lot of money cause it was considered used.

I've done a couple of urban rides and the bike fits me great. I ride a Specialized Camber 29er FS on the trails so I just have to get used to the hardtail. Anyways, this is my first Santa Cruz bike and so far I'm happy with my purchase.

BTW, it weighed in at 23.5 lbs stock with pedals. I'm hoping to drop a couple of pounds, maybe even bring it down to 20 lbs. We'll see.
    highball build thread and pics-1234065_10200464683569142_1884741872_n.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-1236283_10200464684569167_1931480461_n.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-545217_10200464685329186_1174066969_n.jpg
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    I had to change my username here b/c the system didnt allow me to do a password recovery. weird.

Anyhow, i updated my bike with some new parts. Got bored, so swapped the fork, and cranks to 1x10. She's 18 pounds now.

Quote Originally Posted by montross View Post
    Attachment 770464

hi everyone - after two months, my highball project is finally done.

2012 highball large frame
    XT brakes/shifters
    XTR cranks/rear derailuer
    chris king headest + BB
    Mavic Crossmax 29 ST
    nobby nics for the winter, then switching out to rocket rons later.

just finished. Going on on first ride now.
    highball build thread and pics-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can someone help me find the manual for 2012 frame. SC website only listed the most recent frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    Can someone help me find the manual for 2012 frame. SC website only listed the most recent frame.
    its the same except for the rear axle. you can always email santa cruz's tech at tech@santacruzbicycles.com or Tel: 831.459.7560

they are very helpful

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi People

Ive just managed to score a Carbon Highball frame and im now researching a build (1st build ive tried)

General Question.
    The shifter cables under the top tube...why run a naked cable under the toptube? any reason they arent fully covered? can they be?

I have an old 2009 GT Avalanche that does the same.

Thanks

PS anyone know if the new XX1 / XO1 works with the Highball?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Hi People

Ive just managed to score a Carbon Highball frame and im now researching a build (1st build ive tried)

General Question.
    The shifter cables under the top tube...why run a naked cable under the toptube? any reason they arent fully covered? can they be?

I have an old 2009 GT Avalanche that does the same.

Thanks

PS anyone know if the new XX1 / XO1 works with the Highball?
    you can run a protective sleeve over the cable between the two or three joints. i think its included in most housing kits.

xx1/x01 works great on the highball. the 156q fits. most important compatibility with xx1 setups are the wheels to fit the xx1 specifc hubs.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Hi People

General Question.
    One reason not to cover the cable under the top tube is the ability to quickly lube the cable (assuming that you don't run them dry) without undoing the pinch bolt at the derailleur. If you shift to the largest cog on the cassette, then shift down a few gears, without spinning the crank, you will create slack in the cable. Then, you can detach the housing from the frame stop. Slide one section of housing onto the exposed area of cable, leaving bare the part of the cable that is normally under the housing. Clean and lube this section, then slide the housing back. Repeat for other housing sections. No need to readjust your derailleur indexing.

-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    One reason not to cover the cable under the top tube is the ability to quickly lube the cable (assuming that you don't run them dry) without undoing the pinch bolt at the derailleur. If you shift to the largest cog on the cassette, then shift down a few gears, without spinning the crank, you will create slack in the cable. Then, you can detach the housing from the frame stop. Slide one section of housing onto the exposed area of cable, leaving bare the part of the cable that is normally under the housing. Clean and lube this section, then slide the housing back. Repeat for other housing sections. No need to readjust your derailleur indexing.

-D
    Er.....of course I don't run them dry...ahem... but now I understand why a section is bare, my poor avalanche cables have never seen any lube since the day I bought it

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    FYI, throughout the year of racing my highball I've had nothing but great experiences with everything BUT the bare cable routing under the top tube. Every 2 races or so the rear derailleur shifting would degrade to a point of having a LOT of resistance. I was replacing the cable/housing every couple races, until I finally put a nosed ferrule on the housing going into the cable at the rear end of the top tube. It seems that all the sweat/salt/dust/etc from racing would work it's way into the cable due to gravity/etc. With the nosed ferrule I've done ~5-7 races without having to replace the cable/housing.

Aside from this fairly minor gripe, the frame has been amazing in 20+ XC and endurance races throughout 2013. I would buy another, although I'd be more inclined to buy another if there was full cable housing under the top tube.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I took advantage of clearance deal at Competitive Cyclist and got a 2012 size XXL. Cable routing is all under the toptube, which I prefer. It's easy to run full housing instead of bare cable sections, but making it look clean is the challenge. Basic solution is to zip tie the derailleur housing to the brake housing. I'll be running 1x11 and appreciate the low profile cable stop for the F.der, which will be unused.
    Last edited by Motivated; 12-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    M

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

My new ride

highball build thread and pics-image.jpg

My first post in the forums.

mtbr member
    Awesome! You are gonna love that thing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just bought a 2013 highball carbon frame to build up. I see that a lot of people are using Easton EA70 XCT rims. Does anyone know if the hubs that come with that Easton wheelset are XX1 compatible?

The wheelset description says it has an X2 rear hub: Easton EA70 XCT 29er Rear Wheel 2013 | Easton | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Here's the description of Easton's XD driver: Cassette Body XD (SRAM XX1 and M1-_21 and M1-_22 hubs)

It doesn't list the X2 hub, but I didn't know if the hub had a different model number (hopefully something like M-121).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Went tubeless. Likely never go back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-photo-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyjared View Post
    Just bought a 2013 highball carbon frame to build up. I see that a lot of people are using Easton EA70 XCT rims. Does anyone know if the hubs that come with that Easton wheelset are XX1 compatible?

The wheelset description says it has an X2 rear hub: Easton EA70 XCT 29er Rear Wheel 2013 | Easton | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Here's the description of Easton's XD driver: Cassette Body XD (SRAM XX1 and M1-_21 and M1-_22 hubs)

It doesn't list the X2 hub, but I didn't know if the hub had a different model number (hopefully something like M-121).

Thanks
    call Easton Cycling directly. They usually answer the phone quickly and can tell you exactly what you need to convert, assuming you can. They will also sell you the parts directly if you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I want to run X01 too for a nice neat frame may just zip tie the housings down the centre of top tube instead of using the mountings....should look tidy.

mtbr member
    Well after lurking on this thread for quite a while. I'm ready to post up. I bought a 2013 HB Frame about a month ago and I have been patiently grabbing up components for a build. I sold some stuff at just the right time, so it made it easy for me to spec this thing out exactly as I wanted.

Here is my intended build.

2013 Black Frame
    SID XX Fork with 15mm Through Axle & Remote Lockout
    Full X01 group build (Black/Grey)
    XTR Race Brakes w/ Ice Tech Rotors 160/160
    ENVE Handlebar
    ENVE Seatpost (Zero Setback)
    Selle SL Saddle
    Easton EA70 Stem 90mm 6deg Rise (May Switch to ThomsonX4 Once I get a Few Rides In)
    Light-Bicycle 27mm Hookless Carbon Rims
    Hope Pro 2 EVO Hubs (Gunmetal)
    Black Spokes w/ Gunmetal Alloy Nipples
    Hope Gunmetal Headset Spacers (for added sex appeal)

No Pictures yet as I am still waiting for most of the parts to come in. The Rims could be delayed as much as 10-14 days, I figure. As you can imagine, I can't wait. I'm only worried because I hope I don't fall in love with this bike so much that I stop riding my JET 9 RDO.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    Here is my intended build.
    ...I'm only worried because I hope I don't fall in love with this bike so much that I stop riding my JET 9 RDO.
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Sounds like a killer build. Just plan to do the occational 100 miler over some fairly rough trail and I'm sure you'll still want your JET 9 RDO ;-) I also have a JET 9 RDO which I love. < 3 hour rides = hardtail. > 3 (or even all day) rides = fully!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just picked it up today used.

A mix of xt and xtr stuff with mostly Easton cockpit. Roval control wheels setup tubeless. 22.4lbs as it sits.

Probably get rid of the xtr race cranks cause I need something with a smaller granny than 28. Bike will be used for mostly endurance races and some xc. I found most of the northeast endurance events pretty mellow so wanted to try a lighter hardtail.

I tried to post a pic but it only comes in upside down

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How the heck do I fix the upside down pick?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    anyone here running 2.35 hans dampf with sid xx? how is the clearance of front and rear? i'm worry it might rub in the rear. please let me know

mtbr member

First Time posting my highball

highball build thread and pics-highball.jpg

XX1
    Crossmax SLR's
    2014 Rock Shox SID 120
    Thomson Carbon bar @ stem
    RDO post
    Pro logo Nago Ti saddle

20.9 lbs
    2015 Trek Stashe(Highly Modded)
    2016 Ibis Mojo HD3 Plus mode
    2017 Why Cycles S7
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    bike isn't clean and cell phone pic is a little blurry but it is better than nothing.

mostly xtr drivetrain except for the cranks, which i did have the xtr stuff but i swapped for an xt so i could run a lower granny gear. the cockpit bits are mostly easton ec70 stuff. bike is really fun to ride. weighs 22.76 as you see it with the bottle cage mounts, garmin mounts, speed sesnor, and a little mud.

when i was buying this bike the one thing that almost made me not get it was all the comments on how stiff and harsh the ride would be. this is my first carbon hardtail so i don't have a ton of experience but it is WAY softer, and less buzzing than the aluminum hardtail that it replaced. definately deaden alot of the trail buzz compared to the aluminum bike by a long shot.

highball build thread and pics-image.jpg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast