Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

My Friend Highball

This is a my friend Paulo Novo Highball . Very excusive. Very Cool.

Ride 29er !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

My Highball and Tallboy

My new Highball SPX. Got a deal that was too good to pass up.
    Also have a Tallboy SPX which is a year + old.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Finally got one too.

Can't wait until dryer weather to try out this new ride! Thanks to Chad@Redbarn for the complete built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-img_2899.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New Highball addition...

highball build thread and pics-photo-16.jpg

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

not many of the 2013 models up yet so i thought i'd share mine

8.8kg (about 19.5 pounds for those stuck in old money) as you see it, incl pedals and 2.25" tyres... its fast!

taking it easy on the descents for the couple of rides i've had on it so far since i'm coming from a 26" FS so its a bit of an adjustment. i don't think it will be holding me back any once i get a few more rides in though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-p1000931_800px.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ^^^ SUH-WEEEEET!!!

I have everything to build my Highball...except my Highball.

Back-ordered blowout frames from Competitive kept getting pushed back and pushed back. Finally gave up. I love the new darker color scheme though. It'll go nicely with all the EA70 and EC70 stuff I have to build it with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where??

Where are people getting their Highballs? I want one! Large with XO 2X10 I assume.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

posted this on the SS forum, but it fits here as well, hope you like it!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon boy View Post
    Dig the Build

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon boy View Post

That's a sweet build. I was wondering how you were tensioning your chain with the thru axle, but then saw you have a devise coming from the hanger. How's that working out for you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    That's a sweet build. I was wondering how you were tensioning your chain with the thru axle, but then saw you have a devise coming from the hanger. How's that working out for you?
    It's ok, not perfect but it works :-/ I am thinking about going xtr cranks and an excentrizer, but unsure. they seems to be fairly reliable but I just don't know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi All, I'm tempted to buy one of the 2012 Highballs that are on sale right now. I'm 5'10" and am used to racing road bikes. Do you think the large would be the right size choice? According to the SC size charts, I'm on the borderline between med and lg. Any other 5'10" or shorter people with a large frame? Unfortunately nobody in my city stocks Highballs, so I have no way to actually sit on one before I buy.

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i'm 6'1" and find the large perfect which would suggest that the medium would be better for you
    really its a lot more complicated than that though... depends on your body proportions and personal fit preferences

i've got long legs relative to my torso so you'll see in the pic i posted earlier i have a lot of seatpost even on a large. SC bikes seem to have shorter top tubes than many brands so work well for me

i'd suggest comparing the geometry charts to a bike you know or one you can get a demo on (not a roadie as fit differs so much)
    if in doubt its generally safest to err on the small side - better to use a long, setback seatpost and long stem than try to shrink things (though i like a relatively short stem too)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    Hi All, I'm tempted to buy one of the 2012 Highballs that are on sale right now. I'm 5'10" and am used to racing road bikes. Do you think the large would be the right size choice? According to the SC size charts, I'm on the borderline between med and lg. Any other 5'10" or shorter people with a large frame? Unfortunately nobody in my city stocks Highballs, so I have no way to actually sit on one before I buy.
    Lots of posts by people around 5 10.

I am 510 on a large with no offset thomson post with seat in nuetral position. I ran a 70mm stem for the first month, now a 90 for the last couple weeks. I think I will settle on an 80. Now that I've had it, I also think I would be fine on a medium with a 90 stem and seat slightly pushed back.

5 10 is really a flip of the coin or a choice between you like a smaller bike w longer stem and more seatpost or stretched out a bit more and less post. I chose the large b/c I knew I could dial it in w the stem. If I went medium I was worried about going beyond 90 as I didn't want a layback post.

Hope that helps!

Oh... And the bike rips! Love mine with 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank fror the replies pk1 and jhardeman. My only current mountain bike has a 23.5" TT, and I don't feel that it is too short and could be a bit longer. The SC sizing is pretty unusual with either 23.0 TT or 24.0 TT. So it seems like I could go either way. It would probably be wiser to opt for a medium if I have to buy blind. Unfortunately, there are no mediums left in the smoking hot 2012 frame closeout deals.

Just noticed some big differences between the 2012 and 2013 frames. In particular 142x12 thru axel and a 73 deg seat tube angle on 2013 vs 135 QR and 71 deg on 2012. I much prefer both of these new 2013 specs, so I'm not going to pull the trigger on a 2012 closeout deal frame even though they are 1/2 price.
    Last edited by wheel-addict; 01-22-2013 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    same problem here. im 5'10'' and i went with the large b/c thats all they have available at Competitive Cyclist. couldnt pass up on the discount.

hope it works out. im in process of building it. i'll upload some pics soon. waiting on some parts to come in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by montross View Post
    same problem here. im 5'10'' and i went with the large b/c thats all they have available at Competitive Cyclist. couldnt pass up on the discount.

hope it works out. im in process of building it. i'll upload some pics soon. waiting on some parts to come in.
    A local shop actually had a built up 2012 highball in med. I gave a test ride and it is way too short in the top tube for me (5'10"). I think the large will be perfect. I'm currently debating going with a 2012 Highball or a 2012 Niner Air 9 RDO which are also on clearance. They look like almost the same bike spec wise.

mtbr member
    I'm currently debating going with a 2012 Highball or a 2012 Niner Air 9 RDO which are also on clearance. They look like almost the same bike spec wise.
    I was on the same boat as you and ended up getting the Highball only because was less expensive, lighter (few grams) and the threaded bottom bracket on the Highball.

RDO is a pretty damn sweet frame but you can't go wrong with the Highball
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I almost wish the Jet 9 RDOs weren't on sale right now, because it's making me second-guess my resolve to try a 29er HT. I'm going to try owning only one mtb this year. On the quick demo I did of the medium High Ball, there was a good amount of vertical compliance in the frame, but I wasn't able to try any real trails to see how harsh (or hopefully smooth) it would be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just pulled the trigger on the 2012 Highball in black/red, size large!

I also ordered a black Fox Float 100 OEM fork at the same time. I called Santa Cruz and found out that only authorized dealers have access to the black Float fork. Backcountry.com has the OEM forks on hand, but can only sell them with a new Santa Cruz, so I added one to the order (price is OK). Couldn't stand the thought of a white fork on this frame. I'm building this bike completely from scratch, so I'll be doing a lot of research for the rest of the build.

mtbr member
    After a quick wash

Niner Jet 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice looking bike kevocastro! I'm now thinking about wheels. What do you think of those Black Flags? Are thoses the Black Flag Pro SLs? My only concern as that the rim i.d. is fairly narrow and I want to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike kevocastro! I'm now thinking about wheels. What do you think of those Black Flags? Are thoses the Black Flag Pro SLs? My only concern as that the rim i.d. is fairly narrow and I want to run tubeless.
    Thanks, actually I'm coming back from the LBS and had the chance to get the weight 10.30kg as shown.

Wheels are Blackflag Expert and the have held great on XC and they roll smooth, I've running them tubeless ever since without an issue.
    Niner Jet 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    22.7 lbs. That's very good. Those wheels are a respectable 1900 g (listed), and you could easily drop 300 g (0.66 lbs) with a lighter set such as the Pro SLs. I've never built a mtb under 30 lbs (was into free-ride stuff), so this will be my first time trying to go light. Normally I would stay away from SunRingle, but they have been getting great reviews on the Blackflag wheels.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast