Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

updated cockpit, few more miles

A few hundred miles and I have been really pleased. The ride is super stable and the geometry feels spot on. The BB is low which make is a ripper, i just need to be a little more careful with the pedal strikes. I switched to a negative rise Thomson x4 and an enve flat xc bar and couldn't be happier. The new xtr is great but the brakes steal the show (XTR trail) Maybe most folks have tried 2x10 by now, but it is super sweet. crest wheels have been bomber and the lighter weight is noticeable over the same build with arch's (240'/supercomps) The new Kashima's are buttery smooth and I'm getting almost all of my travel while not diving like crazy on braking or bobbing while mashing out of the saddle. Relaly like the crank brothers foam lock on grips. If you're looking for good water bottle cages arundel's are the way to go. Light , inexpensive , vicelike grip and the easiest entry. Any way, love it. Want a xc race bike? fast trail bike? here you go. I maybe old school, but no FS design can match the aesthetic beauty of a well executed HT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-img_0688.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    18.54 with pedals.

Found a magic gear(30x20), but not quite high enough for me. Will fit a 31x19 next.
    How did you go about making it single speed?

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post
    How did you go about making it single speed?
    Just fit the 31x19 combo with a new chain and everything slides right in.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    18.54 with pedals.

Found a magic gear(30x20), but not quite high enough for me. Will fit a 31x19 next.
    White Industries Eno?

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    This one rides like a charm. Stiff but not harsh, which is great (something that some other carbon based frames are missing). Climbing is simply awesome! A great bike!

I am not in the best shape after nearly 6 weeks of no rides, etc. Yesterday I rode 52.5 KM, 680 meters of total climbing with average speed of 19 KM/H! My fastest on that particular loop.

My build:

Santa Cruz Highball size medium
    Rock Shox Sid 29 XX with remote lock
    Full SRAM XX
    Stan Arch + American Classic Hubs
    Ritchey WCS carbon handlebar and seat post, WCS aluminum stem (-17D)
    Specialized romin saddle
    XTR race pedals
    Zefal water bottle cages (20grams each)

All comes to the amazing total of 9.66 Kg equals to 21.296 lbs (can loose some more weight on the build, but currently that's it).

Enjoy,
    Ofir
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-sc_hb_side_complete.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-sc_hb_sun_rise_1.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-sc_hb_cpit.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-sc_hb_logo.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-sc_hb_sun_rise_4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any smaller guys (5'6" ish) running highballs? How do you find em?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Built this up today. Only been for a quick ride, but first impressions are very good. I need to swap my stem and lower the bar, but apart from that it feels great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-hb3.jpg  

highball build thread and pics-hb2.jpg  

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Looks great! It is a rocket. Love mine!
    Ofir

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here.

Hello guys this is the first time I write, I wanted to ask you what you think of the color gloss carbon / red shortly, but I'm undecided on the color to order.....hello all

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

There is no one who can give me some advice?Can you tell me if the color red is more delicate to be subjected to so to have more scratches over time?ciaooooooooooo

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hello from Portugal this one is mine, my first 29er love it, I really love it
    Thank you SantaCruz, great bike!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The colour red is significantly faster than any other. The matte finish has the ability to absorb the hopes and dreams of your competitors.

Either way, a good choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    Built this up today. Only been for a quick ride, but first impressions are very good. I need to swap my stem and lower the bar, but apart from that it feels great.
    Ciao a tutti, mi chiedevo... sulla highball che tipo di manubrio mi consigliate di metterci ho visto della ENVE che c'e 2 tipi uno senza rise e uno con la piega piu alta ovviamente escludendo il DH e poi stessa cosa per il reggi sella ENVE diritto o con la leggera curvatura ? non so in base a cosa devo fare la scelta

Saluti alessio

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm now using an Easton EC70 flat bar @ 685mm. I've used the ENVE Sweep bar too, and it's very nice. As for the flat/riser question, it simply depends on your personal preference - obviously you won't get the front end as low with a riser bar as you would with a flat, but whether that's an issue for you or not I don't know.

Thanks google.

dor
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

sc highball - reccomended fork

hello everyone.
    im about to run my HB with a fox terralogic 29 2012 fork. the only issue is choosing between the 100mm travel & 15mm axle or the 80mm travel & qr.

any recommendations, from experience with the frame?

thanks!

mtbr member

After a season of racing and riding I finally posted my review of the Highball. All the build spec's are in there too, check it out if you'd like! Clint Claassen: Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er Review
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post

After a season of racing and riding I finally posted my review of the Highball. All the build spec's are in there too, check it out if you'd like! Clint Claassen: Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er Review
    I agree, it is a rocket!

Love every minute on board!

Ofir

Not Bad
    SC have just posted a video this afternoon on their facebook page showing one of their engineers talking about how the Highball is quite capable of jumps and drops etc which is exactly the info I needed to hear!

Santa Cruz Highball - Eurobike 2011 // Mountain Biking Videos

30-ton War Machine
    Any new builds or updates fellas? I am between a HB, A9C, Hunter custom, and possibly the Scott offering.
    Isaac

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    My Highball is simply the best hardtail I've ever owned (my Tallboy is fighting it for best bike!). It comes in at 21.85lbs at the moment, but the weight shaving has already begun and it'll be under 21lbs in a week or two!

More details build pics and specs on my blog here

SOG
    mtbr member
    I love my XL Highball. It took awhile (1-2 mo) to get used to it but I love this bike. There is nothing like reeling 6 inch travel bikes with poppy seat-posts on the DH and completely destroying people on the climbs.Good times and there are some sweet builds here

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

hallo

frame size?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My medium frame arrived last FRI.

Cannibalizing parts from my Tallboy...

Threw down for a new King headset today. Was going to go basic black (again) but
    was mesmerized by a shiny blue one in the glass case at Diablo Mtn Cyclery ( great shop in Walnut Creek CA). Thought it went nicely with the blue top knobs of the fork.

Last edited by enr1co; 11-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogeronquest View Post
    Hello from Portugal this one is mine, my first 29er love it, I really love it
    Thank you SantaCruz, great bike!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice build! I'm loving the rotor crankset and C29ssmax wheels. Did you weigh it yet?
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Monolith,

Sick ride and I can tell you built her nice and light. It seem Rotor cranks are the cats meow on the Highball.

We definitely need to see more Highballs!
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast