Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    On your left.
    Jan 2004

highball build thread and pics

My build with a 2012 XXL frame is coming along and I crossed one hurdle - 2.35 Nobby Nic on Derby rim fits:

~4mm clearance around chainstay:
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389543190.620664.jpg

~5mm clearance around seatstay:
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389543202.087290.jpg
    M

More Torque
    Pretty cool. How about a few pix of the entire bike?

-D (fellow XXL owner)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    awesome. thank you for the confirmation on 2.35. cant wait to mount mine 2.35 hans damf. how does it feel?

mtbr member
    I ran 2,35 Nobby Nics for a short time in a large frame on 21mm ID rims and though there was room for them while on the stand they were close enough that the topcoats of the frame finish was worn away. I would not call them a good idea even though they technically fit.
    I posted while back. It might have been before I realized they were causing erosion. I'll see if I can get photos up tomorrow.
    -G

mtbr member
    Looking at your pictures I see more clearance than I remember on mine. Might be the frame size difference or an improvement to the frame. Mine is an older type with the standard 9mm QR rear drop out.
    I fricken love this bike though. It is the goto for almost everything I ride. I currently am rocking 2,25 Rocket Ron's and I'll say it again, I love it.
    -G

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Looking at your pictures I see more clearance than I remember on mine. Might be the frame size difference or an improvement to the frame. Mine is an older type with the standard 9mm QR rear drop out.
    I fricken love this bike though. It is the goto for almost everything I ride. I currently am rocking 2,25 Rocket Ron's and I'll say it again, I love it.
    -G
    It was earlier posts - maybe yours- that convinced me to buy the 2.35" tire. Mine is also QR - in fact had to remove the skewer to install the wheel. To me the clearance is just acceptable, likely not enough room for a mini fender, but I plan to add some protective tape for peace of mind. Backup plan is 2.25" Rocket Rons.

These Derby rims are 29mm internal. The brand new 2.35" Nobby measured true 2.35" (with tube at ~40psi). A 2.25" Nobby Nic on my old Stan's Arch (21mm internal?) measures true 2.25" (tubeless 25psi). So, the rim width did not seem to measurably increase tire width - this is consistent with what I've read in Derby rim thread. Benefit is the supporting angle and resistance to folding over at low psi - I'm counting on that - hoping to run ~18psi.

I'll be done with my build in a few weeks and will post pics / first impressions then. So far only disappointment is not enough cable guides under top tube. What are the best adhesive ones?
    M

mtbr member

Some 3M helicopter tape would definitely make it better. I hadn't thought of that which is odd since the stuff is all over the rest if the bike. The 2,35 NN live on my Tallboy and I only ride them on the Highball for a short time while the Tallboy was broken.
    I run around 26psi in the back.
    -G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Oh yah, Jagwire. They're medal and can be shaped into the exact contour of the tubes. Zero issues with mine. Prepped the site with rubbing alcohol.
    -G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Changed over to Raceface 30T and 11-36 with XTR clutch RD.
    Worked great today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I tried posting this in the Highball AL thread and got no reply. How does the AL frame stack up against the Carbon one?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just a quick question to you guys ... im starting to doubt myself, ive ordered a GXP crank for my Highball Carbon im building, thats the right sort isnt it? the BB30s are the pressfit types from what ive read.. Cheers in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Just a quick question to you guys ... im starting to doubt myself, ive ordered a GXP crank for my Highball Carbon im building, thats the right sort isnt it? the BB30s are the pressfit types from what ive read.. Cheers in advance.
    Yep, you ordered the right crankset. GXP is threaded, so it will work with the highball frame. BB30/PF30 is pressfit and will not fit the highball.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Yep, you ordered the right crankset. GXP is threaded, so it will work with the highball frame. BB30/PF30 is pressfit and will not fit the highball.

Great I thought id ordered correctly but its nice to know....theres so many different versions of this and that.

mtbr member

Cable Routing Question

For those of you running a 1x setup. Do you find it better to run the RD cable housing on the opposite side of the shifter? It appears the standard RD housing, especially on 2x or 3x setups is to loop the housing back on the same side as the RD shifter. I think this is too much housing out front. I've seen some setups from the pictures on this thread that have the routing on the opposite side. Any suggestions and or problems with either route? Or am I over-thinking this?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    opposite for sure! no issues. I cross it back over behind the last top tube loop just in front of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    opposite for sure! no issues. I cross it back over behind the last top tube loop just in front of the seat tube.
    I saw this on a number of bikes here and was thinking of going that way, I did originally have it passed through the back side of the seat tube, but I like in front better and see less chance of a snag or leg catching. It definitely looks better crossed over on the front IMO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know this is a bad picture since it's a Tallboy, but it addresses the question... I prefer to keep the cable on the same side. I do think it looks better crossing over, but I don't like having to cross back to the drive side by the BB. (I'm looking at this thread because I'm thinking of building a Highball at some point this spring).

On your left.
    Jan 2004

highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1391805962.914021.jpg
    Really crappy low light picture. My goal with this full housing run was to keep it close to the frame, minimal cable rub, look tidy; straight routing wasn't as important. I decided to route the cable to the opposite side (left) of the headtube. I tried it on the same side (right) but didn't like the result when rotating the bars. Zip tied to the brake housing under the toptube, routed behind the seattube, then cross over almost directly under the mono bridge to the underside of the seatstay, then corkscrew around the top of the seatstay and into the derailleur. The X01 derailleur certainly helps. I have clear protective tape at most frame contact areas.
    Last edited by Motivated; 02-07-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    M

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Some slightly better picks of my RD routing. I think the unique features are crossover behind the seattube and using the Jagwire adhesive cable guides - actually 3x under the toptube - and used for the brake line, to which the deraileur cable is attached. The Jagwire guides are designed for use with some cheap plastic clips and I had to remove the center portion of the adhesive pad to make clearance for cable ties.
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392153870.000674.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392153889.433383.jpg
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392153907.750262.jpg
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Some slightly better picks of my RD routing. I think the unique features are crossover behind the seattube and using the Jagwire adhesive cable guides - actually 3x under the toptube - and used for the brake line, to which the deraileur cable is attached. The Jagwire guides are designed for use with some cheap plastic clips and I had to remove the center portion of the adhesive pad to make clearance for cable ties.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153870.000674.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	869001

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153889.433383.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	869002

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392153907.750262.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	869003
    For sure these are better pics. Nice ride! whats the weight?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by scsigoer View Post
    For sure these are better pics. Nice ride! whats the weight?
    23.1lb (10.5kg) ready to ride. Size XXL.
    Last edited by Motivated; 02-11-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    M

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Ride photo:
    highball build thread and pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1394837289.268837.jpg
    Snow on the trails is clearing, so I'm getting a better idea of how this bike rides. I'm really enjoying it. The frame is so intuitive - great balance of stiffness and damping. The build concept is awesome so far. Wide rims (I'm converted for life on these), stiff and light wheels, voluminous tires, 1x11. Simple but very versatile and capable climbing, descending, just riding trails. I love the hardtail responsiveness like in a tall gear nailing it up a rocky climb there is no wallow or loss of efficiency. I love the overall lateral stiffness, especially the fork - the Trace with unicrown is a huge improvement over a Fox 32mm

Only issue so far is the steering. I'd call it a bit darty. I'm not sure if it's the 51mm offset fork, the stem length, or adjusting to wide bars. The steering is sensitive, quick to oversteer and demands a lot of attention. I've had a touch of hand numbness, and my shoulders are sore after riding. I *think* I need to get my weight back a touch. I'll probably switch to a 12deg sweep bar from this 9deg, then a shorter stem.
    Last edited by Motivated; 03-15-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    M

NedwannaB
    Nice build. Abit unique setup given a racey frame. If you like those bars, try shorter stem first before switching. I know it made a big difference for me when I went wider and from flats.

Those Derby hoops are nice. With those cushy tires I bet it's a mini fatbike rocket!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    I'd agree you need a shorter stem. I think the fork is definitely contributing too. The motorcycle front tire probably isn't helping either. But the thing looks sick and would make a fantastic all mountain bike with a short stem.

S4

mtbr member
    Here's some pics of my HBC. 21 lbs 10 oz with pedals. XL frame size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails highball build thread and pics-hb2.jpeg  

highball build thread and pics-hb3.jpeg  

highball build thread and pics-hb4.jpeg  

highball build thread and pics-hb5.jpeg  

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast