Village Dirtbag

Hey- Santa Cruz; It's time for a 29er

I figure people at Santa Cruz probably check this forum now and then, so here is a little note for them.

All of my friends used to ride Blurs. Now 4 out of 5 are on a 29er of some sort- mostly Moots and Gary Fisher. I love my Blur, but am interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. It's about time you guys came out with a 29er of your own. A soft tail would be ideal, as that is a hole you guys have in your lineup anyway.

Bomber
    Who wants to ride 29rs though...To each his own man; Santa Cruz does their own thing, and awesome stuff comes out because of that.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    @dam, you might want to do a search in this forum, a few people bought this issue up before.

If you really want one, get the cousin of Santa Cruz know as Intense VPP Spider 29er.

Surly OG
    Astrix Monk = 29er SL knock off. Hell, I'll likely not buy another SC bike... nationalism being the motivating factor for me.

Intense bicycles will now get my American wages. I love the VPP and while Taiwanese quality is the benchmark, I'm into supporting stateside mfg. "made is America" has a nice ring to me..... rather than jumping into the me too mfg bandwagon, I'll go for the boutique builder, which is what Santa Cruz WAS, but no longer... they're mainstream now.

SC bikes had that boutique flavor,,,, not anymore..... it's all about Mc BLT's and Mc Nomads now......
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Umm... have you looked at many of the newer VPP SC's? Made in the US.

Soy Chingon
    Someone always has to hijack and bring up the Made in the USA issue.

I used to think the 29er bikes were just a fad until last week when I was riding my usual route and I felt/saw someone behind me. So I stomped on my pedals and thought I left them behind. After just a short while the guy pulled up next to me on a Haro 29er hardtail and asked if he could check out my Nomad.

Now I'm not slow, but those 29ers can sure haul a$$. He caught me without breaking a sweat. I wanted to try one out because I love all bikes, and I like to see what makes each type different, but now I want one. I'm interested to see how they handle, how fast they are, and how much tail they pull.

Even if SC doesn't come out with one I still want to try one out.
    Soy Chingon

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Why not just go 69er. Just get the appropriate fork/travel situated. I think you could easily make the new BLT2 a 69er.
    Just "why"? If you are over 6 foot tall, maybe, heavier noodly wheels, slower spin up....that was why we are using 26" now anyways. Maybe just something different and "niche".
    Heck, back in the late 80's early 90's we were riding 46'ers!

mtbr member
    To Santa product manager(s): I'll prefere 650 bike based on SL - simple and clever - for faster rading/racing & lightness, both same time! Wheels on this bike will be light too - not as big as 29" but with all advantages of bigger circle. And other XC bike mayby 69 or 29" - some little stronger wheels nedded and for bigger gays.

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeon
    To Santa product manager(s): I'll prefere 650 bike based on SL - simple and clever - for faster rading/racing & lightness, both same time! Wheels on this bike will be light too - not as big as 29" but with all advantages of bigger circle. And other XC bike mayby 69 or 29" - some little stronger wheels nedded and for bigger gays.
    Can straight guys ride them as well?

Village Dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by audi0phile
    Who wants to ride 29rs though...To each his own man; Santa Cruz does their own thing, and awesome stuff comes out because of that.

Uhhh...did you read my post? 4/5 of my riding buddies want to ride them, to name a few. I also said I love my Blur. How is that implying SC doesn't make awesome stuff.

I live in an area chock full of huge rock gardens. 29ers help you roll through these. That's why I want one.

I don't see what made in USA has to do with wheel size.